• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Why Necron is actually genius. FFIX spoilers.

User Info: Val_6

Val_6
4 years ago#1
I've been thinking about the appearance of Necron in Final Fantasy IX a lot recently and I realized something. Necron's appearance is so genius that it completely went over everyone's head. People say he came out of nowhere. In reality he was the main antagonist from the very beginning. Here's my explanation:

The main theme in Final Fantasy IX is death and how to deal with death. Most of the characters in the game go through it. Most famously Vivi who finds out he was created and has a short lifespan. He has no concept of death prior and this new knowledge terrifies him. Zidane finds out that he was created on another planet for the sole purpose of killing the inhabitants of Gaia who he grew up around and loves. Garnett who's adopted father dies sometime before the start of the game, which begins the start of her adopted mom going crazy. Brahne dies at the Lifa tree and Garnett has to sail across the ocean to take moms corpse back to their homeland. She also finds out that almost all of the village where she is from is wiped out in an attack by Garland when she was a child. Most importantly to this explanation is Kuja. Kuja thought he was an immortal but finds out that he too has a shelf life. He basically was a prototype of Zidane, who was a prototype to Mikoto. This infuriates him and he wants to destroy everything because he's mad at the world.

At the end of the game Zidane speaks to Necron. Necron claims all life wants to perish. Zidane rejects that idea and decides to fight him. This is significant because Necron is literally the physical embodiment of death. He is death itself. It's not just his name that suggests that. Where does he come from? Well what happens right before he appears? You fought and defeated Kuja, but you don't do it unscathed. Kuja with the last of his energy casts Ultima. It's at this point that you either die or almost die. You go to the zero world and basically stand up to death itself: Necron. Here's more proof that this was intended. The original boss of FFIX was not Necron nor was it ever meant to be Kuja. The original boss was Hades. Hades, as in god of death and the underworld. It also explains the moaning when Zidane and company first find themselves in the zero world. Those are the souls of the dead. So all these characters who have been plagued with death in their lives finally defeat it. Kuja saves you from the explosion in the zero world. Why? because he was inspired by your courage against death itself. Your will to live inspires him so much that he is finally able to accept his fate. He saves you. This is essential for explaining his character change at the end. I found this to be one of the deepest moments in video games period.

User Info: aladore384

aladore384
4 years ago#2
Again with the Lifa tree?
1 line break(s), 121 characters allowed

Val_6
4 years ago#3
aladore384 posted...
Again with the Lifa tree?

What? No. This is not about the Lifa tree

User Info: aladore384

aladore384
4 years ago#4
Popular mispelling :

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Iifa_Tree
1 line break(s), 121 characters allowed
(message deleted)

Val_6
4 years ago#6
aladore384 posted...
Popular mispelling :

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Iifa_Tree

Oh I thought you were going somewhere else with that. Interesting. I've beaten this game at least 20 times and I always thought it was Lifa.

User Info: PumpkinBelmont

PumpkinBelmont
4 years ago#7
Uh, another Iifa Tree topic I see.

User Info: terran3999999

terran3999999
4 years ago#8
Where to begin?

Didn't know it was 1999/2000 again. People know what Necron is, people just don't like him. He really did come out of nowhere and there wasn't any decent foreshadowing about him at all. Kuja made the far better villain, just look at how he's picked over lame ass ExDeath copycat for Dissidia.

You want a boss that was done right? Nyx from P3. Nice spoilers too.

Why did you make a similar topic on the FF XV board? Curious about that.

Uh, another Iifa Tree topic I see.

Did you even bother to read through his entire first post? That's not what the topic is about. He's arguing that since Necron represents a physical manifestation of death he's been there all along. The problem is the writing doesn't foreshadow that at all nor really eludes to it.
Amarant>>sano83. Amarant can deal max damage, what can sano83 do? Number of people who agree: 1.

User Info: EuroE

EuroE
4 years ago#9
I agree with your sentiments, OP. Can you provide a source regarding Hades being the original final boss?
I make EDM (Psytrance/Dubstep/Progressive House/Trance)
soundcloud.com/teryak

User Info: terran3999999

terran3999999
4 years ago#10
Maybe this can help:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197338-final-fantasy-ix/66312835

Notice espritduo's post, he comments about how there's basically no artwork at all about Necron which only seems to further the idea that he was shoved in at last minute.
Amarant>>sano83. Amarant can deal max damage, what can sano83 do? Number of people who agree: 1.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Why Necron is actually genius. FFIX spoilers.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A