• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Final Fantasy 9000 References

User Info: aspilanti84

aspilanti84
5 years ago#1
Seriously, that's what this game is. And that's what everyone considers to be the strong point of the game. But what's so good about a game that uses Final Fantasy references when all Final Fantasy games (except for I) have been doing it?

Final Fantasy 9 is good, but not better than the games it takes from. What do any of you have against actually playing the original games? I think you just like the awesomely high (for its time) quality graphics if anything (and the fact that at one point, to promote the game, the Sakaguchi said it was his favorite - ah yes the good ol' Sakaguchi stamp of approval: works well on anything and everything).

User Info: verylatebloomer

verylatebloomer
5 years ago#2
my gosh you are right! in fact, as i read through your topics i realize you have never been wrong! please continue posting! maybe two or three "new" topics per day! i look forward to these with all of my being!
Sentry3X8A Dg Lvl23 522 hp S42 Hit%101 Mdef72 Abs54 Dmg50
161219XP 3527g 3H 3P 1Pa Ice[S] Stl[A] Slv[Sh] Slv[H] Slv[G]+L mako, Drg[S], ore

aspilanti84
5 years ago#3
verylatebloomer posted...
my gosh you are right! in fact, as i read through your topics i realize you have never been wrong! please continue posting! maybe two or three "new" topics per day! i look forward to these with all of my being!

Sarcasm.

"Garnet: Is this how you want to solve the problem?"

Well? Do you?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
5 years ago#4
I love this game because it has a beautiful atmosphere and excellent music, asks great questions about life, and in general is very fun to play.
And by the way, this was my very first Final Fantasy game when I tried it out for the first time in 2000, so no, I didn't like it because of Hironobu Sakaguchi, because I didn't even know who he was, lol (if anything, I loved it largely because of Nobuo Uematsu, who I consider to have just as much feel for melodies as Mozart).
And obviously I didn't know about the whole reference to earlier games thing either, since I had never played them back then.

aspilanti84
5 years ago#5
Peter_19 posted...
I love this game because it has a beautiful atmosphere and excellent music, asks great questions about life, and in general is very fun to play.
And by the way, this was my very first Final Fantasy game when I tried it out for the first time in 2000, so no, I didn't like it because of Hironobu Sakaguchi, because I didn't even know who he was, lol (if anything, I loved it largely because of Nobuo Uematsu, who I consider to have just as much feel for melodies as Mozart).
And obviously I didn't know about the whole reference to earlier games thing either, since I had never played them back then.

Fair enough. This was my fourth game (behind 6, 7 & 8). I was surprised by the tone, a little put off by it but gave it a chance and liked it so far...

But then the Freya dance happened. Really, Freya just dances? It's one of their most important dances the Burmecians have, and she doesn't even bother to change out of her battle clothes? (Stuff that goes over you head when you're a kid.) And that riverdance!!! Ugh!!! Wth am I watching?! Wtf is this sh*t?! Cringe alert. She's named after a Norse God dancing to Irish tunes.

:-/

Feels weird, man. Not magical, just weird.

When I replayed the older games, I liked them because they were pure. FF1 & FF2 for PsX, Origins. FF9 was like a cheap knock off in comparison, something like Disney would produce. Those were the roots. Tactics blew it out the water, and FFV has the most amazing gameplay I've ever played in an old school FF.

In the end, it's still in my FF collection, off to the side. Glad I played it, not anxious to replay it again.

User Info: Vegeta828

Vegeta828
5 years ago#6
Another Aspi hate topic. Here we go...
I cried out, I am slipping! But your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me. When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer. - Psalm 94

User Info: TheHumanHumour

TheHumanHumour
5 years ago#7
Vegeta828 posted...
Another Aspi hate topic. Here we go...

Aspilanti does it on purpose...Sometimes I just wonder whether he is jealous of FF9 itself just because it's more popular than him...
You don't need a reason to help people - ZT....How true!

User Info: TheHumanHumour

TheHumanHumour
5 years ago#8
aspilanti84 posted...
Seriously, that's what this game is. And that's what everyone considers to be the strong point of the game. But what's so good about a game that uses Final Fantasy references when all Final Fantasy games (except for I) have been doing it?

Final Fantasy 9 is good, but not better than the games it takes from. What do any of you have against actually playing the original games? I think you just like the awesomely high (for its time) quality graphics if anything (and the fact that at one point, to promote the game, the Sakaguchi said it was his favorite - ah yes the good ol' Sakaguchi stamp of approval: works well on anything and everything).

Yeah yeah yeah, boohoo, been there done that heard it all before...

Bottom line is no game is actually perfect and you repeating the same things (over and over) won't change anything.
You don't need a reason to help people - ZT....How true!

User Info: Azuredoragon

Azuredoragon
5 years ago#9
Peter_19 posted...

You sinful curr...

Nobuo is 20% cooler.

aspilanti84
5 years ago#10
TheHumanHumour posted...
Aspilanti does it on purpose...

Does what on purpose? I actually wrote this if that's what you mean.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Final Fantasy 9000 References
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A