• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. The Necron Theory (spoilers)

User Info: Dachimotsu

Dachimotsu
11 years ago#1
I'd like to divert you all with a theory that I came up with a long time ago, regarding FF9's Final Boss, Necron. Several people, since FF9's release, have criticized Necron with confusion, with lines like "Out-of-nowhere" or "He's symbolic", intent on the idea that he's not an actual character.

But he is.

And he's been a character ever since Disc 2.

And I'm about to provide you with evidence as to how I know this.

Garland, the ruler of Terra, sent several of his minions to Gaia in order to cause wars, so that everyone would die. (very similar to FF4's Zemus's plans) The Four Fiends were charged with the task of protecting the keys to Terra's entrance. Kuja was sent to cause wars, which he did very nicely. And Soulcage was in charge of halting the flow of souls on Gaia.

Soulcage's job was the most important. FF9's world had a "Lifestream" concept, just like FF7, FF the SpiritsWithin, and FF Adventure. By halting the Lifestream, new souls couldn't be born. Births slowly became impossible, for without a soul, a living creature isn't complete. Mist is a by-product of the soul-halting. In other words, Mist is a tangible form of souls, which is why evil, twisted beings are suddenly born from them (they're like poltergeists). This is also how the Black Mages eventually gained wills and souls, because they're made of Mist (which contains souls). It also explains how Mist is capable of operating machinery so well.

Garland's plan was to gather all of Gaia's spirit energy into the Iifa Tree (presumably mistranslated from Life or Lifa Tree). Once all of the Gaians were dead and their souls gathered, Garland would use Gaias spirit energy to revive Terra and its citizens. One can also assume that Kuja, Zidane, and Mikoto were given souls courtesy of the Mist. (which is probably the reason Zidane states that Genomes and Black Mages are so alike at the beginning of Disc 4)

As stated, it was Soulcage's job to make sure this happened. He halted the souls, and thus, Mist was born. It appeared on the Mist Continent because that's where the Iifa Tree's roots led to (twas probably what was intended, as Kuja manufactured the Black Mages there). However, due to circumstances, Kuja ends up annihilating Terra, the very planet he was originally trying to save. What became of all the Spirit energy that was gathered at the Iifa Tree? I'll get to that...

When the party meets Soulcage, he makes it perfectly clear that he's incapable of lying by spilling the beans about Kuja's plans. And before being fought, he says,

"I have seen the end of my thousand-year life, and it is not now. You cannot defeat me."

And then the party (supposedly) kills him, and the Mist vanishes from the world. When Zidane later confronts Garland, Zidane gets cocky about how he killed the monster that created the Mist. However, Garland tells him that all Zidane saw was the "back door" of the tree; an illusion of sorts. When Zidane returns to Gaia, guess what he saw?

Mist. The entire planet was covered in it. But how can Mist be there if the monster that created it was dead?

HAHAHA!! He wasn't!! He was still alive, just as Garland said, and just as Soulcage himself predicted!!

In order for all of that Mist to have been created, A LOT of souls would've had to have been processed by Soulcage. And with Terra gone, guess who gets to mooch off the leftovers? Guess who gets to ABSORB all of those DEAD souls and become a living embodiment of DEATH itself?! Soulcage does! And he adopts a name befitting of his new form: Necron!!! (Necro=Dead)

Further evidence is provided by the fact that the Final Battle takes place in Memoria/Crystal World, which is located directly above Soulcage's home, the Iifa Tree.

Absorbing souls is not as illogical as it sounds. Sephiroth from FF7 planned to do the same thing, and Kuja himself achieved Trance transformation by absorbing the souls stored inside the Invincible (one of which was the soul of Queen Brahne, as Kuja himself states).

Also, if you examine Soulcage and Necron's designs, they do look very similar.

So in short, Soulcage=Necron.

Questions? Comments? Opinions?

User Info: Dark_Knight161

Dark_Knight161
11 years ago#2
I think it says something like that in the plot analysis guide..

but yeah most people think that Necron xis the Iifa tree part tha sorts the souls
Poisonsparrow's ALT

User Info: Legendary_Musas

Legendary_Musas
11 years ago#3
Well done for stating a theory that has been floating around since 2001.
But yes that seems what it is.
Oooh Soft

User Info: Dachimotsu

Dachimotsu
11 years ago#4

Legendary_Musas posted...
Well done for stating a theory that has been floating around since 2001.
But yes that seems what it is.

Hate to tell you this, but I'm the one who originally came up with that theory. You can find my claims all over YouTube, and I wrote my theory into the finalfantasywikia (though it seems someone has since editted it, poorly).

User Info: Chosenoneknux

Chosenoneknux
11 years ago#5
Makes alotta sense, not that Necron bugged me all that much.
FFIX is greater than FFVII
Sakurai is like the Willy Wonka of game developers - mad in the head, in good and bad ways

User Info: Legendary_Musas

Legendary_Musas
11 years ago#6
Then why are you reposting this 8 year old theory when it is always copied and pasted in Necron topics anyway?
Oooh Soft

User Info: paul_matthias

paul_matthias
11 years ago#7
OR it could be just homage to Necrophobe from FFV
Please visit - www.tsmusicbox.com - it has all Timesplitters music tracks. Become a member of the forums today!
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. The Necron Theory (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A