This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. "Final Encounter" - The official trailer's music by Steve Baker

User Info: AbsoluteSteve

AbsoluteSteve
7 years ago#1
Some of you might remember Final Fantasy VII's official trailer (from back in 1998), and in particular, it's fine musical composition. Unfortunately, this track doesn't appear on any of Square's official music releases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-toUi9jDc

A little research learns that the track is called "Final Encounter", originally composed by someone called Steve Baker, not Nobuo Uematsu. This has probably been known by some, but it's definitely not common knowledge.

Interestingly enough, a little research learns that the track was actually recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra, and released exclusively on the album "The Hollywood Series - Dangerous Games", which is a collection of musical promos. It's official description is:

"A distinctive collection of themes, promos and commercials written in contemporary cinematic styles. The CD was recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra augmented by contemporary instrumentation."

Perhaps even more interesting, the album contains six versions of the track. The main track (a) is the one heard in the trailer, but there's also a toned-down version with orchestra-only (b), possibly the most interesting one of all other versions. Then there's a shortened 1-minute version with some sort of helicopter effect (c), and a version with only the synthesizer-layer (d). Last, there's a 60 seconds version and 30-seconds version of the main track.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to find more information on this Steve Baker. There are more musicians that go by his name, so it's not always clear who's who. Anyone with better web research skills could surely come up with more information on him, which I think would be interesting.

In any case, you can listen to the tracks here:

http://www2.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/viewcd.cfm?view=1663

Obviously, die-hard FFVII merchandise collectors will need to purchase this CD immediately. ;)
www.facebook.com/absolutesteve

User Info: SharmHedgehog

SharmHedgehog
7 years ago#2
Wow, that is an amazing discovery. Awesome job, dude!
R.I.P. fungivore, 2012-2012

User Info: Roxas_is_Sora_X

Roxas_is_Sora_X
7 years ago#3
I am in love with the (d) one. That synthsizer one would be great for my game I'm making
PLEASE CHECK OUT MY GAME I AM CREATING "THE GILDED GAUNTLET"!
http://forum.fantasyworldcreations.com/fwc-projects/

User Info: sic005

sic005
7 years ago#4
SharmHedgehog posted...

Was discovered by over 447000 people bro.

I'm not sure how I feel about that track, it's good on it's own but it doesn't really feel FFVII.
Cool clip though!
*Flame Shield*

User Info: GrapeKiwi

GrapeKiwi
7 years ago#5
sic005 posted...
SharmHedgehog posted...

I'm not sure how I feel about that track, it's good on it's own but it doesn't really feel FFVII.
Cool clip though!

You probably wouldn't say that if it was actually on the game <_< :D
Hi guys! I'm an ex HoN semi-pro who streams Dota 2 and PS1/PS2 GAMES: currently streaming FF7/Tales of Phantasia
http://www.justin.tv/kawaiikiwix3

User Info: Master_Arbiter4

Master_Arbiter4
7 years ago#6
I can't find this album anywhere on Ebay or Amazon...
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Call Me PeePz * I don't hump the Bible, the Bible humps me
Love the Final Fantasy Series... 16 years old

User Info: sic005

sic005
7 years ago#7
GrapeKiwi posted...
sic005 posted...
SharmHedgehog posted...

Cool clip though!

You probably wouldn't say that if it was actually on the game <_< :D

Sure I would, there's a couple of tracks on it I cant stand. Like the wutai theme. But without sounding like a total fanboy, I'm yet to find another game with such a good ost.
*Flame Shield*

User Info: thinkingofwar

thinkingofwar
7 years ago#8
That trailer and it's spoiler. Glad I never saw any trailers before I played.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. "Final Encounter" - The official trailer's music by Steve Baker
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A