• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Alien Resurrection
  3. It's lonely on the Auriga

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
1 year ago#451
Nakrophile posted...
Isn't there some nightmare nightmare mode where you can't save? That sounds amazing, you should try that.

XD

I did. I never made it past the first level. >_>

Nakrophile posted...

I'm considering using a rocket launcher on Salazer to save ammo.

Please send help.

I really hope you are selling all your excess ammo. That's what I always did, and I almost never regretted it. Until a re-appearance of El Gigante, anyway (I'm not nearly as good with the knife as you are >_>).

Dark_Avarice posted...
Then you just lose it one day and the whole world feels flat, empty, barren, tedious, finished. Just like reality.

This is always such a tough feeling. I've had that with a few other games (not too many), but it's crushing. You realize this world full of life and adventure has been nothing more than illusion the whole time, and you kind of wish you could just go back to the cave to stare at more shadows. >_>

Dark_Avarice posted...
Anyway, I read somewhere that Persona 3 is supposed to be an all time great. Barely even heard of it, let alone 1 or 2, but it might be worth a look.

That's kind of weird... I might have my personas mixed (pun intended? anyway, never played any of them), but someone I keep in touch with tried playing through one of them (I think it was 3), and they kept saying how dungeon-crawler-ey it felt. I think P4 was where the series really found its stride? Again, I could be way off.

Dark_Avarice posted...
Mostly I just start these things and stare at the screen, baffled. No motivation. Then I end up reading instead.

I hear you there. It's like it's such a neat idea until you get around to it, then I just end up feeling silly. But that's not a bad thing; it's pretty healthy, I think, to acknowledge that there are more important things/more worthwhile ways to spend time outside of video games. = )

Dark_Avarice posted...
Well, I knew one of them pretty well but he had a heart attack two years ago.

Christ, you're so candid. XD

Anyway, thanks for keeping this one alive, guys. I was on vacation for a week there and I've been scrambling to find my stride again. There was a lot of Gamefaqs to catch up, surprisingly. I remember when I had all the time in the world to waste on this site...
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

User Info: Dark_Avarice

Dark_Avarice
1 year ago#452
Raycon posted...
Anyway, thanks for keeping this one alive, guys.

You know you're in trouble when I have to save the thread. It's nearly at 50 pages too, that'd be two or three years down the drain.

Raycon posted...
It's like it's such a neat idea until you get around to it, then I just end up feeling silly.

I always was incredibly lazy, but when a video game seems like too much effort... well, I suppose there's more to it than that. These things are so long, you need to be hooked by something to justify the effort. Gameplay, story, preferably both. Game story's usually a bit stupid, but you can put up with it as long it's not too bad or the tone or whatever takes centre stage like with Resurrection. Memories bridge the gap too; I think I'm starting to understand my preference for reruns. I'm reading Proust and the big theme, 'involuntary' memory, is strangely relevant. Certain things at certain times... even if it is just some old alien shooter... and you're sucked back into years past.

I know as little about Persona as it's possible to know. If it's no good, well, not much time wasted. The PSP must be one of the best consoles ever made. Didn't appreciate it that much back in 2006, now it's the only one I still use. This is with... err... modifications, I suppose I should admit. Incredibly easy to install though, unlike with certain other handhelds. Including the Vita, I hear, which coincidentally didn't do so well.

I've actually finally really made some progress with FF Type 0. Almost at the end, I think, after finishing two more missions. Despite having forgot what the story's even about. Although that was never too clear even last year. Beautiful cutscenes though. Lots of obvious commentary on the use of the A bombs in WW2, and possible future use of who even knows what they've cooked up in the meantime, H bombs, X, Y, Z bombs... Such a brutal war and I've no idea what it's about. The cutscenes are almost all depressing, the game itself isn't. They kind of account for this in the story. Kind of.

The big novelty is that you're supposed to play it twice, and things are allegedly clearer the second time around. Also you can do a bunch of stuff that you're hopelessly underleveled for the first time around. Well, alright. The combat system is kind of fun even if I'm hopeless at it. 13 characters, party of three, real-time action at a ridiculous pace. Timing is everything, if you can't hit the baddies at the exact right moment things don't end well. Always was rubbish at that. Still, I only had to reload once in that last mission despite a few bosses and ticking clocks. The balance can be surprisingly gentle.

Hope you enjoyed the vacation. Someone else I talk to in the US was just complaining about nightmarish winter jumping to nightmarish summer in a week or two. We didn't exactly get a real autumn here, not unless this perfect weather now counts.

User Info: Nakrophile

Nakrophile
1 year ago#453
Ah the inivitable happend, I had quite a good run, too.

So let's see what happened with RE4. This was one of the worst runs I've ever done, in that I went full blown spaz mode with the knife. And no, I never sell ammo unless it;s for a gun I don't have. I hoard ammo. The worst part is after you get the free rocket launcher in the castle and the broken butterly... I spend most of the game juggling one or two free slots, but with those two weapons it's really hard. The trick is never to pick up healing items unless they're enemy drops, but even then it's tough.

So, it's probably easiest to do this by mentioning the times/enemies I didn't use the knife exclusively:

Village swarm before the bell (mainly as I have to kill both Dr. Salvadors)
Cabin seige
Second El Gigante
Bella Sisters
Chief Mendez
Water room in castle
Insects in the sewers (when more than one)
Dogs in the hedge maze
Insects in the tower and caves (as one shots them all when in flight, although did you know you can also one stab them if lucky)
The tentacle plagas
Normal enemies in double garador bit
Vergudo or whatever his name is (Salazar's bodyguard)
Double El Gigante bit
Mine cart ride
Final lift in the spire before Salazar
Salazar
Island after the first two sections
Saddler

Odd pot shots throughout obviously, mostly to stun shield enemies, but for the most part I really committed to it. Even did U3 with just the knife. But yeah, I'm never playing it again now. That game... it does something to me, something terrible. I usualy use enough ammo so I can get free ammo on the next upgrade, and precious little else. By the time I get halfway through the island I usually start firing recklessly, as knifing those giant armoured guys is no fun.

Otherwise, I almost started the Dead Space games but started the PS3 Ratchet & Clank's instead.

Raycon
1 year ago#454
You know you're in trouble when I have to save the thread

XD

The PSP must be one of the best consoles ever made. Didn't appreciate it that much back in 2006, now it's the only one I still use. This is with... err... modifications, I suppose I should admit. Incredibly easy to install though

It's a shame they didn't market it as one of its major selling points. = P

Your review of Type-0 definitely intrigues me. I've always been on the fence about it (long-ass FF games require a sizeable investment, after all), but I might have to look more into it. I've heard good things for the most part, and while I'm not that great at rhythm games/special timing, you make it sound like it has a lenient side that keeps it from becoming frustrating.

Vacation wasn't too bad. We left Texas in hopes of escaping the summer heat for a while, but Chicago was just a blistering. It was only on our final day, as we were preparing to live that it finally lived up to its name as the "windy city." Like, what was even the point of going out of state!?

Though I'd have to be pretty callous to complain about heat when our summer's are probably about as gentle as the springs down there. = (
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

Nakrophile
1 year ago#455
Ratchet & Clank are great. On A Crack in Time now, it's very good. Although it's a bit weird that more than half of this trilogy has been without Clank, but there are enough machanics to make up for that in the gameplay. Still a bit odd, but it makes the reunion a bit nicer I guess. Though in some ways I think the thid game was the best (PS2), these have all been excellent. I like that the developers make no attempts to hide their massive sci-fi nerdism.

So I'm not sure, should I start Extraction after this and do on/off R&C/Dead Space? That could be tonally weird... quite a lot, actually.

Not sure when I'll start on an rpg type game again. They are quite the time sink. I was planning to do Dark Souls 1 and 2 after the above (and they are rpg-ish) but after watching the new Doom trailer, I may have to cut my losses and just get a PS4. All the Dark Souls and Uncharted's are on it, so...

Dark_Avarice
1 year ago#456
Your review of Type-0 definitely intrigues me. I've always been on the fence about it (long-ass FF games require a sizeable investment, after all), but I might have to look more into it. I've heard good things for the most part, and while I'm not that great at rhythm games/special timing, you make it sound like it has a lenient side that keeps it from becoming frustrating.

I'm still playing it two weeks later, so it probably is fair to say it's won me over. One or two hours a night, most of it spent running around the map not progressing the story. Definitely near the actual end now though; they came up with more surprises than I expected. Never having actually finished a FF except tactics I didn't have any particular expectations. This story makes no sense and I think it's the presentation. Not all of that can be deliberate.

Too many protagonists for them to be anything but archetypes. Or cliches, honestly. Also the sort-of-but-not-really 'lead' is a petulant child. Luckily everyone else in-game seems to agree. The antagonists had far more potential but not enough screen time to realise it. Although I guess there's a little more time. And playthrough two, which had better live up to the promise. The music is beautiful either way, that composer injected so much life into this.

But it's like they deliberately decided not to tell you anything about anything. Ever. There's actually an airship in game, once unlocked available in any playthrough. Serious business. You can ride around the whole map in that thing. Not only do they not tell you about it, but in fact to find it you have to:

1: Accept a late game mission off an optional list you've been conditioned to ignore
2: Do the mission in a far away region
3: Go back to the city you just unlocked, with no prompting
4: Accept a random side quest that actually unlocks another part of the map
5: Go to this completely optional hidden dungeon in the furthest reaches of the map
6: Do not turn back when you finish the quest, but finish the whole dungeon (which is by far the hardest yet)

This can be missed very very easily. But this is actually where I realised I was enjoying the game. Those bonus enemies, iron giants, are like a perfect test of the combat system. One mistake and you're instantly dead, but the patterns (about 5) are predictable. Dodge, wait, strike, etc. I got to a red giant whose health regenerated and felt like throwing the PSP through a window. Not only can you not mess up (dead) but you have to hit every single chance to slowly whittle its 5 health bars down faster than it can regen them. Didn't even think it was possible at my lowly level.

Next night I managed it. Twice. And suddenly the combat system made sense. If you can find it cheap the game's worth a shot for that alone, I think. Though I have been playing it on a handheld, whether any of that works as well on the big screen--no idea.

Raycon
1 year ago#457
Nakrophile posted...
Ratchet & Clank are great. On A Crack in Time now, it's very good.

Oooh, yeah, I love me some R&C . I never played any that weren't on the PS3 collection, though, so any of the new PS3 games (Future Tools of Destruction and onward) I've no opinion on. I was really hoping they'd do an R&C Future collection (with all the games bundled), but I think by this point, it's safe to say that's not happening. = P

I have a soft-spot for R&C 1; the worlds just feel so brilliant and alive in that game, even if the weapons aren't at their peak. R&C 3 brought the weapon upgrade system to its full potential though, and upgrading isn't nearly the chore it was in R&C 2 (plus I found the story a lot more enjoyable in R&C 3).

Nakrophile posted...
So I'm not sure, should I start Extraction after this and do on/off R&C/Dead Space? That could be tonally weird... quite a lot, actually.

Extraction shouldn't take you too long. It's a pretty short game, if I remember right, and it wasn't particularly hard. If you plan on maxing out the levels/weapons, it might take you 3 playthroughs or so? I don't remember it being very challenging, but surprisingly well-written and fun.

Nakrophile posted...

Not sure when I'll start on an rpg type game again. They are quite the time sink. I was planning to do Dark Souls 1 and 2 after the above (and they are rpg-ish) but after watching the new Doom trailer, I may have to cut my losses and just get a PS4. All the Dark Souls and Uncharted's are on it, so...

Ooh, yeah, I saw that Doom footage and knew I wasn't quite done with video games yet. XD
I don't remember if you've played them or not, but I love the Dark Souls games. Can't recommend them enough to someone who's a fan of punishment. = )

Dark_Avarice posted...
This story makes no sense and I think it's the presentation. Not all of that can be deliberate.

This... falls in line with the last 2-3 FFs I've played, so I'd say it's about par. = P

But you did say things might change on a replay. Maybe it's going the NIER route, where the story changes dramatically on the second run? That would be awesome.

Dark_Avarice posted...
Not only do they not tell you about it, but in fact to find it you have to:

1: Accept a late game mission off an optional list you've been conditioned to ignore
2: Do the mission in a far away region
3: Go back to the city you just unlocked, with no prompting
4: Accept a random side quest that actually unlocks another part of the map
5: Go to this completely optional hidden dungeon in the furthest reaches of the map
6: Do not turn back when you finish the quest, but finish the whole dungeon (which is by far the hardest yet)

XD

Good old Final Fantasy... It's kind of refreshing they still hide secrets this deeply in games, but that final step sounds like a *****. You really put the combat system in a good light though. Should this next semester not steamroll right over me, I'll have to give it a look!

Nakrophile
1 year ago#458
I have Dark Souls 1 and 2, just haven't started them yet. Which is odd given how much I fell in love with Demon's Souls, but I'm sure I'll get around to them.

R&C is indeed excellent. This one, All 4 One, is a bit different and I get the feeling I should be playing it with other people, but eh. It's fun enough. I have two more after this, another spin-off type game and Into the Nexus, which I presume is a proper game like the older ones. In general the PS3 games have been great, but I found the humour to be... more humourous and knowing in the PS2 games. Still great, though.

I played Extraction a while ago, this would be finally starting my hard mode play throughs... I'lll get there.

Dark_Avarice
1 year ago#459
Raycon posted...
This... falls in line with the last 2-3 FFs I've played, so I'd say it's about par. = P

I was reading the wiki, gave up trying to piece it together on my own, and discovered to my amazement there is some method to the madness--it's just the most opaque thing ever written. Not even bad either, what an absolutely miserable depressing dour hateful nightmare world that game's set in after all, as the cutscenes all suggested.

Why the director felt obliged to hide literally everything good about this story, who knows? There's actually a cutscene you unlock after finishing it that explains what the hell happened in the finale, which is a total utter mystery at the time. I guess from the protagonists' perspective that's also true but the entire game they show you scenes the characters have no access to, so that's no excuse. And in that bonus cutscene you get 20 tragic seconds with the final boss that with like one line instantly explains everything, almost paints him a sympathetic figure. Would've been nice if I'd seen that when it mattered. Anyway...

Raycon posted...
But you did say things might change on a replay. Maybe it's going the NIER route, where the story changes dramatically on the second run?

There are early signs for optimism. At least it wasn't done totally on the cheap. There are already new missions, mostly spun off from the old ones. There are a lot of new cutscenes and events too. And I can actually do half the old content this time, though some of it is still well out of reach. Also in this playthrough, I read, there's an infinite gold glitch with the airship that I'm probably going to end up abusing. Apparently it wasn't patched for the consoles either.

Raycon posted...
You really put the combat system in a good light though.

I might just be really bad at it... still, I remember reading that they toned down the difficulty for the console releases due to some complaints, added an easier mode or something, so maybe I did alright after all. That moment where you figure a character out though, that's pretty satisfying. Last time I forced myself to use the last member of my default team, a girl with a flute, of all things, and discovered she's ridiculously powerful when you know what you're doing. Instantly dead when you don't.

That kind of balance is refreshing. There's even a comparison with the story, really--comically obscure, yeah, but at least it's not treating me like a total idiot.

Raycon
1 year ago#460
Sorry, was away another vacation. >_>

Nakrophile posted...
I have Dark Souls 1 and 2, just haven't started them yet. Which is odd given how much I fell in love with Demon's Souls, but I'm sure I'll get around to them.

I really enjoyed the first one (even if it does recycle a lot of content from Demon's Souls >_>), but stayed away from Dark Souls 2 after the flak it received. Apparently it's shined stronger in the multiplayer light than the single-player, and that wasn't going to do much for me. = P

Nakrophile posted...
This one, All 4 One, is a bit different and I get the feeling I should be playing it with other people

It's nice that it at least has the option for a single-player run (I hate those games that stealth-require multiple people to fully enjoy *glares at Dead Space 3*).

Dark_Avarice posted...
Not even bad either, what an absolutely miserable depressing dour hateful nightmare world that game's set in after all, as the cutscenes all suggested.

That sounds pretty awesome. NIER was very similar. It has such an expansive backstory that you don't get more than glimpses of. The game itself is great, and the second run completely changes the tone of the game, but then you read the backstory and it's like... whoa. Why aren't there seven prequels to this thing already!?

Dark_Avarice posted...
Also in this playthrough, I read, there's an infinite gold glitch with the airship that I'm probably going to end up abusing. Apparently it wasn't patched for the consoles either.

>= )

Not going to lie, I'll probably end up doing the same. As challenging as you made it sound to even unlock the airship, I'll think of it as more of a reward than an exploit...

Dark_Avarice posted...
I might just be really bad at it... still, I remember reading that they toned down the difficulty for the console releases due to some complaints, added an easier mode or something, so maybe I did alright after all.

And you are playing it for the PSP, right? Now I'm sort of torn. I do enjoy my PSP, and it would be nice to have something to use it with. Plus... I admit the added difficulty sounds really enticing. I'm not a masochist, but I was going through Furi (one of those cheap, indie games), and there is something to be said about sense of reward that comes from mastering the timing of an already challenging game...
  1. Boards
  2. Alien Resurrection
  3. It's lonely on the Auriga
  • Topic Archived