• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Alien Resurrection
  3. It's lonely on the Auriga

User Info: Nakrophile

Nakrophile
4 years ago#1
Did MGS5 kill our thread?

I was here the other week and thought about replying to myself again, but thought it wouldn't close for at least a month. Oh noes...

Anyway, I'd like to play Resurrection again. I think Isolation has probably spoilt me, but I'd love to go back and play AR at some point. I just can't be bothered getting my PS2 down and setting it up again. I'd love for it to be on the PS store, but it isn't. You know what else isn't on the PS store? Nuclear Strike. I had an itch to play it again, and wondered if it might e available. It wasn't, but Soviet Strike was, except there was no option to buy it, so it just lay there taunting me.

The biggest flaw in the mega drive collection - which is almost flawless - is the absence of any of any strikes. I mean, some of the games on there are awful, why not at least Desert Strike? Oh well, I will have to get both my mega drive and my PS2 to play any of them.

Id also like to play the original AR version, but obviously that;s not going to happen. Though I am kind of surprised there aren't any videos of it being tested, especially as I remember reading articles during its development. haha, I wonder how long ago that was...

User Info: banana360

banana360
4 years ago#2
There's so much the PS store is missing... Heck it doesn't even have Alien trilogy, let alone resurrection. Then again. I've just... Not had the time to check the store... Or do much of anything else, hence my inactivity. XD
This reminds me of English classes where we'd put bulls*** meanings to things the that the authors didn't intend. - curryandrice

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
4 years ago#3
So life happened. Hard. Pretty much didn't use the Internet for months.

Anyway, I finally got an itch to play another game went for Isolation. This is a dream come true (so far). I'm actually annoyed when the alien ISN'T stalking me. I do feel it's a bit too heavy on the Bioshock inspiration in places (which they admit they used a bit of), but oh man, it's just great.

Saw the other thread died. That... sucks. It was like 30 posts shy of being done.

To add to the Dead Space 3 note, you don't really see Carter (or whatever his name is) unless you play co-op. And yes, he is a douche, and one of his co-op missions goes full RE5 and is a living hell to survive through.
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

Nakrophile
4 years ago#4
Isolation is great yep. Can we discus spoilers for it yet? Thing towards the end I want to talk about!

Anyway, I finished MGS5. Spoiler thoughts (and here I thought my days of fanboy reactions were behind me)...

What a total goddamn disappointment that turned out to be. The ending was... just what the hell happened... I could live with that fact that the game just isn't finished, even if that is basically unforgivable. I could live with the fact that most of the missions in chapter two of the game are just the same ones from chapter one but on a higher difficulty setting. I could even force myself to live with the fact there is no main theme (neither original or MGS3 variant) even if that is totally unforgivable. And, if it was just the whole "hey guys Paz is not dead lol" thing on it's own, I might be able to look past it even if it doesn't make sense.
But then at the very end it just became a joke and I became very angry. Making the character you play through TPP to not be Big Boss is obviously bad enough, but it doesn't even make sense. And they try to make it make sense, but they can't as it's just ridiculous. Obviously it makes no sense as it's a stupid idea, but I mean what the hell. I did like that it also means that Big Boss is the player, but they could have done that without f***ing the whole series over on the final game. There's a mission towards the end set on mother base which is AMAZING and I was so happy. I thought, "yes, this is why Big Boss became who he was. I wasn't sure if we really needed further games with BB, but I was wrong because this is just incredible" But then the last mission, apparently a secret although it unlocked for me before the final mission with Quiet did so I don't know what was so secret about it, is frankly an absolute joke. There's some clips on youtoob from what the final mission would have been had they bothered to include it, but even if they had, if you're not actually Big Boss then who cares, there is no emotional impact.

FFS, what an awful way to go out. MGS1 to 4, the hell with anything else.

The hell with that then. Should I play Bioshock?

User Info: banana360

banana360
4 years ago#5
Nakrophile posted...
Isolation is great yep. Can we discus spoilers for it yet? Thing towards the end I want to talk about!

Anyway, I finished MGS5. Spoiler thoughts (and here I thought my days of fanboy reactions were behind me)...

What a total goddamn disappointment that turned out to be. The ending was... just what the hell happened... I could live with that fact that the game just isn't finished, even if that is basically unforgivable. I could live with the fact that most of the missions in chapter two of the game are just the same ones from chapter one but on a higher difficulty setting. I could even force myself to live with the fact there is no main theme (neither original or MGS3 variant) even if that is totally unforgivable. And, if it was just the whole "hey guys Paz is not dead lol" thing on it's own, I might be able to look past it even if it doesn't make sense.
But then at the very end it just became a joke and I became very angry. Making the character you play through TPP to not be Big Boss is obviously bad enough, but it doesn't even make sense. And they try to make it make sense, but they can't as it's just ridiculous. Obviously it makes no sense as it's a stupid idea, but I mean what the hell. I did like that it also means that Big Boss is the player, but they could have done that without f***ing the whole series over on the final game. There's a mission towards the end set on mother base which is AMAZING and I was so happy. I thought, "yes, this is why Big Boss became who he was. I wasn't sure if we really needed further games with BB, but I was wrong because this is just incredible" But then the last mission, apparently a secret although it unlocked for me before the final mission with Quiet did so I don't know what was so secret about it, is frankly an absolute joke. There's some clips on youtoob from what the final mission would have been had they bothered to include it, but even if they had, if you're not actually Big Boss then who cares, there is no emotional impact.

FFS, what an awful way to go out. MGS1 to 4, the hell with anything else.

The hell with that then. Should I play Bioshock?

Yeah, sacking Kojima is likely to be their biggest and last mistake. :P

And yes, the first bioshock is one of the best fps games ever. Just... the setting, the story, the ideas...
Loved it!
This reminds me of English classes where we'd put bulls*** meanings to things the that the authors didn't intend. - curryandrice

Raycon
4 years ago#6
Can't discuss spoilers yet, but I think I'm getting closer to the end. Ricard just got facehugged D = .

Will check back in once that's done, but can only play at night, so that is slowing me down. >= /
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

Raycon
4 years ago#7
So just finished Isolation. Holy ****. This might be my Dead Space 1 of this new generation. I have never been so ready to quit playing a game out of fear in so long. And that ending was nothing short of one long adrenaline rush. Jesus Christ. I'm in love.

My only gripe was the point of no return. Wish I knew, as I had some last minute exploring left untouched. >= /

One that thing comes to mind, the eggs. Where the hell were they coming from? I saw no queen, nor was one hinted at. I guess they were going with the original Alien egg theory, in the absence of a queen? I swear though, from the Reactor level onward, I just wanted to shut the game off. I was not expecting a god damn nest level, much less facehuggers and more than one alien. >_>;.

Nakrophile
4 years ago#8
The reactor is probably the worst thing I have ever experienced. But the sight of them all escaping when it was over was even worse. And then when more than one starts hunting you that's not so great either...

Looking back the eggs/Queen were hinted at. There was a level relatively early on (I think one of the hospital ones where at the end you thing you're fine and then goddammit the alien is in front of you and everything explodes) where there are a load of bodies with suspicious holes in their chests. At the time I assumed they'd been tail-speared, but obviously not! I quite liked the idea of there being a Queen somewhere and just never seeing it Also not really sure how a Queen encounter/fight would have worked in the game, unless it was just more hiding.

Then there is the bit where Amanda has set-up the self-destruct and there are a group of aliens just standing around on top of the station in space, but I out that down to there really being no evidence to the contrary that aliens can't do that. The only time we've seen the in space is being blown out of airlocks (I've always liked the idea of there being an angry Queen just floating through space somewhere).

Anyway it's amazing. I will go through it again soon and try and pick up all the logs I missed.

Raycon
4 years ago#9
Nakrophile posted...
The reactor is probably the worst thing I have ever experienced. But the sight of them all escaping when it was over was even worse. And then when more than one starts hunting you that's not so great either...

My thoughts exactly. From the moment I saw more than one crawl out from the reactor, I had nothing but dread hanging over me the entirety of the game. It was tense enough just thinking there was one of those bastards.

Looking back the eggs/Queen were hinted at. There was a level relatively early on (I think one of the hospital ones where at the end you thing you're fine and then goddammit the alien is in front of you and everything explodes) where there are a load of bodies with suspicious holes in their chests. At the time I assumed they'd been tail-speared, but obviously not! I quite liked the idea of there being a Queen somewhere and just never seeing it Also not really sure how a Queen encounter/fight would have worked in the game, unless it was just more hiding.

Or something to save for the sequel. = )

Then there is the bit where Amanda has set-up the self-destruct and there are a group of aliens just standing around on top of the station in space, but I out that down to there really being no evidence to the contrary that aliens can't do that. The only time we've seen the in space is being blown out of airlocks (I've always liked the idea of there being an angry Queen just floating through space somewhere).

It was extremely common in a lot of the novels/comics. Something to do with their cells constantly being shed, so it makes them extremely adverse to extreme conditions, including the vacuum of space. So that part did not surprise me. What did surprise me was that mind-**** when you get to the first space suit at the end and the slime drips down onto the helmet. I thought I had ****ed up for sure. XD

Nakrophile
4 years ago#10
Raycon posted...
It was extremely common in a lot of the novels/comics. Something to do with their cells constantly being shed, so it makes them extremely adverse to extreme conditions, including the vacuum of space. So that part did not surprise me. What did surprise me was that mind-**** when you get to the first space suit at the end and the slime drips down onto the helmet. I thought I had ****ed up for sure. XD

Yes this is true. But I mean there have been no hints of that sort of thing in the films, but anyway it was a nice touch. I definitely need to replay it soon, still playing Phantom Pain for now though and adore it, but damn that ending still makes me cringe when I think about it. Which is every time I play the game. Hate hate hate. Still one of the best games ever though.

I hope an Isolation sequel, if they make one, is on PS3. But maybe I'll have upgraded by then. Also, have you played either of the DLC stories? They be good.
  1. Boards
  2. Alien Resurrection
  3. It's lonely on the Auriga
  • Topic Archived