Amarant Hatred

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Wwwyzzerrdd

Wwwyzzerrdd
4 months ago#1
A lot of my friends say they hate this character, but I remember always using him when he becomes available. Is this a real thing or just within my friend circle?

User Info: Happy2lucky

Happy2lucky
4 months ago#2
A lot of people dislike him because he 'is unimportant/doesn't add to the story', a similar reason is given for why people dislike Quina. I find, however, that whilst he certainly isn't the most important character in the game, he does have his moments (Ipsen's Castle springs to mind). He is the opposite of Zidane in many ways - Zidane goes out of his way to help people for no reason at all (it's even in his tagline thingy!) whilst Amarant is (until the player party meets him) seemingly only out for himself and doesn't understand why Zidane does what he does, etc. etc. I think he's an interesting and worthwhile character anyway, and does, contrary to popular belief, have some character growth. This is of course hindered by the fact we're around halfway through the game, maybe more, by the time he is introduced.

As for combat, I believe some people criticise him because he's not as good a physical attacker as Zidane, Steiner, or even Freya (? not sure about that one actually), some say his abilities aren't great, I dunno, I never really use throw because I don't like the wastefulness of it, some of his flair (is that what it's called) abilities can be useful sometimes. Regardless, the game is easy enough that one can use any party really. In most of my previous playthroughs, I've pretty much rotated and used a bit of everyone just for fun, although in my most recent one where I was just trying to get through the game relatively quickly, I just stuck to the same party, which didn't include Amarant, as soon as the game allowed.

Anyway, to answer your question, yeah some people do hate/dislike him, but I really think he's a decent enough character.
Currently playing: Fallout 4

User Info: wpot

wpot
4 months ago#3
People mostly dislike his character as he isn't very involved in the storyline. That said, I always think that misses the point. He exists to develop Zidane's character because he's an anti-Zidane. He's not supposed to be terribly special/interesting; he exists to show why Zidane IS special/interesting/heroic. He's not supposed to be involved in the storyline (because he's self-interested).

To that end, I think he works.
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.

User Info: meanspirit90

meanspirit90
4 months ago#4
What grind my gear is when people were so hating Amarant, it cloud their judgement on technical aspect of the game. While his abilities is not very special, I found it too far to call it useless. Might as well say Eiko is useless as summoner or Garnet is useless as White Mage.
Thirst of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Just go back to your beer

User Info: ShizuruKuwabara

ShizuruKuwabara
4 months ago#5
Happy2lucky posted...
A lot of people dislike him because he is unimportant/doesn't add to the story.

User Info: the_quickness

the_quickness
4 months ago#6
I always liked Amarant. He wasn't flat out evil, he just never had someone to show him the way, like Zidane had with Baku and the Tantalus group. He's capable of learning and changing his ways, but he's still headstrong.
"What if it was just one guy with six guns?" "Why don't you let me do the thinking, genius?"
- Boondock Saints

User Info: sano83

sano83
4 months ago#7
I hated him since I finished my first playthrough, and my hate only grow higher and higher.
He is bad storywise, that part on Ipsen castle that was talked before, he doesnt learn anything, just lose the bet and have to be rescued. Then he continue acting the same way.
Then there is that flashback in front of the action house, that is there just to make Zidane look good.
His abilities in battle are the worst in the party. You have to set the stones right for every enemy to make full damage (while others have fixed damage, or not damage dealers at all). Most of them I used then just every couple of playthroughs so I see the animations, but there is really no point. Sure, you can hit the enemy and make it count down. But you can kill it faster with almost any other character.
Aura is fine, but the main character is a thief, and there are Ethers freaking everwhere, so there is really no point.
Lastly (for now) the desing is hideous, I dont know if they where trying to go the normal human or a humanoid. He looks like he have an oversized bike helmet.

meanspirit90 posted...
Might as well say Eiko is useless as summoner

Phoenix is great, Madeen does a lot of damage (though she does have Holy, so might as well cast that). Ruby is meh, Fenrir is meh, as both need to dedicate the Add On slot to make it good.
meanspirit90 posted...
Garnet is useless as White Mage

What does make Garnet useless as a White Mage? For starter, she is the only white mage you get for a whole bunch of the game. She is missing Full-Life and Holy, though.

On the other hand, you have to know what you are going to fight before the fight start to make Amarant do good damage. And even then is not guaranteed.
I know you are exagerating, I just dont see it.

In resume, he is just there to have 8 characters. Any other NPC would have been better (Baku, Beatrix, Lani, Baku, Marcus, Cinna, Baku, the other thief dude, Stiltzkin, Baku, Tot, Cid as a frog, Cid as an Oglop, Baku.).

Quina IS a basic character, but the core of the character is the food, and that gets resolved on Qu`s Dwelling. And He/She is great in battle.
Know, live, become a frog!
VS>FFT>FF IX=DA:O>FF V=CC=PE2>FF VIII=FF XII=ME3=CT>FF X=FF VII=PE>FF III>FF IV>FF VI

User Info: Ultima_Wraith

Ultima_Wraith
4 months ago#8
sano83 posted...
I hated him since I finished my first playthrough, and my hate only grow higher and higher.
He is bad storywise, that part on Ipsen castle that was talked before, he doesnt learn anything, just lose the bet and have to be rescued. Then he continue acting the same way.
Then there is that flashback in front of the action house, that is there just to make Zidane look good.
His abilities in battle are the worst in the party. You have to set the stones right for every enemy to make full damage (while others have fixed damage, or not damage dealers at all). Most of them I used then just every couple of playthroughs so I see the animations, but there is really no point. Sure, you can hit the enemy and make it count down. But you can kill it faster with almost any other character.
Aura is fine, but the main character is a thief, and there are Ethers freaking everwhere, so there is really no point.
Lastly (for now) the desing is hideous, I dont know if they where trying to go the normal human or a humanoid. He looks like he have an oversized bike helmet.

meanspirit90 posted...
Might as well say Eiko is useless as summoner

Phoenix is great, Madeen does a lot of damage (though she does have Holy, so might as well cast that). Ruby is meh, Fenrir is meh, as both need to dedicate the Add On slot to make it good.
meanspirit90 posted...
Garnet is useless as White Mage

What does make Garnet useless as a White Mage? For starter, she is the only white mage you get for a whole bunch of the game. She is missing Full-Life and Holy, though.

On the other hand, you have to know what you are going to fight before the fight start to make Amarant do good damage. And even then is not guaranteed.
I know you are exagerating, I just dont see it.

In resume, he is just there to have 8 characters. Any other NPC would have been better (Baku, Beatrix, Lani, Baku, Marcus, Cinna, Baku, the other thief dude, Stiltzkin, Baku, Tot, Cid as a frog, Cid as an Oglop, Baku.).

Quina IS a basic character, but the core of the character is the food, and that gets resolved on Qu`s Dwelling. And He/She is great in battle.

Enjoyment of Quina is usually directly linked to what you feed it. Eventually Quina becomes an absolute monster in their own right.
| 3DS Friend Code 0430-8284-1167 | When bored, I post impromptu song lyrics | PSN : UltimaWraith

User Info: sano83

sano83
4 months ago#9
Ultima_Wraith posted...
Enjoyment of Quina is usually directly linked to what you feed it. Eventually Quina becomes an absolute monster in their own right.

Obviously. And I am a Blue Mage fan, it is, tied with thief, my favourite Job by a lot.
Know, live, become a frog!
VS>FFT>FF IX=DA:O>FF V=CC=PE2>FF VIII=FF XII=ME3=CT>FF X=FF VII=PE>FF III>FF IV>FF VI

User Info: Ultima_Wraith

Ultima_Wraith
4 months ago#10
sano83 posted...
Ultima_Wraith posted...

Obviously. And I am a Blue Mage fan, it is, tied with thief, my favourite Job by a lot.

I liked the alchemist job, was a neat way to save on items and get more bang out of it. Though it's not used often enough.
| 3DS Friend Code 0430-8284-1167 | When bored, I post impromptu song lyrics | PSN : UltimaWraith

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived