• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. There Should Be Guns In FFIX's World.

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
1 month ago#11
EgoKiller801 posted...
FF X kind of has this problem for me with guns. You get peppered with guns in battle quite a lot and shrug it off, but I remember at least one part in the story where you get held up with guns being pointed at you. It's like 'Bro! You eat bullets for breakfast! You'll be fine!' lol.

This is kinda the same with swords and knives though. Like, there’s no way to inflict damage using one of those weapons without at least mutilating the person in some way.

Like, if your main character has a sword, then that means this guy has been slitting throats, slicing stomachs and allowing your enemy’s entrails to spill onto the floor, beheading people, cutting off arms, impaling people, causing wounds to arteries that cause your foe to slowly bleed to death painfully over an extended agonizing period of time... etc etc

And yet that same guy will be dooming hundreds of low level (likely forcefully conscripted) common soldiers to such horrible fates. And upon confronting your Hitler-tier big bad antagonist, they’ll suddenly find themselves saying that they need to show mercy to this monster or else they’ll be just as bad as him.

And of course, to tie back into your main point, there’s also the fact that your characters will be getting sliced up by blades for days and somehow will still act as if a sword is a threat in a plot segment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
1 month ago#12
The Final Fantasy games aren't quite as medieval as a lot of people think.
Even the very first game in the series had one part where you teleport into space and there are robots walking around everywhere, and FF4 had you fly to the moon.

I would say that a typical FF setting is that it is mostly medieval, but then with a bunch of futuristic elements thrown in during the second half of the game.
I changed the signature again, trollolol.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MsRenndilya

MsRenndilya
1 month ago#13
EgoKiller801 posted...
I kinda like how it is without them. I really think FF IX has the perfect mix of medieval fantasy and steam punk. It's not that I don't think they couldn't fit though. They would have had to be done well for it to make sense and not break immersion too. FF X kind of has this problem for me with guns. You get peppered with guns in battle quite a lot and shrug it off, but I remember at least one part in the story where you get held up with guns being pointed at you. It's like 'Bro! You eat bullets for breakfast! You'll be fine!' lol. I get that battles are a different ball park than story after all (FF VII comes to mind, with an enemy that has an attack that literally calls a supernova that blasts through planets lol), but it does break my immersion to an extent.

I'm also just hesitant to consider change with this game though too, because to me it's close to a perfect RPG.

Yeah, FFX is full of logic holes. That part always made no sense to me. I'm still not sure how Square can always manage to make logic holes all the time. The FFX cast should not be afraid of guns anymore so than they're afraid of giant temple guardian dragons. I'm sure a giant dragon hits harder than a shotgun and they fight mechas and beasts in plot as well. So the story gameplay disconnect doesn't work to explain the fallacy away. At least in FFVII AC they actually made the heroes superhuman and Cloud is bullet resistent.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. There Should Be Guns In FFIX's World.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers