• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Cross
  3. Huge plot hole found.. :/ Spoilers for Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger

User Info: felixrush

felixrush
9 years ago#1
Spoilers on the topic title are meant for both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross but just in case:

Spoilers for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross

Discovered this with the help of Animas and Alcalavicci, even mensmaschine seemed to acknowledge it... >_>;

If you don't want your love for the story of either or both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross ruined, I advise you turn back now..

The Astral Amulet.

Marle's pendant, can be used to transport people throughout time and to other locations, gets powered-up by the mammon machine and, in CT, looks EXACTLY like the pendant Schala wears, functions the exact same as well.

Marle's family line is suppose to have passed down this pendant from generation to generation.

Schala's amulet, which looks exactly like Marle's, is given and worn by Kid in 1004 AD in the ending and further on throughout Chrono Cross.

Now, assume the Astral Amulet is the pendant Magus wears.

Still a plot hole. Because, first off, Kid is wearing it in 1004 AD. Magus made himself forget his memories in one of the ending.

Assuming Magus remembers and visited Lucca and gave her the pendant, it still makes no sense because Kid is wearing the Astral Amulet in 1004 AD when Lucca found her.

Plus, had Magus's pendant from Schala been the Astral amulet, he would have IMMEDIATELY used it to get back to her in the falling palace and got her to safety, why didn't he? Because he couldn't.

Plus, as stated before, Marle and Schala's pendants around their necks look and function the exact same in Chrono Trigger therefore it can be HUGELY inferred that they're the same pendant. And really, there is far more evidence proving Marle's pendant is the same as the one Schala is wearing.

Don't forget:

Schala uses the pendant on the mammon machine AFTER having given Janus a keepsake pendant.

Therefore, Marle's pendant is one and the same as Schala's pendant which they both wear around their necks.

And, as stated before, Magus having it still creates a plot hole.

What is the plot hole?

Kid has it in 1004 AD directly from Schala, who was fused with Lavos in 12000 BC.

Marle's family line never gets it -> Marle never is able to go back in time via Lucca's machine because she never has the pendant -> Chrono Trigger never happens -> Lavos is never beaten by the Chrono Trigger team -> Schala never fuses with Lavos -> Chrono Cross never happens.

Dalton also would never have overthrown Guardia and Lavos was never stopped.

Therefore, yeah, huge plot hole thanks to the Chrono Trigger extra endings made by Masato Kato.
Great Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnjL1BMo77w&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

User Info: Dapifer

Dapifer
9 years ago#2
Prove it
"Crane or Skyhook? I say cranes for the Win!!"

User Info: The_Skiner

The_Skiner
9 years ago#3
Yep she'd have to have had at least two, maybe three, amulets for things to work out the way they did. Which brings up the real question: where was she keeping them if she didn't have any pockets?
"I kill dead people." -- Zombie hunting guy

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
9 years ago#4
They all came from a different timeline. Infinte Worlds, Infinite Possibilities.

User Info: Dapifer

Dapifer
9 years ago#5
Altra is right
"Crane or Skyhook? I say cranes for the Win!!"

User Info: The_Skiner

The_Skiner
9 years ago#6
Oh, now I see. They were all magically transferred inexplicably from alternate time lines that had nothing to do with the canonical one. That makes perfect sense and is great story telling.
"I kill dead people." -- Zombie hunting guy

User Info: ninja_lootz

ninja_lootz
9 years ago#7
This could honestly be explained better. A youtube video of the extra ending might also help.

Anyway, Kid got hers after Schala fused with lavos. Maybe it's a replica or something. Or it could have to do with how time travel works. Crono and Co.'s interference could have altered where the pendant ended up.
Fans are clingy, complaining dip****s who will never be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill voices the happier you'll be.

User Info: felixrush

felixrush
9 years ago#8
No, Schala had no pendant with her when you went to fight her in CC.

As for videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HPHPiPCkc

^Skip to 3:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVeXLEvXydQ

Skip to 9:18.

You can thank Masato Kato for these endings.
Great Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnjL1BMo77w&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

User Info: ragnarokius

ragnarokius
9 years ago#9
Yeah, that's a pretty bad plot hole. I wouldn't say my opinion of the game has changed any, though. CT and CC aren't exactly the strongest in the story department anyway, imho.
---
---

User Info: menschmaschine5

menschmaschine5
9 years ago#10
Magus was given a "good luck charm" by Schala. She never said it was her amulet, but it may have been a piece of it. And no, my memory's not faulty, I played through this part of Chrono Trigger a couple days ago (then my DS ran out of batteries and I can't find my charger :-().

As for how the whole pendant thing worked, I really don't have any answers for that. It's not a game-breaking thing, and probably won't affect my opinion of the game much.
  1. Boards
  2. Chrono Cross
  3. Huge plot hole found.. :/ Spoilers for Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger
  • Topic Archived