• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Eternal Eyes
  3. Doesn't look at all like Disgaea...

User Info: John_Dane

John_Dane
6 years ago#1
... if you've played other RPGs in the genre, that is. Almost like if you've played enough shooters, you can tell the difference between Call of Duty and Duke Nukem 3D. =)

However, I will say "Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure" (one of the first games made by NIS) does remind me of this quite a bit. Try it out and I think you'll immediately see what I mean. If not...

- Tactical combat engine is similar. Though Rhapsody is faster and encounter-based, while this game is more "level-based" (i.e., each combat is itself a "level" of the game).
- One "hero" followed around by a few "puppets" (Rhapsody also lets you recruit monsters)
- Hero doesn't do much fighting but relies on the puppets to deal with things for the most part, especially later in the game when they get better attacks.
- Puppets (and in Rhapsody, the hero as well) can equip three miscellaneous items to increase stats. I believe in this game you can even equip three of the same item. You can do that in Rhapsody, too.
- They're both on the Playstation. =)

There are probably some other similarities. But basically, if you like Eternal Eyes, give Rhapsody a shot. It's really cheesy and rather easy, but fun nonetheless. It's almost like a classic Disney movie (think Beauty and the Beast) in RPG form.

Aaaaaand yeah. =)

John_Dane
6 years ago#2
Whoa, just realized someone actually wrote a review of this game a long time ago and compared it to Rhapsody. =)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197238-eternal-eyes/reviews/review-73433

User Info: Moxy__o_O

Moxy__o_O
6 years ago#3
Didn't look like Disgaea to me. Not even a little bit. I think the same engine was used for Azure Dreams, which has the same clunky character movement and environment background. Maybe even a little worse. But the game (Azure Dreams) is MUCH better.

User Info: TravelDemon

TravelDemon
6 years ago#4
Yeah, I doubt this game is comparable to Disgaea. Disgaea games probably get a much budgets, for one thing.
Ask me about my Haiku.
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29607197.jpg

John_Dane
6 years ago#5
Yeah, this topic was in response to the one right below it, that said the game bears an "uncanny resemblance" to Disgaea. I just had to do the noble thing and right that wrong, for the sake of our progeny.

User Info: eidolon24

eidolon24
6 years ago#6
It does have its similarities to Disgaea though. I can name 4!

1. Turn-based strategy system. It goes: Player's Turn, Enemy Turn, Player's Turn, etc... It's not speed based like FFT or TO.

2. Japanese style cartoon characters and opening. You know, those big eyed cartoon which are getting extremely popular lately.

3. The equipment is somewhat similar in the sense that you can equip multiple accessories of the same kind to puppets/monsters. Although in Disgaea's case, the humans can also equip lots of accessories.

4. Dialogue delivery has the same style: JRPGs.
"The only hot girls that troll the internet for dudes are crazy, hookers, or dudes." - Barney Stinson

User Info: eidolon24

eidolon24
6 years ago#7
Oh. I just noticed after rereading the original post, quoting the comparison with Rhapsody, Eternal Eyes is 'Level-based'. Disgaea is also level-based if I remember correctly. They're also both chapter based in a sense that beating a new area with sub-levels will proceed the story to the next chapter.
"The only hot girls that troll the internet for dudes are crazy, hookers, or dudes." - Barney Stinson

John_Dane
6 years ago#8
eidolon24 posted...
It does have its similarities to Disgaea though. I can name 4!

1. Turn-based strategy system. It goes: Player's Turn, Enemy Turn, Player's Turn, etc... It's not speed based like FFT or TO.

2. Japanese style cartoon characters and opening. You know, those big eyed cartoon which are getting extremely popular lately.

3. The equipment is somewhat similar in the sense that you can equip multiple accessories of the same kind to puppets/monsters. Although in Disgaea's case, the humans can also equip lots of accessories.

4. Dialogue delivery has the same style: JRPGs.

You pretty much just described damn near every tactical JRPG to date though. That's like saying Picasso is the same as Monet because they're both painters.

You see my good man, *puts on monocle*, you must refine your tastes.

User Info: Moxy__o_O

Moxy__o_O
6 years ago#9
Precisely, although I think Picasso and Monet have more similarities... they are both French, they both were major innovators in the "modern" art movement, they both used the medium of oil on canvas, they both died dirt poor and unrecognized. And so on.

But really people, have I slept walked into a rabbit hole ?... The game Disgaea is so unlike Eternal Eyes that I won't waste your time listing them. Please, if your defense is that both games have dialogue then just give it up. The quote from Mark Twain comes to mind (and I will paraphrase)... "It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people guess what kind of idiot you are than to speak and to let people know."

John_Dane
6 years ago#10
Moxy__o_O posted...
And so on.

No, I think those are about the only similarities. And they aren't too significant since I'm thinking more about their painting styles. From what you're saying, we might as well compare Shigeru Miyamoto to Oda Nobunaga or some crazy ****.

And Picasso was arguably Spanish-French, not just French. Only moved there when he was 23. But what the hell do I know...

Anyway, how the hell did you even find this board? Go back to Reddit, smart person.
  1. Boards
  2. Eternal Eyes
  3. Doesn't look at all like Disgaea...
  • Topic Archived