Char's Counterattack; why is it so revered?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Gundam Versus
  3. Char's Counterattack; why is it so revered?

User Info: Zork_Wesker

Zork_Wesker
2 months ago#1
I know some people will whine about this topic not being specifically about the game but I wanted to start this discussion.

I had just watched CCA for the first time a month ago. Despite being a big Gundam fan since 99/00 and having watched everything I could, I had never seen it. Char's Counterattack always seemed to elude me or fly under my radar for whatever reason. I had just gotten on a fairly big kick of watching new stuff to me like Unicorn (Excellent) and Iron Blooded Orphans (Good) and started to buy up the Blu-ray sets of the shows I know I like such as 08th MS Team, Stardust Memory etc. Well I went and took the plunge and watched CCA and...

I developed a very mixed reaction to it that eventually leaned towards negative. I REALLY did not like that much at all. I hated the pacing, the writing (Char as a character was basically destroyed by this movie in my eyes), most of the new characters and the ridiculous love triangle plot between Quess, Ginyu or whatever the hell his name is and Hathaway. To me there was just so much wrong with this film in terms of writing and pacing and many things seemed to just fly in the face of previously established storylines, characterizations, and even motifs relating to Gundam as a whole. A lot of this movie reminded me a lot of the things I did not like about Double Zeta only exponentially worse.

I did however enjoy the animation and music, one of the few things I really liked, along with the mech design. Personally, I think this concept would've benefited much more from being an OVA/miniseries kind of thing like Stardust Memory or 08th MS team length instead of being a feature film. So many things happen so fast, and so many characters are introduced without us getting to properly know them or being allowed room for character development or story/lore progression.

I guess by the time I had finished it and mulled on it for a few days the biggest surprise to me was how much my own opinion on the film is drastically different from the overall reception it has. Do any of you have a similar opinion, or agree with some of my sentiments? If not, that's cool too. I just wanted to start a discussion.

User Info: Plant42

Plant42
2 months ago#2
I was rather underwhelmed by it. I just watched it back in September or early October myself. You are right about Char he seems drastically different from Zeta Char. They also wasted far too much time on those annoying brats. They could have developed that female Lando pilot and that female Zeon pilot and gave them a better rivalry but instead we got Quess and Hathaway which was a total waste of time. That older guy horndogging after Quess too. I didn’t even know he died until the credits started rolling. That scene was so abrupt. I was also pissed that Hathaway got away without any repercussions in the end.

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
2 months ago#3
Wait what? It's never been revered. It' s always been in horrible story, but good action/animation and blessing us with "Beyond the Time" territory.

I've never, and I've mean NEVER seen anyone praise the movie. Some parts of the movie, yeah, but never "it". When it's bought up it's usually for "pedo" Char, or bad characters like Hathoway or how dumb Chan died.

At best it's always just been decent to great for a SRW fodder series.
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Gundam Versus, Destiny 2, Warframe(PC), and Xcom Enemy Unknown.

Zork_Wesker
2 months ago#4
ValzacardX posted...
Wait what? It's never been revered. It' s always been in horrible story, but good action/animation and blessing us with "Beyond the Time" territory.

I've never, and I've mean NEVER seen anyone praise the movie. Some parts of the movie, yeah, but never "it". When it's bought up it's usually for "pedo" Char, or bad characters like Hathoway or how dumb Chan died.

At best it's always just been decent to great for a SRW fodder series.
SRW

Well I've searched around on the internet after watching it a few times just out of curiosity to see how it's viewed. For the most part according to several anime sites, movie/tv pages and stuff it has fairly high ratings and mostly positive reviews. Some people who've even wrote articles about Gundam and what the best shows are rank it as number 1...which blows my mind.

User Info: ValzacardX

ValzacardX
2 months ago#5
I don't know what to say then lol. The only thing I liked about that movie was

1. Amuro punching the s*** our Char/ Beam Saber effects
2. Finally seeing Nu Gundam in action, after only seeing it in games.
3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FzK_c9ziF8
GT:Kahlilx77 PSN:CBE_Rookie
Currently playing: Gundam Versus, Destiny 2, Warframe(PC), and Xcom Enemy Unknown.

User Info: SgtGalaxy

SgtGalaxy
2 months ago#6
I dont think CCA was ever super revered, maybe back in the days, because you know, it was the end of a era for people.

But nowadays, most people think its just OK.

Personally i think the same, with my main issue being, Quess and everyone involved with her, and the fact that, imo the story is fine, it just feels like i was thrown into half of it, and am missing the first half.

My Advice to you TC, is go read the Novels. Hi Streamer or Bel's Children, whichever one, both are more complete, better versions of the Movie.

Hi Streamer being what the movie is based on, and Bel's Children being the Original Plot Tomino wanted to do for the movie.

Either or, both are better.
this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big d*** or 2) a small d***, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
-Bokkin

User Info: Gatchan2

Gatchan2
2 months ago#7
Even the PS1 game of the same name was revered for its time lol
"Call of Duty Players aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers."
--- Infinity Ward's Mark Rubin

Zork_Wesker
2 months ago#8
SgtGalaxy posted...
Personally i think the same, with my main issue being, Quess and everyone involved with her, and the fact that, imo the story is fine, it just feels like i was thrown into half of it, and am missing the first half.

Yeah, I think it's from the simple fact that it was a movie. Not nearly enough time was given to flesh out these new characters and this new situation. I think if they introduced less new characters and focused more on the existing ones (Char/Amuro primarily) it would've worked better.

My Advice to you TC, is go read the Novels. Hi Streamer or Bel's Children, whichever one, both are more complete, better versions of the Movie.

Hi Streamer being what the movie is based on, and Bel's Children being the Original Plot Tomino wanted to do for the movie.

I may consider reading them, thanks.

User Info: SgtGalaxy

SgtGalaxy
2 months ago#9
Zork_Wesker posted...
SgtGalaxy posted...

Yeah, I think it's from the simple fact that it was a movie. Not nearly enough time was given to flesh out these new characters and this new situation. I think if they introduced less new characters and focused more on the existing ones (Char/Amuro primarily) it would've worked better.

I may consider reading them, thanks.

I think there is also manga adaptations running around for both of them, if that suits your fancy more.

But yea the movie was literally the second half of Hi Streamer made into a Movie, which is why it felt so...well half baked.
this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big d*** or 2) a small d***, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
-Bokkin

User Info: greeeed

greeeed
2 months ago#10
Plant42 posted...
I was rather underwhelmed by it. I just watched it back in September or early October myself. You are right about Char he seems drastically different from Zeta Char. They also wasted far too much time on those annoying brats. They could have developed that female Lando pilot and that female Zeon pilot and gave them a better rivalry but instead we got Quess and Hathaway which was a total waste of time. That older guy horndogging after Quess too. I didn’t even know he died until the credits started rolling. That scene was so abrupt. I was also pissed that Hathaway got away without any repercussions in the end.

If it make you happy, in original novel story, it Hathaway who kill Quess.

(SRV V main cast was confused because their Hathaway was the one who killed Quess, while the one in game was from the movie.

Another version where Hathaway didn't kill Chan at the end )
http://howdrawmanga.com
  1. Boards
  2. Gundam Versus
  3. Char's Counterattack; why is it so revered?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived