You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. So, I got Excalibur II, but...

User Info: roachbusters

roachbusters
1 month ago#1
...it turns out I missed one of Stiltzkin's deals. So looks like I won't be getting all 4 ribbons. Is there any way I can hack the game or cheat to obtain a fourth ribbon? I went through all this hell to do a perfect game (I followed Atomos's guide to the letter and didn't miss anything missable...well, except that fourth ribbon). I can't believe I did that.

roachbusters
1 month ago#2
I forgot to clarify: PS4 version.

User Info: Atomos199

Atomos199
1 month ago#3
Ouch, that is really unfortunate.

The last deal has rare gems, so you can easily check whether it was this one that you missed. If so and if you kept earlier saves, then it's not that far back and you can use the PS4 cheats to make getting back to Disc 4 easier. If you have save files from earlier points, you can also reload and potentially check via comparison which deal you missed, but it would take a while to get back to the end.

I don't know whether there are cheat methods for PS4, but on the PS1 or PS2 it would be very simple to hack in the extra ribbon with any cheat device like GameShark.
I never gained supreme ulti-complete status. I projected my mind ~3 years into the future and realized it was going to be a waste of time.
~ bastardpoetry

roachbusters
1 month ago#4
I just checked. It was the Bran Bal deal I missed.

Would anyone think lesser of me if I used boosters to quickly catch back up? I DID obtain Excalibur II the first time 100% legitimately.

User Info: david_crockett9

david_crockett9
1 month ago#5
I don't think anyone is going to hold it against you if you, after getting the Excalibur II, used the speed boosters to re-get it because you had to play from an earlier save?
Aspiring village idiot
LoL ign: downrightdavid

roachbusters
1 month ago#6
david_crockett9 posted...
I don't think anyone is going to hold it against you if you, after getting the Excalibur II, used the speed boosters to re-get it because you had to play from an earlier save?

Right.

Anyway, I just restarted my earlier save and got it again. This time I bought Stiltzkin's deal. So now I'll have the perfect amount of ribbons AND Excalibur II.

User Info: enricocos

enricocos
1 month ago#7
roachbusters posted...

Would anyone think lesser of me if I used boosters to quickly catch back up? I DID obtain Excalibur II the first time 100% legitimately.

Well, I wouldn't, but I think it's about whether you are okay with it or not. Like, there was a time when I was trying to get everyone to Max natural HP and MP in FF7, including Aerith, but somehow I messed up Aerith's MP by level 90 and I overwrote my backup save after that. There was no way to go back a few saves, so I decided to hack her MP to the right value and continue from there, but in my mind I knew what I had done and I couldn't accept it, so I just gave up. A few years later I played the PS4 version and I did it using the booster to speed things up, and I'm totally fine with that.
FFIX E2PG challenge completed.
Check out my progress: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv02_dqBtGsWDVZ4VF8DpqXiu3yniJlFe
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Atomos199

Atomos199
1 month ago#8
enricocos posted...
roachbusters posted...

Well, I wouldn't, but I think it's about whether you are okay with it or not. Like, there was a time when I was trying to get everyone to Max natural HP and MP in FF7, including Aerith, but somehow I messed up Aerith's MP by level 90 and I overwrote my backup save after that. There was no way to go back a few saves, so I decided to hack her MP to the right value and continue from there, but in my mind I knew what I had done and I couldn't accept it, so I just gave up. A few years later I played the PS4 version and I did it using the booster to speed things up, and I'm totally fine with that.

It's just flipping a bunch of 0-1 electrical switches in the memory card. Doing it all over from scratch doesn't change or prove anything, IMO, esp. when it's a completely segmented challenge. But I can understand where you're coming from, I was there once.
I never gained supreme ulti-complete status. I projected my mind ~3 years into the future and realized it was going to be a waste of time.
~ bastardpoetry

User Info: etony33

etony33
1 month ago#9
That is brutal. I am so sorry.

Do you have a save in Bran Bal? I never save over anything during the challenge. I have a PS3 memory card adapter, and I just transfer all saves to a virtual memory card on my PS3. Not sure how that works on PS4, but it's definitely worth keeping as many saves as possible.

Starting over from Bran Bal would really suck, but at least there's only one super hard segment (YNA) unless you need to make up a ton of time by having fewer encounters than what the guide calls for while doing the NFSQ.
Come read about my Excalibur II Perfect Game progress!
Exiipg2.blogspot.com

User Info: etony33

etony33
1 month ago#10
I had to redo multiple segments on three different occasions last time (Dali underground to Lindblum - Mognet letter, Burmecia to Cleyra's Trunk - Mognet letter, Dali detour to just after Tantarian - buying 99 Leather Wrist rather than 99 Leather Hat).

It sucks, but at least you can usually do them more quickly because of the familiarity with them.
Come read about my Excalibur II Perfect Game progress!
Exiipg2.blogspot.com
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. So, I got Excalibur II, but...