• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Why Final Fantasy IX wasn't worth a second playthrough...

User Info: aspilanti84

aspilanti84
5 years ago#1
It was essentially an homage to all the other Final Fantasy games. I think FFIX is OK. I like the games before it more, because those games did it better. So why not replay other Final Fantasy games? Weirdly enough, it neither adds anything nor improves on anything more.

FFIX is like a filler clipshow sitcom episode that they lazily threw together to just cash in on nostalgia. That, or it was just an experiment to gauge purchasability for Kingdom Hearts....

Sidenote: Since it is a homage, it literally rips everything good from every other game before it. So whenever people describe what makes FFIX unique, you realize that what they say ("tragedy, death, and slim hope" "characters dealing with their flaws") could just be said for many other FF games. All of these cliche umbrella phrases ("the love story was the best" "so many feels and emotions" "the existentialism is done wonderfully") don't really impress me.

User Info: TheHumanHumour

TheHumanHumour
5 years ago#2
Excuse my language, but you must be tripping.... :/
You don't need a reason to help people - ZT....How true!

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
5 years ago#3
Call the ward, professional help isn't enough.
Lord of gaming!!! (probably) 3DS FC: 3411-1747-3961 Y: Sean; X: Lily; Serebii 4 Life; OGTG hax breeder/KCB
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: Vir27

Vir27
5 years ago#4
Hey, didn't you have another topic that has disappeared? I would have sworn that I played "I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition," and was waiting for someone to pick up the cue. But the topic has disappeared?

Edit: DIOS MIO! The Inquisition picked up its own cue and disappeared the topic for heresy?! I never expected that!

User Info: Seraphor

Seraphor
5 years ago#5
"Since it is a homage, it literally rips everything good from every other game before it."

Precisely. It has all the best elements of the previous games, without any of their crap, and puts them together with a charming art style and a brilliant soundtrack, in a way that feels new and unique.

Why play any of the other Final Fantasies when you can just play IX?
Fan Projects: Final Fantasy VIII-2, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy EPIC

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
5 years ago#6
Seraphor89 posted...
"Since it is a homage, it literally rips everything good from every other game before it."

Precisely. It has all the best elements of the previous games, without any of their crap, and puts them together with a charming art style and a brilliant soundtrack, in a way that feels new and unique.

This.

And don't waste more time with this troll.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

User Info: Cliche1234

Cliche1234
5 years ago#7
Hey, dude. I named my cat FFIX and guess what? My mom approved it!

The Fairy Triad around me gave advice to not bother with people like you anymore. They also told me that your trolling is getting rotten and more sad. Perhaps you need to suck a lollipop filled with pixie dust to be more matured.

User Info: Vir27

Vir27
5 years ago#8
You named the cat "Ef-ef-nine" or "Final Fantasy Nine"... or "F-Fix"?

User Info: Cliche1234

Cliche1234
5 years ago#9
Vir27 posted...
You named the cat "Ef-ef-nine" or "Final Fantasy Nine"... or "F-Fix"?

All of them are compatible. They just rely on my mood swings. My mood swings shall determine which of these three names I would choose to pronounce.

User Info: Duke Darkwood

Duke Darkwood
5 years ago#10
Vir27 posted...
The Inquisition picked up its own cue and disappeared the topic for heresy?! I never expected that!

Did I miss a thread? Because the last of his threads that I saw come up is still there, a few topics below the one before that.

To the topic at hand: Your premise makes no sense, because it is worth replaying. Seraphor89 gives one reason. Another is it's a darned fun game. The only flaw is I wish the ATB gauge were decently fast. I can read novels between my characters' turns, and the enemies are (almost always) equally slow, so there's no sense of impending danger, unless I do something like challenge Ozma or kick a Yan. But aside from that one flaw, great gameplay, very enjoyable even if you already know the story.
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Why Final Fantasy IX wasn't worth a second playthrough...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A