• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation
  3. Steam version region locked?

User Info: CrimsonX4

CrimsonX4
2 months ago#1
Hey y’all I just learned this game was out on Steam in english! Took me long enough... That said I can find it easily when I search for it online, but whenever I go to download it my Steam launcher window opens and tells me it’s not available to my region. Is there any way to work around it?
I eat wizards.

User Info: Ad-vice

Ad-vice
2 months ago#2
The English Steam version is only for Asia (not Japan) so you need to use an Asian VPN (Hong Kong/Singapore works) to download/add the 35mb launcher to your library. After that you can turn off the VPN and use the launcher to download the rest of the game/update it and play on your own connection all you want. There are easy to follow guides out there which is the first step you should probably take on your own.

That's how it's supposed to work. However, tonight the game will go into maintenance and they are changing how the game updates. It will now update through Steam directly and nobody knows what this means for non-Asia players (and folder structure/mods). Worst case they add real region-protection and you will need a permanent/fast VPN to keep playing and it breaks mods. Best case, nothing changes.

User Info: chethecat

chethecat
2 months ago#3
Oh, I got on this morning and there was an update and everything went through just fine however they did it. They added the 7-day Island Tour event. As well as the Rival Festival.

So you should be okay if you do the VPN thing that Ad-vice mentioned.

~Cheshire~

Ad-vice
2 months ago#4
chethecat posted...
Oh, I got on this morning and there was an update and everything went through just fine however they did it. They added the 7-day Island Tour event. As well as the Rival Festival.

So you should be okay if you do the VPN thing that Ad-vice mentioned.
Yeah, we got the best case scenario of nothing breaking. I haven't seen any confirmed reports of a new player doing the VPN steps to get the game since the change(since it just happened), but it should probably still work.

User Info: chethecat

chethecat
2 months ago#5
Let's hope so since Region locking it was silly in the first place.

~Cheshire~

CrimsonX4
2 months ago#6
Thank you! I’ve heard of them before but I’ve never tried a vpn. Are there any good ones that any of you would recommended?
I eat wizards.

Ad-vice
2 months ago#7
CrimsonX4 posted...
Thank you! I’ve heard of them before but I’ve never tried a vpn. Are there any good ones that any of you would recommended?
I used a free one called Windscribe. You do have to log into Steam while it's up so you might want to take precautions if you use your main Steam account. Remember to completely close Steam before starting the VPN then click the SteamDB link for the VV launcher which should ask you to log into Steam to add it to your library.

CrimsonX4
1 month ago#8
@Ad-vice posted...
I used a free one called Windscribe. You do have to log into Steam while it's up so you might want to take precautions if you use your main Steam account. Remember to completely close Steam before starting the VPN then click the SteamDB link for the VV launcher which should ask you to log into Steam to add it to your library.
Your advice worked like a charm. Thank you very much! Now I’m going to start searching for guides.
I eat wizards.
  1. Boards
  2. Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation
  3. Steam version region locked?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A