• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Alien Resurrection
  3. It's lonely on the Nostromo

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
10 months ago#11
Nakrophile posted...
It's okay, and kind oof makes me want to go and buy FFX remastered... or something smilar that doesn't have the ridiculous tasks for the ultimate weapons I refuse to to again.

Well, I don't think the ultimate weapons are required. I suppose you could play FFX and just not do the ultimate weapon quests? >_>

I must have a masochism streak in me, as that's the part I always look forward to, even if some of the challenges make me hate life (I'm looking at you, lightning-dodging mini-game).

Anyway, it turns out it was user-error here. All key objects spawned, I was just not looking in the right place. I don't know if Darksiders is that kind of RPG. The first one isn't really an RPG at all; more like a Zelda-clone with Devil May Cry-esque combat (well, a really light/simplified version of it). The second feels a lot more like Diablo, running around, picking up loot from monsters, buying better weapons/armor, etc. I don't think it's really comparable to FFX at all. Grinding would just be tedious, and with a level cap of 22 (in the first run; up to 30 in NG+), you probably won't have to do any grinding at all. Not that I would say the game is particularly hard. It would be nice to find a FFX-alike to sink time into. For all of its faults, FFX manages to hold a special corner of my heart. = /
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

User Info: Nakrophile

Nakrophile
10 months ago#12
I suspect I would force myself to do them again anyway. Maybe some day...

I've never really experimented with big rpgs other than FF (except for Vagrant Story), so I imagiine this will become another one of those 'at some point' things. No worries as I'm not in any rush and have plenty to keep busy with. I bought Rage a while ago and have started playing that, it's made by iD so has to be great right? Well it's okay, but nothing spectacular. It's basically a heavily inspired by Mad Max version of Doom 3, but with slightly not great vehicle combat. I am quite enjoying it though besides a couple of annoying parts.

I don't know why I don't just start Dark Souls but I may get to it once done with Dead Space 3, which I'll get back to once I'm done withh whatever else I end up doing...

Happy christmas, by the way.

Raycon
10 months ago#13
Nakrophile posted...
I suspect I would force myself to do them again anyway. Maybe some day...

Yeah, I probably would, too, no matter how much suffering I know it will bring me. >_<

Nakrophile posted...
I bought Rage a while ago and have started playing that, it's made by iD so has to be great right? Well it's okay, but nothing spectacular.

This is basically what I heard about it. It wasn't bad, but not much to write home about. It always struck me as a Borderlands rip-off that didn't bother to include the RPG elements. You know, the one thing that made Borderlands playable. >__________>

But glad to hear it's not bad so far. I was worried that it would get extremely repetitive after awhile. I definitely see the Mad Max influences, though.

Nakrophile posted...

I don't know why I don't just start Dark Souls but I may get to it once done with Dead Space 3, which I'll get back to once I'm done withh whatever else I end up doing...

I can't remember if you've played it before, but I think you might like it if you enjoy a modest challenge. Or just over-leveling to high-hell and demolishing everything. ^_^

It's a weird mix of WRPG elements (the open-world/blank main character template) with the highly stylized JRPG influences bleeding in through the form of unique weapons, bizarre enemy designs, and oodles of lore hidden in the item descriptions.

Merry Christmas to you as well! And to Dark_Avarice, whenever he pops in. And I suppose to banana as well if he ever showed up. = (
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

Raycon
10 months ago#14
Gonna get a quick stab of epinephrine up in here!

Nakrophile
10 months ago#15
Oops.

I've never playeed Borderlands, but Rage was a mixed bag. The shooting is actually quite good and fun with decent variety in the weapons. Sadly there is no much driving and vehicle combat, and the racing side games are basically terrible. Also it has one of those whydidtheybother plots and characters, and one of the female characters in particular is an amazingly poorly done sex object. Also it just ends with no real climax or even final boss. It's also too long, or at least seemed to take a while to do everything, but maybe that's because I did everything. Anyway, I won't be replaying it, I don't want to go through it all again on hard or nightmare for a plat, not interested enough.

No I have never played Dark Souls although I played a lot of Demon's Souls, which I loved. I am back on GTA4 at the minute as I forgot I hadn't played either or the add-ons.

Banana I havent seen in a very long time, was he in the previous thread at all?

And happy new year as well!

Raycon
10 months ago#16
Nakrophile posted...
and one of the female characters in particular is an amazingly poorly done sex object.

XD

Nakrophile posted...
Anyway, I won't be replaying it, I don't want to go through it all again on hard or nightmare for a plat, not interested enough.

It's nice to know there are some games you will say no to. = )

Sorry to hear it was such a disappointment. I hadn't heard anything about the weapon variety, and that sounds pretty cool, but everything seems kind of spot on with the general impressions I'm getting. More of a concept gone live than a full-fledged product, I suspect. = /

Nakrophile posted...

No I have never played Dark Souls although I played a lot of Demon's Souls, which I loved. I am back on GTA4 at the minute as I forgot I hadn't played either or the add-ons.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those too, haha. I know those games tend to be pretty big, but the add-ons can't be too bad. ...Right?

>______>

But no, I'm pretty sure banana's been gone for a long time. It would be nice to see him, just say hi, catch up and all that, though. Plus, Dark_Avarice is bound to show up again. Probably. = P

Nakrophile
10 months ago#17
It was bad, but was more 'we are men' than, for instance, the utter filth of Quiet in TPP. Did you ever play that?

I have plenty of games I gave up on, I think. Evil Within (the hell with that), Final Fantasy 13-3 (still disappointed I didn't like it, maybe I'll go back to it one day), Street Fighter 4, some wrestling game my friend bought drunk, some darts game my friend bought drunk... and actually I should include TPP too. Anyway I did enjoy Rage, it just took a while and I can't be bothered to do it again, especially as no doubt the racing parts will be harder.

I actually had already played one (the Lost and Damned), which was good. It's the same map so still big only fewer missions. The second one, the Ballad of Gay Tony, is loads better than both TLaD and the main game. It seems to have been made with the older games in mind as they put stuff like tanks and attack helicopters back in, and also a Vice City radio station and it generally seems stupider compared to how po-faced most of the other two parts to 4 are.

Random film recommendation time: One Cut of the Dead. Don't read up on it, just see it. It's great!

Raycon
10 months ago#18
Nakrophile posted...
It was bad, but was more 'we are men' than, for instance, the utter filth of Quiet in TPP. Did you ever play that?

Ha, no, I could never work up the nerve. I'm one of the few that was convinced MGS4 was a fine send-off for the series, and I don't dare tarnish that memory. >_>

Nakrophile posted...

I have plenty of games I gave up on, I think. Evil Within (the hell with that)

Yeah, I've heard that one was pretty brutal. Almost like old-school games with how many times you might be re-trying a section before you finally get past it. = /

Nakrophile posted...
some wrestling game my friend bought drunk, some darts game my friend bought drunk...

Seeing a pattern here... XD

Nakrophile posted...
It seems to have been made with the older games in mind as they put stuff like tanks and attack helicopters back in, and also a Vice City radio station and it generally seems stupider compared to how po-faced most of the other two parts to 4 are.

Well, that seems pretty cool. I think a little wackiness suits GTA every once in a while. Of all the GTAIV addons, that seems to be the one I hear the most about it, usually folks saying it was fun (if I remember right, it's been a while...).

Nakrophile posted...
Random film recommendation time: One Cut of the Dead. Don't read up on it, just see it. It's great!

I don't have a ton of free time at the moment (school's back in session >_<), but I'll definitely add it to my list. Always looking for a good movie to sit down with when I get a free moment. = )

Nakrophile
10 months ago#19
MGS4 was perfect, but you should play Peace Walker, as it is a fine conclusion to Big Boss' story, and still feels like MGS. Plus it has dinosaurs.

As I'm playing it again, I briefly flirted with the idea of going for the plat on GTA4, then read through the multiplayer requirements again. Never doing that. But yes, I've aways found it best when it's ridiculous. GTA4 is just too boring with too much of the fun, stupid stuff in previous games removed. I gather GTA5 is more in line with those and some day I'll get around to playing it, but eh.

It's a good one.

Raycon
10 months ago#20
Nakrophile posted...
MGS4 was perfect, but you should play Peace Walker, as it is a fine conclusion to Big Boss' story, and still feels like MGS. Plus it has dinosaurs.

Oh yeah, I think you recommended Peace Walker once before. I read somewhere it was mission-based, kind of like Portable Ops (which I did not like), and I think that put me off. But I've not heard any complaints about the writing. Plus, I think there's a console version of it now, which is nice...

Nakrophile posted...

As I'm playing it again, I briefly flirted with the idea of going for the plat on GTA4, then read through the multiplayer requirements again.

They always make the multiplayer requirements absurd. I know they don't want to make them too easy, but I recall Killzone 2 having requirements like, "be in the top 5 of the leaderboards for a week" or something. Granted, as the community died off, anybody playing at all was bound to get in that top chart, but still. >_>
  1. Boards
  2. Alien Resurrection
  3. It's lonely on the Nostromo
  • Post New Message