This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Can someone explain Cait Sith to me? (spoilers I guess?)

User Info: Kanjo_Bazooie

Kanjo_Bazooie
9 years ago#1
I don't know if it has to do with the poor translation or if I'm just an idiot - but is Cait Sith always Reeve? I ask this because there are times he acts very out of character (from Reeve's perspective - notably at the Temple of the Ancients).

One second he's this jolly happy cat on top of a moogle prancing around, the next he's Reeve acting like a douche.

Another thing. During Disc 2 right after Rufus gets killed, Reeve is in the conference room with Scarlet and Heidegger. He is also controlling Cait Sith as he does this. Just....how the **** does this work? I understand the radio / blue tooth thing he has going on in his ear, but moving the damn cat? And what about when he's imprisoned by Shinra?

Ugh, would've been so much easier if Reeve just walked around in the costume himself.
2011 New York Giants: 4-2 Next: MIA
(Not changing this part until A-Rod or Horseface are gone)

User Info: The_Turk_Killer

The_Turk_Killer
9 years ago#2
Reeve doesn't appear to control Cait Sith with a joystick, more like Reeve is in command of him. It also seems Reeve can see and speak through cait Sith whenever he wishes. Cait Sith himself is a robot with sophisticated AI.

Of course there is more than one Cait Sith. The first one sacrifices himself so the group can get the black materia.
We may be retreating, but... we're still victorious.

Kanjo_Bazooie
9 years ago#3
^I'm aware of this, but that last part always confused me.

How there is only one Cait Sith and to always remember him, it was like if the robot was actually talking for himself. There's a lot of other times where this seems to be the case.

EDIT: And how did Cait Sith #2 get there so quickly o_O?

The_Turk_Killer
9 years ago#4
That's because he was talking for himself, he was expressing his individuality. Even though Cait Siths are made on some factory line somewhere, that Cait Sith was unique. It was the only one of him. No other Cait Sith had the experiences he did.

Perhaps Cait Sith #1's redemption was intended to make us ponder what it is to be alive?

I really liked the the character, personally. People hate him because of his percieved betrayal and won't see past that. He was only following orders after all. During the events at the TOTA was him thinking for himself and made a sacrifice similar to Aerith, and others.

User Info: squarepox

squarepox
9 years ago#5
The_Turk_Killer posted...
That's because he was talking for himself, he was expressing his individuality. Even though Cait Siths are made on some factory line somewhere, that Cait Sith was unique. It was the only one of him. No other Cait Sith had the experiences he did.

Perhaps Cait Sith #1's redemption was intended to make us ponder what it is to be alive?

I really liked the the character, personally. People hate him because of his percieved betrayal and won't see past that. He was only following orders after all. During the events at the TOTA was him thinking for himself and made a sacrifice similar to Aerith, and others.

Interesting. Deep. But... isn't Cait Sith two entities: the Cat and the thing he sits on top of?.....With Reeve controlling both the cat and his symbiont..thing?
MTV: Maternity Television for insecure middle school children.

User Info: AlmasNo1Fan

AlmasNo1Fan
9 years ago#6
I always viewed him as like Robo in CT
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/yeahthatboy/gamefaqsqueens.png
By: ilikeikeilikeik

The_Turk_Killer
9 years ago#7
squarepox posted...

Interesting. Deep.

Yeah maybe I'm looking into it a little too much, but then again life and death is a huge theme running through this game and I think it's a shame this event should be overlooked. He is possibly the most misunderstood character in the entire FF series and the first Cait Sith will always be a legend in my eyes. I haven't had a playthrough in a while, but that part is one I never look forward to. His final moments in the temple where he's asking not to be forgotten and he falls over gets me every time.

But... isn't Cait Sith two entities: the Cat and the thing he sits on top of?.....With Reeve controlling both the cat and his symbiont..thing?

According to the bios in the manual (the UK one at least) Cait Sith sits atop a giant stuffed mog he "magically brought to life."

I'm not sure what to make of that, but I think it's fair to say Cait Sith refers to the cat specifically. We don't see the mog in the rest of the compilation, and the name Cait Sith comes from an old Scottish myth of a fairy that would take the form of a black cat with a white breast and haunt the Highlands. It was always my understanding that Cait Sith was some kind of sophisticated AI while the mog was a stuffed toy he rode around on.

As for Reeve physically controlling him, there are parts of the game that suggest he has the capability to directly control Cait Sith's movements, but even if this is true for the most part Cait Sith must have been moving and acting independently as there are times when it would have been impossible for him not to be. In fact, even when Reeve is using him to speak to Cloud and the others I don't think there's any real evidence to suggest he is being physically manipulated as well. When the keystone is stolen and there's a line that goes something like, "kill me if you want my real body's back at Shinra HQ I'm controlling this cat from there" I think a poor choice of words and bad translation gives the wrong impression because this contradicts things we see later on.

Kanjo_Bazooie
9 years ago#8
There's one other thing I forgot too.

In the Temple of the Ancients, I was reminded by your post about the tripping. He says "Ow" a few times. If Reeve is talking - why would he say ow?

User Info: redmagegirl

redmagegirl
9 years ago#9
I've always seen Cait Sith as being extremely high-tech AI, capable of journeying with Cloud and co. with only occasional periods of Reeve taking direct control. So in a way, Cait Sith does have his own personality and he only behaves like Reeve when Reeve is in control.

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
9 years ago#10
Caith Sith is my favorite character in FF7 (and Reeve) and I pay close attention to them when I play through FF7 :) As far as I can tell, I don't think there's any evidence that Reeve is controlling Cait Sith's physical movements.

Think of Cait Sith as a robot that reports to Reeve and does what he says, but still has his own AI and thoughts and actions. There are times Reeve can talk through Cait Sith, but other than that, he doesn't have any DIRECT control over him. But if Reeve issues commands to him, Cait Sith would follow (in his own way).

In other words, Reeve can tell Cait Sith what to do, and even what to say, and he'll do it as he's told. His exact methods of how he relays these commands to the cat is not exactly understood, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Reeve's just issuing commands, including speech commands (which come out sounding like Reeve rather than Cait's normal "personality")

So I think the two can be mixed pretty closely together--as long as Cait Sith is following the commands--even speech commands--the rest of his actions can still be his own.

And the mog is like a doll brought to life, but not part of Cait Sith himself. Think of it like the cat's pet or familiar. It just does his bidding since a tiny cat robot thing probably can't punch as hard as the big fat mog. And that's why Cait Sith yells at it with the megaphone.

When he trips, that's Cait Sith saying ow. Because he tripped O_o
Just wake me up when Tokimeki Memorial 4 is announced.
g Rod "hing RodCopper Fishin For fishing.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Can someone explain Cait Sith to me? (spoilers I guess?)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A