• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior VII
  3. Curious enough to play this after the 3DS version.

User Info: Miken Ayers

Miken Ayers
2 years ago#1
How much of a rude awakening can I expect?

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
2 years ago#2
Miken Ayers posted...
How much of a rude awakening can I expect?

Quite a few things actually, but to name off some of the more noticeable...

1) The start of the game is very different. The characters will tell you where to go next, but unlike the 3DS version, this is often cryptic. Like in the 3DS, Kiefer specifically tells you to visit Dermott the Hermit. In the PSX, Kiefer mentions he read a book but doesn't know who to take it to, and in part of his conversation casually mentions a crazy old man.

There is a LOT more back and forth in the PSX, like for each item you test, you personally have to go back and forth from each town and back to the ruins. The 3DS cuts out three trips, and simplifies the script surrounding the events.

Then there's the puzzle after opening the temple ruins. In the 3DS, there is no puzzle, just a room with the pixie/flying goblin/caretaker. However, in the PSX, you'll find NO caretaker, but instead a storyboard of slabs indicating cryptic hints as to the nature of the temple, and a huge maze with several simple, but well thought through puzzles.

2) There is no established system to keep track of Fragments/Shards. You'll have to pay attention yourself. For this reason some people get lost if they miss one or two, but it's not too difficult to figure out given the FAQs here.

3) There is no specialized system to keep track of where you're at in the story. You'll have to rely on three things. The first being what island you last visited in the past, and what's on your zoom list in the present. The second being party chat, but like the 3DS, certain parts will be stuck on the same unhelpful party chat related to events that either cannot be completed yet, or have already transpired. The third being the various fortune tellers, Palmela / Pamela being the best to choose. Even then like in the 3DS, even Palmela / Pamela will be stuck with an unhelpful tip when there's something you have to do instead that isn't being mentioned (like visiting Estard).

4) Tames and Heart drops CANNOT and will not be possible until much later, and then they're based on their normal levels. Since there are no tablets, farming a few hearts can be very painful and tedious. The monster park cannot be done at all until it finally opens.

5) Skill and Spell lists for a lot of human classes are drastically different. Also, ALL of them stick with you, so you're never required to switch classes to keep them.

Pirate's and Mariner's are also FAR superior when it comes to Tsunami and Maelstrom reduction. Tsunami is also present in this game, whereas I believe it was changed to Jolly Rager here.

6) Stats are fixed, so feel free to abuse seeds without fear of altered stat growth, if you're into that sort of thing.

7) Human classes are less...dominant in this version, having absolutely NO resistances at all (save for Mariner and Pirate). Passives/Mastery bonuses are the same regardless, but also due to certain skill changes and differences, some classes are a bit less potent.

8) Skills will behave somewhat differently. For instance, Klepto Clobber / ThiefHit will factor in weapon special effects (it's also the best method for farming seeds...sadly, and mostly due to limitations in farming spots, so abusing ThiefHit + Poison Needle is essential for farming certain items...). Blade of Ultimate Power / UltraHit will do both more and less damage. More, in that its base damage is 100 points higher, but less because Defense directly impacts it, so in this version, it is utterly useless against Metals (Metal Slimes / Metaly and Metal Slime S / Metaly S you CAN use it on, but standard physical attacks, by the time you get the skill, are often far superior since you can use multi-hit weapons and multi-hit physical skills).
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (97%), DQ4 DS (10%), DQ4 solo DS (60%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (85%), DQ7 3DS (10%), FF4 DS (47%)

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
2 years ago#3
9) Certain pieces of equipment, if you followed my equipment guide at all, are superior in this version. There were a considerable number of nerfs in the 3DS version to reductions. Like King's Armour is actually useful in this version.

10) The first bonus Boss is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH harder in this version. This is due to a change in the AI pattern that forced a 1~2 round count in the 3DS, but can go to infinite in this version...though usually it stops at 4. However I have gone through a few 6~7 rounds, it's rare to see over 3 rounds. However, this can mean even a level 99, maxed out party can be annihilated in a single round due to bad luck (maybe 1 in 200 battles, maybe 1 in 500).

11) Township is different. There are a TON of forms (I think 9 in total, 8 base forms, 1 final form), and with them several mini-medal changes. Be apprised of this and pay attention, as the early forms, once gone, mean you cannot get their items. There are also multiple final forms, and these can be switched out.

You update the town through finding immigrants in different towns in specific spawning locations. These locations can be reused over and over again. The different types of immigrants ultimately determine the final form type. You can eventually kick people out to a certain amount, and recruit more to change immigrant town forms. The only one that is required is the normal, which is the easiest to get, because it's the standard form.

Immigrants of certain types become harder to spawn, making certain final forms harder to create without spending a bit of extra time (30 minutes to 10 hours, usually 2 hours, depending on luck) going back and forth on staircases, where you can see the immigrant spot, hoping to get a spawn of that particular type you require.

The two most useful final forms after normal, are the bazaar and the grand slum.
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (97%), DQ4 DS (10%), DQ4 solo DS (60%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (85%), DQ7 3DS (10%), FF4 DS (47%)

User Info: TheOpposite

TheOpposite
2 years ago#4
The PS1 version has better music. I have not played the 3DS version, but I have heard the music and it's either good but not better, or it's worse. The mysterious music played in a lot of caves and in the ruins is far worse on the 3DS. The tempo is too fast.

I actually like the puzzles in the ruins. It's more involved, and it's kind of relaxing since there are no battles. The puzzles are easy anyway.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior VII
  3. Curious enough to play this after the 3DS version.
  • Topic Archived