• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Banjo-Tooie
  3. Trying to master this game on keyboard

User Info: Magmasta

Magmasta
3 years ago#1
C buttons are a must in this game. The camera is 10x worse than DK64 because there is no freeroam camera:P

I also tend to avoid every shooter challenge the game tackles on me, especially the ufo in witchyworld *shudders

Has anyone attempted the "challenge" ?
Bowser is a Tarasque and Magmar is a legend

Magmasta
3 years ago#2
Well, keyboard controls is no easy feat. I died hundreds of times because of awkward camera angles.

I did manage to get 70 jiggies though in around 30 hours lol The first person shooting games are impossible and I gave up on weldar because the game wouldn't let me stick with the zoomed out camera angle for some reason..

Stick to the controller folks

The hardest part is probably getting the inferno jiggy on the top of the slide, good luck with that one:P

It really does show you how easy 3D platforming can be with even the most terrible set of controls. Although the controls are terrible, I think the hardest part of the game is just finding where you have to go. After playing this game over again and forgetting where practically everything was I saw myself going to the exact rooms over and over again, especially in glitter gulch mine. I really hate how everything looks almost exactly the same and it is a very boring level in my opinion.

Oddly I enjoyed cloud cuckooland and managed to get the most jiggies on that world tied with mayhem temple. I used to really hate that stage in the game when I was younger. I think it has something to do with memory mainly because all the rooms in the central cave are color coded to your benefit which is nice..

Also, I used to really hate grunty industries but now I sort of like the tediousness of the level. The hardest part is probably the outside business where you need to open the windows from outside to find another way in from the floor you have usually previously already visited. However, for me it was simple because I knew about clear windows and how they were possible to break from playing the first Banjo. Someone who had not have previously played the banjo games could be stuck in this level for practically hours wandering around aimlessly. I will say that the later floors were not all that interesting though. For example, the floor with the maze of boxes that you have to traverse with Banjo was a bore in my opinion.

I find hailfire peaks a little lackluster. It has the easiest bosses in the game and most of the areas are so easy to reach with the fly pad. Also, it had a lot of dumb jiggies, such as the fish that was in probably the most random place ever and I only found it by accident. I think the only reason people like it is because of all the memorable characters it introduced, along with the funny alien character you met from jolly rogers lagoon. The level in itself though isn't that grand in my opinion.

Overall I enjoyed the game a lot, but it would have been more enjoyable if I had played it on a controller I guess. I never tried to play a game with awkward controls on a keyboard before and it felt really rewarding when I had kind of completed it thoughXD

Magmasta
3 years ago#3
I'm curious how people found the cheats that cheato doesn't supply you with, like super banjo for example.

Were they in the nintendo power magazine or just random guessing?

Anyways, I managed to save the pig on keyboard by leaving the cursor in the center where the cage is and shooting grenade eggs. The explosion takes them out before they even approach the cage, however you do need to target the piranha occasionally so it can still be a bit tricky, but this strategy works very well.

I said I would stop playing but I am now at 87 jiggys. The clinker mission and the dynamite mission were my bane back in the day and they still are.

I made it up the inferno slide by doing the "flap jump" (or whatever it is called) and using the glide to soar over the fire buddies. This tactic came in very useful for this particular mission, some would probably call it cheating :P

I have now officially quit the game and left my mark on this dead board. I doubt anyone will reply to this, but sometimes posting is good for the brain after a very long game session heh

User Info: Erika_Redmark

Erika_Redmark
3 years ago#4
I actually did try keyboard controls myself as well. To me the hardest part was getting the sensitivity changed for the keys and the shift key so that I could actually approach things quietly without waking them out.

Magmasta posted...
I'm curious how people found the cheats that cheato doesn't supply you with, like super banjo for example.

Most likely the developers 'leaked' them.

For other codes, an examination of the game's ROM most likely yielded the rest. Seeing what data is accessed in the Sand Castle, and finding what string data is referenced from there and compared to, in order to find a listing of all the combinations of letters that actually 'do' something, and then from there hitting them in in the game and seeing what happens.

I don't actually know. I think there is a site devoted to rare (Rare Witch Project) that probably has far better explanations.

Oh, and as for me, I Xbox controlled it last time I played. Any controller is better than the N64 one*

*most controllers
"Dust of the Galaxies take my hand, lead me to my beloved's land..." - Nightwish "Astral Romance"
(message deleted)

User Info: Link_Love_Zelda

Link_Love_Zelda
3 years ago#6
RIP keyboard on Canary Mary races.
"Give me your name and I will give you mine" Lloyd ToS
3DS FC: 4682-8728-3066 Aaron
  1. Boards
  2. Banjo-Tooie
  3. Trying to master this game on keyboard
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A