• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Is FFIX An Anti-Introvert Game?

User Info: wpot

wpot
2 months ago#11
FF was (at least in that era) certainly an innovator/leader, but they still apparently had to follow the rule. Relm/Yuffie/Selphie/Eiko/Rikku. Some were better than others (Yuffie was thoughtful/sneaky, for example) but they were all filling the requirement. None of them really should have been walking around with a highly-effective group of people trying to save the world IMO.

"Mastermind" sounds good...I'll run with that. I like complex board games, if that fits. :) I oversee one type of (typically large) projects for a DOT.
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.

User Info: MsRenndilya

MsRenndilya
2 months ago#12
Well it would be more effective to have nothing but highly trained, mature, skilled people saving the world or existence itself. The cast of FFII(original)were all serious, focused, to the point people. The WoL(s) even though they had no personalities in the original I imagine were all perfect soldiers as well. The cast can all have different personalities but still 100% functional and no nonesense.

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#13
wpot posted...
I dunno...Zidane likes more or less everyone and he's the hero of the game. I think it's something more like more "Others need you and you need them; you'll be stronger/greater if you work together and help each other." (Personality aside)

Basically this. Being a loner is fine, but Amarant (for example) is not a healthy loner. He’s resentful, doesn’t want to help others, and doesn’t seek help when he clearly needs it.

Compare him to Vivi, who is also clearly not a social butterfly. However, Vivi is the first to reach out and see the value in the lives of the enslaved mages before anyone else. He wanders the world by himself, but in doing so he actively seeks meaning in life and values the meaning of the lives of others. He doesn’t need to be an extrovert, but he holds no resentment towards other common people (and non-humans), instead he values them. His main development path isn’t “fixing” anything wrong with himself, but just finding meaning in his own life and seeing the worth in others.

Also worth noting that these games were written by people with different cultural factors influencing their own struggles and ideas.
In Japan, they have a huge problem with human connections. With young men truly becoming hermits (not introverts, but hermits), relationships/marriages becoming hollow shells because of a complete lack of intimacy and a “co-worker”-esq dynamic being shared amongst many spouses, a general lack of affection even amongst close friends or parents and such. Obviously I’m going off of present day info, but these issues didn’t come from nowhere so I’m sure these things were developing 20 years ago. Especially when you consider that eastern cultures are known to be much more communal compared to “western individualism”, it would likely stand out even more to see communities dissolve into detachment and solitude as the country became more westernized in the modern era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
(message deleted)

User Info: wpot

wpot
2 months ago#15
MsRenndilya posted...
Well it would be more effective to have nothing but highly trained, mature, skilled people saving the world or existence itself. The cast of FFII(original)were all serious, focused, to the point people. The WoL(s) even though they had no personalities in the original I imagine were all perfect soldiers as well. The cast can all have different personalities but still 100% functional and no nonesense.
Right. I'm OK with (and like) varying personalities, but it's hard for me to accept someone that doesn't meet a basic level of competence or (perhaps more to the point) the ability to bear down and focus when the world is in danger.

Really, FF8 and FF9 have a similar theme here. In FF8 they try to teach Squall to open up, care about others, and let them help him for the entire game. He's ultimately rewarded by the plot when he gives in and does stupid things (i.e. the space sequence) on the behalf of others. That doesn't work very well because he was just about the only competent person in the game up until that point and everything seems like a cartoon from then on. (Well, yes, the cartoon feeling probably starts earlier than that...but you get my point) FF8 needed a more competent cast for a number of reasons, although - yes - I can accept some immaturity given their youth.
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#16
It is worth noting that introverts can actually enjoy small talk and appear very social during those conversations, they just don't want to stay in that situation for too long.

Also, people can be more or less introverted or extroverted at different point in their lives;
when I was in school I would pretty much always hang out with at least 4-5 friends almost every single recess, and I think the reason why that worked for me was because it was mostly in short bursts of maybe 30-40 minutes at a time - we would also usually do things like play card games, throw darts and play air hockey, which allowed me to focus a lot on those games, and this also made it a lot easier to have casual conversations in general.
It's mostly those "mingle" situations when people are supposed to just "make small talk" with each other about random topics that I find a bit awkward - it's like "okay, so that was that, what the hell do I say now?", lol.
I changed the signature again, trollolol.

User Info: xiutye

xiutye
2 months ago#17
My take on Amarant was rather than being a true loner he was a fairly social person innately who had been hurt and didn't feel the risk of being hurt by people again was worth it. His reaction to Zidane helping him (why bother, you gain nothing from helping me yada) could be taken as an expression of his own attitude towards helping others, or what he's come to expect from others. Or both. I saw it more as that second thing, like "you're acting differently than I'm used to people treating me, what's your angle?" because he's forgotten that sometimes there isn't an angle.
Some of Amarant's introversion can be put down to the archetype/trope he's based on. The "wandering swordsman" type guy.
I judge everyone based on their sig. If you wanna judge me for that, go ahead.
(message deleted)

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#19
I felt like Amarant was a classic example of someone who seemed like he tried to be cool.
Compare that to, say, Auron in FF10 - that guy is naturally cool without making a big deal out of it.
I changed the signature again, trollolol.
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Is FFIX An Anti-Introvert Game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A