• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior VII
  3. Maribel Question

User Info: Booyakana

Booyakana
1 month ago#1
I recently revisited this game, and ran across an oddity.

Directly after saving Rexwood, the first island, Maribel forces you to return to Fishbel, whereupon she goes home to sleep.

Normally, you go to Estard next to progress the narrative, but you have the option to go to Maribel's room and wake her.

However, it requires you to go through at least 5 'Are you sure you want to wake her up' choices; afterwards, she runs off to take care of something.

Was there some relevance to this? It felt like every other time I stumbled upon a secret boss, and the game tried to warn me away; I half expected her to turn into a dragon and murder me.

I couldn't find any information about this in past threads, unsurprisingly; easy to miss.

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#2
Oh wow! I never knew you could go back for her lol! Usually she gets annoyed that you left her behind when heading for Estard (or something like that, maybe when trying to sail for Rexwood)!

I don't think it's at all significant though, just a little (and easily missable) detail for those who decide to go to her first rather than go after Kiefer. Pretty cool of the developers to consider that possibility.

Booyakana
1 month ago#3
It's the little details that make the game, aye.

I plan to scope the island for her tonight; would be interesting if this led to an obscure sidequest.
(edited 1 month ago)

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#4
Certainly would be. The beginning, though limited in character customization, is one of my favorite parts of the game in terms of story and difficulty balance (it can be a little easy to become OP later on, as I've done on some playthroughs where I grinded classes much more than necessary at specific points in the game).

Let us all know if there's anything like that! Otherwise I assume it's only a slight difference.

Booyakana
4 weeks ago#5
Thought I'd replied back already; whoops.

It changed a couple other NPC's dialogue (Maribel's mother, their maid), but I was unable to find where Maribel ran off to, or what was important enough for her to actually thank the hero for waking her up (Heaven forbid, right?).

She also seemed less antagonistic when you meet her and Keifer at the cave in Fishbel, where your boat is hidden.

I still think it's strange that it made you confirm 4 times that you wanted to wake her up, but that might just be a joke that got partly lost in translation.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

SiegvonWal
4 weeks ago#6
I know in Chrono Cross there's a barrel you can "talk to" and the reply is, at first: "...It's just a barrel" and then you get the reply several times until it finally says "Whaddya want already?! I'm just a barrel!" (or something like that lol) and then you get a prize.

if there's a joke then it's as simple as rewarding a player for repeatedly answering the "wrong" choice or doing something seemingly pointless lol.

It makes sense she's friendlier later at the cave since, to my memory, her normal complaint was that you're about to leave without her lol so waking her up probably implies an intent to bring her along. Or something like that. Could have been packing her things, theoretically, since it's not like we normally have to worry about food or tents because that's kinda abstracted or implied but never stated. So maybe Maribel took care of that...

Anyway, thanks for the update! I had done a big playthrough half a year ago and still have a positive sensation from it, and a little desire to do it all again lol especially from the nostalgia-heavy beginning.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior VII
  3. Maribel Question
  • Post New Message