• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Alien Resurrection
  3. I've never seen a blue alien

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
5 years ago#31
Maximum Security... Part 1

So the beginning is not as bad as I remember it. There's a save point pretty close to the start, so I got my mileage out of it by passing it up the first time and hitting it on the way back (just before the Perez fight). Now, were there always two save points in this room? Cause they're right next to each other, and I don't remember that. A hard mode mercy, maybe? I guess there is a kind bone in their body after all...

Well, I wanted to come up with a foolproof strategy for Perez's AI, but I've come to the conclusion nothing is definite with this guy. The best I've got is a probability. There's a probability that he won't pull the rocket launcher out at the start and botch your attempt to leave the tunnel, there's a probability he won't hit you with it even if you're crouched, and there's a probability that he won't run to the very back and screw up my routine.

So to start, I immediately take out the explosive box on the right side and gun down the hazmats as fast as possible. If quick enough, he'll still be running for the next cover before he can pull out his next gun. If not, you can hide out in the tunnel and pray he doesn't bazooka the place. It's a 50/50 chance he'll get with it no matter where you stand in the tunnel.

If I down the hazmats before that, I run out into the open- if his next gun is a rocket launcher, I duck down and circle around him while pummeling him with the Pulse Rifle (staying out in the open to avoid splash damage). If not, I race to the corner where I blew up the crate earlier. If he's got the Pulse Rifle/Pistol, he'll either come after you or shoot from where he's standing. If the latter, you can use the alcove here to hide. If the former, try to squeeze between the wall and barricade (almost exactly where the box was before). You probably won't get through, but this will trick his AI into running around the other side. As soon as he does, hide in the alcove until he stops or switches guns.

Now it comes down to what he has. If he drops to the ground with his weapon low, he's switching; immediately get out in the open as it's probably a rocket launcher (unless it's already a rocket launcher, in which case it's not). Stay crouched and strafe him. If he drops down but keeps his weapon raised, stay hidden in the alcove. The good news is, there's a HUGE opening for damage in-between weapons. He'll just stand around like he forgot what he was doing (or even scratch his head). That's the time to pummel him. Seek cover or get out in the open if he drops to switch weapons again.

In total, it'll take about 100 Pulse Rifle rounds to nail him. I retried this fight about 30-40 times to find a working strategy, and this is the best I could come up with. He has a knack for doing something that really screws me up, overall this seemed to either minimize the damage, or avoid taking any entirely.
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

Raycon
5 years ago#32
Those cells at the end are a freaking nightmare. I'm positive it's my TV now- I'm used to the place being dark, but it has never been this black before. I used to have old CRT TV, and I bet it's this new LCD one that's throwing everything off. No wonder everything feels so much darker...

The cells themselves aren't even that long a section, but damn was every step terrifying. Happy to be done with that. On to the next one... eventually.

Retries: 49
Shotgun shells: 13
Pulse Rifle rounds: 1822
Flamethrower Fuel: 1214
Medkits: 27s 15m 4l (Used: 1s)
Autodocs: 18 (Used: 1)
Game time: 3:58:11
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

User Info: Dark_Avarice

Dark_Avarice
5 years ago#33
So I tried finding the variables that control the player's position on the Z axis, turns out there are at least 8 of them, but the best part is that by changing them you can go through floors. Which is to say, I've been in the last secret room. The extra lift activated messages don't seem to have anything to do with it, because I used a similar method to activate some other lifts. Could be that the lift just doesn't have a trigger at all. Either way, it's much more successful than trying to edit the maps or PC version files.

Dumped some screenshots at http://imgur.com/a/9fRxu

I feel like I expected something really... significant, but potentially being the first to see it since the devs is nice. Definitely learned a bit about how games work by doing it.
_________

Which enemy is the hardest to deal with, do you think? Those spec ops marines are horrible, but humans just never feel as dangerous, even when they clearly are.

Raycon
5 years ago#34
Dark_Avarice posted...
So I tried finding the variables that control the player's position on the Z axis, turns out there are at least 8 of them, but the best part is that by changing them you can go through floors. Which is to say, I've been in the last secret room. The extra lift activated messages don't seem to have anything to do with it, because I used a similar method to activate some other lifts. Could be that the lift just doesn't have a trigger at all. Either way, it's much more successful than trying to edit the maps or PC version files.

I feel like I expected something really... significant, but potentially being the first to see it since the devs is nice. Definitely learned a bit about how games work by doing it.

Holy cow, nice work! I thought for sure there was no getting in there, but there it is! I'm kind of surprised there are only two aliens- enough to throw off the 100% on aliens killed, unfortunately (if you're not not playing on Xenomania, that is).

Which enemy is the hardest to deal with, do you think? Those spec ops marines are horrible, but humans just never feel as dangerous, even when they clearly are.

To deal with? I lean towards the black warriors in the last part of the game. Those guys are freaking tanks. But I agree, humans just don't look threatening. I guess compared to all else, they seem relatively ordinary.

= /

Dark_Avarice
5 years ago#35
I'm still annoyed that I can't get to the back part of the room. Access to that terminal (if it works) would've let me figure out which address the busted lift corresponds to. I read that Doom and Doom-like games don't tend to respond well to noclip/position moving cheats. Something about textures not loading. The game definitely reuses the addresses from level to level, but trying to find them all and then testing them on DL would take ages, and there's not too much reason to anymore. I'm just shocked that it worked. Kind of figured that if it hadn't been done by now, there was good reason for it.

Been trying to get the laser enabled for every character, but the closest I got was rediscovering the infinite ammo cheat in the menu. Yeah. But I figure if I make it easy enough, I'll have a game I can beat while still having some challenge.

User Info: banana360

banana360
5 years ago#36
Just... Wow. You're on level 7 already? XD
Short one, too. Just underwater-ness. I swear it's dumb luck it you blow yourself up or not against aliens. >.>
This reminds me of English classes where we'd put bulls*** meanings to things the that the authors didn't intend. - curryandrice

User Info: razzle170286

razzle170286
5 years ago#37
Dark_Avarice posted...

That's awesome. =D

Despite only containing 2 Aliens and a Smartgun, at least you finally got in there! It's great to find secrets and deleted levels that are hidden away on the disc. Speaking of which, I took a look at the insides of AR years ago and found 2 levels listed that were not in the game. They may just be place holder names, but damn, it would be awesome if there really is 2 extra levels. ^_^

Raycon posted...
Those cells at the end are a freaking nightmare. I'm positive it's my TV now- I'm used to the place being dark, but it has never been this black before. I used to have old CRT TV, and I bet it's this new LCD one that's throwing everything off. No wonder everything feels so much darker...

The cells themselves aren't even that long a section, but damn was every step terrifying. Happy to be done with that. On to the next one... eventually.

Retries: 49
Shotgun shells: 13
Pulse Rifle rounds: 1822
Flamethrower Fuel: 1214
Medkits: 27s 15m 4l (Used: 1s)
Autodocs: 18 (Used: 1)
Game time: 3:58:11

Damn, Raycon, you've made short work of this playthrough so far! You're right about the problem being your LCD television, it's the same with mine, it messes up all the shadows for some reason and makes everything to dark. But then if you crank the brightness up it washes out the screen and ruins the look of the game.>_>

At least going into Mess Hall Complex with all that Pulse ammo you can let of some steam and really give those Xeno's a good ass whopping. I love level 7 btw (when you have ammo, that is) I think it's tied for my favourite along with Christie's.

I'm really itching to do a playthrough myself, just gotta get hold of my PS2. >_<
United Kingdom. The only country in the world where having children is a career.

Dark_Avarice
5 years ago#38
So Trilogy reuses elevator addresses from level to level. Got some interesting results, but like everything else I've tried, getting the good stuff takes a long time. Short of fixing the elevator, which is probably possible but tediously difficult, there's not really much left to do in Trilogy, given the inbuilt cheats and how open and easy it is.

Resurrection is an odd one. I couldn't find any codes written by anyone else, and things that should work... don't. Found infinite laser ammo, but the exact same process didn't work on the shotgun. No luck finding out how to add weapons, which sucks, but I probably just need to use in game objects. Are there multiple laser rifles on level 2?

Extra Resurrection levels actually has me interested, since there's probably a way to get the game to load them.

Is level 7 particularly difficult? Never played it much, but a good 1800 pulse rifles rounds would probably help. Hate the water, though. Worst thing about 8 was the water.

Raycon
5 years ago#39
banana360 posted...
Just... Wow. You're on level 7 already? XD
Short one, too. Just underwater-ness. I swear it's dumb luck it you blow yourself up or not against aliens. >.>

I feel the same. Especially underwater. You get about one shot before they're too close. Going to be plenty of retries for this next one, I can tell, even for a short level...

razzle170286 posted...
At least going into Mess Hall Complex with all that Pulse ammo you can let of some steam and really give those Xeno's a good ass whopping. I love level 7 btw (when you have ammo, that is) I think it's tied for my favourite along with Christie's.

Same. For as frustrating as they might be, I just love the underwater sections. ^_^

Though level 7 is more of a sample. Christie's the one who ended up with the real underwater trials. Which I guess is somewhat ironic, considering he most likely drowned in the movie. >_>

Dark_Avarice posted...
Resurrection is an odd one. I couldn't find any codes written by anyone else, and things that should work... don't. Found infinite laser ammo, but the exact same process didn't work on the shotgun. No luck finding out how to add weapons, which sucks, but I probably just need to use in game objects. Are there multiple laser rifles on level 2?

Extra Resurrection levels actually has me interested, since there's probably a way to get the game to load them.

Is level 7 particularly difficult? Never played it much, but a good 1800 pulse rifles rounds would probably help. Hate the water, though. Worst thing about 8 was the water.

I only remember the one laser gun in level 2. Would be awesome though to have it for all levels. It would make short work of pretty much everything breathing. Which makes me wonder, how do the marines react to it? I don't think I've ever used it on them...

As for level 7, it's short, but brutal. It's like they're trying to compensate for it by throwing swarms of warriors at you. If you've got a nice stock pile, it's no sweat (the aforementioned 1800 rounds'll do...), but it's rough if you don't. The part at the end, waiting for the life to arrive was what got me my first run. I was down to nothing but grenade launcher ammo, and aliens just kept spawning at the door. Didn't even get close to seeing the lift. Had to restart.

= /

User Info: Nakrophile

Nakrophile
5 years ago#40
So that guy in level 4 or five, the one with the chestburster in him...you can keep him alive? What?
  1. Boards
  2. Alien Resurrection
  3. I've never seen a blue alien
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
It's lonely on the NostromoRaycon19811/12 2:48PM