• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Duke Nukem 64
  3. My condolences for anyone who had to experience this version of the game....

User Info: JRedmond3

JRedmond3
10 years ago#1
In conjunction with the obvious clunkiness of the controls in the transition to a controller, they pretty much stripped away everything that made Duke Nukem 3d great. I normally wouldn't care about a 10+ year old conversion of a game, but I was surprised to see it got generally positive reviews, at least on here. I would definitely urge anyone who is thinking about buying this, or anyone who hasn't played the PC original, to get ahold of that version and play it(not the enhanced version though, the one with 2D sprites). Duke Nukem 64 is like the Kids Bop remix of the original.

User Info: Nikedawg08

Nikedawg08
10 years ago#2
:/ I had it on the 64 (until a friend of mine borrowed it... and his house burnt down) and I loved it...
Supporting Resident Evil Outbreak!
http://www.supportoutbreak.com/

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
10 years ago#3
>In conjunction with the obvious clunkiness of the controls in the transition to a controller, they pretty much stripped away everything that made Duke Nukem 3d great. I normally wouldn't care about a 10+ year old conversion of a game, but I was surprised to see it got generally positive reviews, at least on here. I would definitely urge anyone who is thinking about buying this, or anyone who hasn't played the PC original, to get ahold of that version and play it(not the enhanced version though, the one with 2D sprites). Duke Nukem 64 is like the Kids Bop remix of the original.

Right, so they stripped away "everything that made Duke Nukem 3d great"? So obviously then the weapons, the level design, the enemies, the Duke's personality etc had nothing to do with making the game great, according to your "logic".

In fact, according to what you're saying, the only things that made the game great were the mouse and keyboard controls, the swearing, the strippers, and the fact that the PC version could run at a higher resolution and use polygonal characters via a third party mod.

Okayyyy. Of course, if you cared about gameplay then you'd love this version, It's almost the same as the (unmodded) PC version, with a couple of different weapons, a few alterations to some levels, split screen multiplayer for up to four players and bots, and you use a joypad instead of a mouse and keyboard. I have no trouble using the Turok style controls setup (use the control stick for looking, not moving), and I think that this is a great version of DN3D, and I prefer it to the PC version, although I do wish that this version could use the third part maps and total conversions, as the PC version can.

When you've finished here, don't forget to visit:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

JRedmond3
10 years ago#4
I've played a little more of it and it's not necessarily as bad as I thought, but still I consider it to be a butchering of the original.

Yes, the core game is still intact, but the controls are integral to the gameplay. Enemies on the same level are easy to kill but anything that is on a higher plane is somewhat cumbersome to hit. The PC controls are better, that's not debatable, so you're admitting to preferring a version of the game with inferior controls.

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
10 years ago#5
>I've played a little more of it and it's not necessarily as bad as I thought, but still I consider it to be a butchering of the original.

So you've not played much of the N64 game, presumably? And if it is a "butchering" as you say, then please provide examples. To me, many of the changes are for the better, such as the new weapons, the (slightly, admittedly) enhanced graphics, many of the level changes, and the enhanced explosions.

>Yes, the core game is still intact, but the controls are integral to the gameplay. Enemies on the same level are easy to kill but anything that is on a higher plane is somewhat cumbersome to hit. The PC controls are better, that's not debatable, so you're admitting to preferring a version of the game with inferior controls.

It is debatable that the controls on the N64 are better, as I am debating it now. Please stop stating biased, unproven opinion as fact. I personally don't like using keyboard and mouse for games, I much prefer using a joypad, and the controls for Duke Nukem 64 are fine as long as you use the analogue stick for looking, as aiming with the C buttons is not practical, I find.

If you prefer a keyboard and mouse for controls, as many other people do, then fine, that's up to you, but please don't describe your own preference of something as evidence that that something is invariably superior to the opposition. It's true that a mouse is much faster and more accurate for aiming, but a joypad provides a fair (though not perfect) alternative, and the joypad is a much better and more convenient controller than the keyboard, I find. I have no trouble playing first person shooters with a joypad, nor do many, many other people. For evidence of this, just look at the speed run videos of Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and many other console first person shooters, where the players rush through levels getting one-shot-kill headshots every time, which would be impossible if joypad control was bad.

When you've finished here, don't forget to visit:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

JRedmond3
10 years ago#6
If I'm tired or something I might want to sit back with a controller and play DK64 but that's the only scenario where I wouldn't play the PC version.

If you think the changes and additions made to the game compensate for the inferior controls that's your opinion, but I don't see how it can be debated that the KB/Mouse controls aren't better. Convenience is external to the game itself.

User Info: WhySoLimp

WhySoLimp
10 years ago#7
lolcensored
u mad?

User Info: GoatEclipse

GoatEclipse
10 years ago#8
Man, I GREW UP with this game, I don't even consider it to be Duke Nukem 3D, because it's so different. The 64 rendition has it's own feel, impossible to describe.

Compared to the PC version ( And almost any game compared to a PC counter-part ), the controls are a little clunky, but they make up for that with extra weapons and levels.
When life hands me lemons, I make beef stew!

User Info: Metallix1000

Metallix1000
10 years ago#9
''My condolences for anyone who had to experience this version of the game''

Your condolences are not needed. I grew up with this version and love it very much. I remember picking up a used copy several years ago at funcoland (still have it) and still play through it many times.

''In conjunction with the obvious clunkiness of the controls in the transition to a controller, they pretty much stripped away everything that made Duke Nukem 3d great. I normally wouldn't care about a 10+ year old conversion of a game, but I was surprised to see it got generally positive reviews, at least on here. I would definitely urge anyone who is thinking about buying this, or anyone who hasn't played the PC original, to get ahold of that version and play it(not the enhanced version though, the one with 2D sprites). Duke Nukem 64 is like the Kids Bop remix of the original.''

Clunky controls? I have no idea where you get that. I have played both versions and the N64 is nowhere near clunky. Then again I play duke 3d with a controller as well so maybe thats why I can't see eye to eye with your claim. They didn't 'strip everything' why would you think that? All they left out was a few big swear words and stripping npcs. Just a few minor things like that. Labeling it as a kids bop remix is exaggerating.

''I've played a little more of it and it's not necessarily as bad as I thought, but still I consider it to be a butchering of the original.

Yes, the core game is still intact, but the controls are integral to the gameplay. Enemies on the same level are easy to kill but anything that is on a higher plane is somewhat cumbersome to hit. The PC controls are better, that's not debatable, so you're admitting to preferring a version of the game with inferior controls.''

Again with the controls I see. Also you cant just say that its not as bad as you thought and then proceed to state that its a 'butchering of the original' , make up your mind. I've never had a problem attacking enemies. It could be that I use the control stick to move set up but who knows. In short the controls are not inferior for me and probably a lot of other people as well. The reason being we use a controller when playing both versions.

''If you think the changes and additions made to the game compensate for the inferior controls that's your opinion, but I don't see how it can be debated that the KB/Mouse controls aren't better. Convenience is external to the game itself.''

Again I don't see the controls as being inferior. See, my opinion is that a controller is always better over a mouse and keyboard. It saves from future carpal tunnel :p The less use of KB/Mouse the better imo. And overall it is just more comfortable to use.

''Isn't Munchables those little packs you buy at the store for your school-age kids?'' -VeiledGenesis

User Info: GoatEclipse

GoatEclipse
10 years ago#10
The fact that you said that this is a "Kids Bop Remix" of the original is blasphemous.

Comparing these two is like comparing a digital watch and a normal watch, they are different, but they are both the perfect way to tell time. In this case, the PC version is like the digital watch, it is perfectly able to tell time, but it has a lot of pointless gadgets and unnecessary upgrades that don't help anything in the "fun" factor.

Except the devastator. It ruined the fun with cheapness, but it was one helluva gun.
When life hands me lemons, I make beef stew!
  1. Boards
  2. Duke Nukem 64
  3. My condolences for anyone who had to experience this version of the game....
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A