This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Why is Sephiroth a "one-winged angel"?

User Info: JoelIncarnation

JoelIncarnation
11 years ago#21

I am really surprised no one actually knows this already. I thought it was common knowledge.
It is a reference to Lucifer in Paradise Lost. The epic poem meant to be read in your junior year of high school (or at least that was in my case, I took AP Rhetorical English).
When Lucifer fought against god to gain control over the cosmos, god took away one of his wings and cast him down to hell along with his followers. Thus, making him the One Winged Angel.

User Info: Spartan72

Spartan72
11 years ago#22
"gain control over the cosmos"

Yeah, we hit the jackpot XD.

User Info: DaRealGodofWar

DaRealGodofWar
11 years ago#23
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

User Info: Redcoffee1

Redcoffee1
11 years ago#24
I am really surprised no one actually knows this already. I thought it was common knowledge.
It is a reference to Lucifer in Paradise Lost. The epic poem meant to be read in your junior year of high school (or at least that was in my case, I took AP Rhetorical English).
When Lucifer fought against god to gain control over the cosmos, god took away one of his wings and cast him down to hell along with his followers. Thus, making him the One Winged Angel.

Well, I heard somewhere that there are 5 epic poems that are considered uber-classics: Paradise Lost, Divine Comedy, The Lusiads, The Odyssey and Illiad. I'm guessing Paradise Lost is only common knowledge in countries where English is the main language. Here in Brazil we had to read The Lusiads, the classic of the Portuguese Language. I'm sure in Italy they have to read Divine Comedy.
Hey yo, I don't negotiate
R&B chicks want me to procreate
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Why is Sephiroth a "one-winged angel"?
  • Topic Archived