• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire IV
  3. Missable And / Or Hard To Find Items, Skills, Masters etc. Things

User Info: Refrigeeta2000

Refrigeeta2000
4 years ago#1
Hi everyone!

It seems that there isn't any kind of clear topic for these kind of things and all the info about such matters are all over the Board. So I think that a topic like this would be beneficial to many, yeah?

So, because I would love to do a complete save file for this game for the first time in my life it would be really helpful to get as much info as possible about these matters. At least I would like to get 1 copies of each item, and at least 1 copies to the inventory of each item also even if I'm equipping some hard to get items. Of course if there's only 1 copy of some certain item that might not be possible.
For me this topic doesn't have to be spoiler free.

Items:
What missable items there are and how to get them? There's couple of quotes from couple of users who talk about these things:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/196818-breath-of-fire-iv/62177165
RyuFireheart comments:

Only 3 Items are missable:

*Flawed Gem - Key Item
*Jar - Key Item
*AsbestosArmr(Chek Shop) - The Merchant will not be there after Ryu meets the endless at the Ruins next to Chek.

+
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/196818-breath-of-fire-iv/54387394
Al_Sleeper comments:

The treasure ball from Ludia: If you miss it, you'll be able to complete the appropriate quest only after beating the game.

Power Food (in the back room of the tavern in Sarai): It is not particularly important, but you won't be able to grab it later if you miss it.

Rice Ball: Return to the village before heading for Mt. Yogy, and talk to Mami. Not particularly important, just a special healing item.

I have further question about the items. I don't remember at all that does this game's Fairy Village have the same kind of Copy Job that BoF 3 had?
If this game has something like that, then can I copy things like those Lead Ball - PlatinumBall items (I don't remember that are they Key Items or something similar) and if yes then should I know some certain events that could conflict those kind of plans? Like that treasure ball in Ludia, whichever it might've been.

I did similar info request topic in BoF 3's Board about The Wallet, Ship Parts and other missable things which was pretty succesful topic and was really helpful for my (still little bit on-going) BoF 3 save, which is starting to be really great :)

Also are there any Skills, Masters, Dragon forms, Fishing Spots or other things that can be missed for good? Like in that, pretty annoying, area Golden Plains, is there something special going on? My eyesight is poor and my old TV has some problems with colors which makes it impossible to adjust them to brighter or darker, so I'm expecting that this Plain area is going to be pretty hard, I remember it being a hard place to navigate even when my TV was okay. So I hope that I don't have to go to that area often.

+ also I haven't been able to find any clear info about these Game or Gaming Points, what are they and what do they do? It seems that they have something to do with upgrading your Dragons or something. Most likely I have missed these points totally on my other saves since I cannot remember anything about these things.

Many users are talking about that you can get them from some minigames and also from completing the main game several times or something like that.
How many of these points are needed to get everything that there is to get with those points?

It seems that the user second_advent has compiled a great list of Steal / Drop Items and their drop rates etc.:
http://www.filefront.com/16099811/bof4%20drops.txt

Are there any items that should be gotten ASAP?

Can you take Fou-Lu's items like the Dragon Tear? Like can you change his equipments and if yes would that be a good idea?

So as you can see, there are many things that need some clarifying :)

User Info: LancetJades

LancetJades
4 years ago#2
I can only answer a couple of your questions, unfortunately.

For unique stuff, the Jar and Flawed Gem are definitely something to watch. Jar is missable outright, while Flawed Gem isn't missable (to my knowledge), but can be lost (by using it in the trade; maybe the same one involving the Jar?). But that trade offers a third option that is nothing unique.

Game points are sort of your "score," and upgrade your dragons at key intervals (like 5000, 10000, 20000, etc). Each interval only allows one dragon upgrade, and I think the last one is 50000 or 60000 game points. They can be gotten infinitely from minigames (though after playing it the first time, they only give 10% of their original points), and the Sandspeeder courses (can probably get 2400 to 3000 on all possible courses, for a big bonus). Nothing missable here, although every time you attack an NPC (like in towns) it costs you 1 game point.

You can't acquire any items Fou-Lu gets, at least not directly from him as a character. All of his stuff IS obtainable, though not without effort (like stolen from the final bosses, traded for fish, rare drop from Orochi). I think you visit every Fou-Lu area eventually as Ryu, so you could (and should) leave all chests and other items alone so Ryu can get them. Again, nothing unique, but I think there's rare stuff like an Ambrosia or two. So while you can remove Fou-Lu's equipment, his inventory is his own and never crosses paths with Ryu.

No copy job, unfortunately. I wouldn't worry too much about the Ball trade that's missable; just make sure you do it. All other trades are always available. I don't know if the game will keep track of whether you missed that trade, or if at the end of the game, it's impossible to know if you had to use the post-game trade or not.

Something to consider: try getting the Steal skill from Stoll ASAP, which if I remember, requires getting a drop from enemies in a dream or something early on (maybe it was a Cuirass?).
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
4 years ago#3
Something to consider: try getting the Steal skill from Stoll ASAP, which if I remember, requires getting a drop from enemies in a dream or something early on (maybe it was a Cuirass?).

I think you have to get every single item possible in order to get steal. And yes, that includes at least one item from the dream. I think there's also a weapon that you can't get until way later.

Getting steal that early is nice, but nowhere near necessary. You'll miss out on a few nice things without it, but you can get all that stuff later.

Refrigeeta2000
4 years ago#4
^ thanks for the infos & tips guys!

Is that Jar thing hard to find? I'm goin to use some of these Guides in here but since they still might be missing info this kind of things would be good to know before-hand.

Hmm so when it comes to getting as much points as easily as possible I should try to get as good results in all the minigames when playing them the first time, correct? Of course that will mean a lot of trial and error and resetting but could still save enormously lot of time.

How many upgrades each dragon needs, like 2-3 maybe? And so any kind of actions (other than speaking, like anything that "hurts" them) towards all NPC characters is no good? Okay.

The bright side of no copy job is that now I don't have the crazy urge to get at least two of each items like I did in BoF 3 right now :) I copied Swallow Eyes so much that my main party was at 160 Agility so I could be twice as fast as any enemy in the game, took a lot of time to do. And to get all the other possible (couple of items can't be copied) items to look like 2x in your inventory takes a LOT of time.

Yeah I have to try to get Steal ASAP, I'm a kleptomaniac at heart so... :) So he requires 80 items to teach that skill, okay.

Also do you have any suggestions that what master I should use with each character to get as good stats as possible, especially if I try not to level up too much at the beginning before I start getting more masters? Since if Ruy isn't a healer this time I'm suspecting that he won't need as much Int this time around (than in BoF 3) but since his dragon skills probably still spends lot of AP I'm guessing that would be one good point to get, and of course more HP, AGI, STR and so on can't hurt. And IF, IF, Agility has a lot to do with how easily the Steal is successful then I'm thinking getting Nina as fast possible. If I remember correctly my main party has been Ruy, Nina & Scias which seemed to be a good team.

So all kinds of opiniois about those kind of things are also appreciated.

Of course any kind of fishing tips are highly appreciated since I remember that the fishing in this game is MUCH harder than in BoF 3, or in real life pretty much. I finally did get 9999 points in BoF 3 but it took unnecessarily lot of time, mainly because the size of the fishes seem to be totally random. Some fishes I had to catch over 250 times. Which was annoying. However my guess is that encountering a full sized one more easily is also dependable of the fishing spots since different places seem to have different average sized fishes, in BoF 3 again, no idea about 4. Like for an example that only spot where Barandy's can be found, the average size of Manillo's seem to be around 140cm when everywhere else where I fished it seemed to be around 100-120cm. So it MIGHT be the best place to catch a full sized one.

In BoF 4 I remember that the one rare fish in that city filled with purple Mist water (or something similar) was so hard to even find that I have only gotten one of those, so I'm expecting lot of trouble this time around too.

Are there any clear guides that shows which fish eats what lure? And how many of each fishes are on each fishing spots? Things like that help out very much.

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
4 years ago#5
I don't even know where to start, you asked for an encyclopedia's worth of information.

I guess I can start with fishing. First, the in-game menu lists what lures fish bite. Each fishing spot also lists what fish are present, but not till you've actually caught one. The fishing guide here has all of that information as well.

I actually find fishing in BoF 4 easier and faster than 3. The biggest reason being that you can't run out of fish like in 3. There's no limit to how many of any specific fish you can catch.

The system works like a refined Random Battle system. Techs allow you to get bites easier. The lure you use affects what you catch, as well as the depth and location you cast. Then you have stuff like the shadow and how much stamina the fish has that help refine your search. There's also a fish radar that shows the depth and location of fish.

It's setup so it's a lot faster and more streamlined. It just takes a bit of experimenting to find the best results. It's very much similar to BoF3, you just don't see the fish, it's more of a random encounter thing, but with encounter rates being higher or lower depending on numerous factors.

The fish you were referring to in Chamba are Acheron, and they actually aren't that hard to catch if you know what to do. They're rarer than a lot of stuff, but you can still catch them pretty easily.
Only fools are positive. Only wise men are negative.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

Refrigeeta2000
4 years ago#6
Sorry for being an information hog. These kind of things just would be good to get eventually into some Faqs to simplify lots of possible question that players may have so everyone would have to answer the same stuff over and over again. Like "How to this and that and What to do in here and there" kind of Faq.

Ah good to know that the fishing spots won't run out of fishes like in BoF 3. Thanks for the info! And good to know that things like the depth play a much bigger part this time around.

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
4 years ago#7
It's all good, it's just a bit overwhelming trying to answer so many questions at once.

A lot if this is in the FAQs, just not all-in-one.

There's actually one other point that I don't think was mentioned yet, and that is Ershin's Armor upgrades. At some point you'll unlock the Blacksmith on Mt. Glom, and you'll be able to create items out if all those spare parts you keep finding, like Burnt Plug and such. I believe it's in Ch.3. You can't do it, I think, the first time you visit. I could be wrong, it's been awhile.

Another thing is the Faerie Colony. DXie's guide covers most of it. The only thing that isn't fully explained is the Crop Raising Tree. There's a topic that helps explain it better. It produces temporary buff items, kind of like inoculations in BoF 3, only they're consumable items, and there are many more effects.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/196818-breath-of-fire-iv/53323618
Only fools are positive. Only wise men are negative.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

User Info: LancetJades

LancetJades
4 years ago#8
To clarify about dragon upgrades, each form can be upgraded once, excluding Kaiser and Astral. That means there are 4 upgrades total, I believe: fire/water, earth, wind, and status (flawed). Fire/water is listed as such because upgrading either one upgrades the other one as well, so you can't "waste" an upgrade as Fou-Lu. You usually only will get 1 upgrade through normal progression, unless you grind game points and exploit sandspeeder courses.

Upgrades apply in a simple way: the next dragon you transform into after reaching a game point threshold is upgraded, provided it can be upgraded (so no aura/kaiser, or already-upgraded forms).
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
4 years ago#9
A lot if this is in the FAQs, just not all-in-one.

When I was trying to get "everything" I had to reference several guides. Almost every question you would have can be found in one of the guides, but there isn't a single comprehensive guide like there are for some games.

Refrigeeta2000
4 years ago#10
Thank you very much everyone for the new infos! Now I know much clearer about those dragon upgrades. So if that's correct that for each upgrade you need around 50000 Game Points so in total it would be like 200000 points.

I have a further question about that Crop Raising Tree, or more like the items that can be only found via that system, so are these the ones that can be only gotten that way?:

- Dark Draught

- Elixir

- Wassail

- Fire Seed

- Holy Seed

- Reflex Seed

- Target Seed

- Sage Seed

- Sight Seed

- Speed Seed

- Spirit Seed

- Wind Seed

Also DXie's guide has more seed items listed and "+" items like Elixer +, can these ones be gotten somewhere else or are all of these "Temporarily useful" items gotten from this Tree Crop thing?

Dalez's guide seem to have a great list (hopefully completed list?) of the items that can be forged in the blacksmith's place, just search for Fire Rig and you will find the list fast.

Yeah probably at least most of the stuff I'm asking can be found from different places but searching for them takes a lot of time and still the answer may not be found. So this kind of Topic can be used as Guide/Faq about such things I think. There always should be an easy way to find out these kind of infos. I do have the official guide but those things never really aren't 100%, there are always something missing or the information is from and so on, so Internet is the way to go.
  1. Boards
  2. Breath of Fire IV
  3. Missable And / Or Hard To Find Items, Skills, Masters etc. Things
  • Topic Archived