• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: igor140

igor140
2 weeks ago#1
or rather, "is mog any good?" thread

s/he's one of my favorite characters from FF6. it goes

celes >> terra > mog >>>>>> cyan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

i've seen people on here hype terra and garland... but what's the deal with mog? is he fun to use? what's his kit like?

FFBE: 229.361.850; 2000 hyoh, 1200/1350 malphasie, 1600 TT (SoT)

User Info: kaiserlord55

kaiserlord55
2 weeks ago#2
Hes uh... weird. His EX has tons of hits but only 1 HP dump, has water imperil but no enchant, and has two different follow ups based on number of debuffs on the party, which either cleanse two debuffs or has a chance of confusing the enemy. Theres a lot going on with his kit, but honestly its not very impressive. Like he'll have his niche like most characters, but hes surrounded by big names so there are others that are better picks.
Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

User Info: Asheron61

Asheron61
2 weeks ago#3
Instant pity for me, not gonna miss the dragoon moogle

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
2 weeks ago#4
Mog is, unfortunately, a dud. In terms of his skills he isn't too shabby but his EX and LD are somewhat bleh for the time that he is released. S1 is a standard-ish "bard" skill in that it's a couple of BRV hits with a buff that gives a solid party aura (Atk/MBrv) with a tiny -Spd aura as well. Think of it a bit like Freya's S1. S2 is where he sort of "comes to life" as it's a super weird/interesting skill that comes with a unique buff that gives him a self-water enchant (all of his skills are water so it's basically just +DMG), regens the party, and gives him a conditional follow up after every HP Atk. If a party member is debuffed he does a follow up that cleanses debuffs and if no one is he does a follow up that does a ST Confuse. Because of the low rate on Confuse you are left in the awkward position of him only really being that great against enemies that debuff yet at the same time characters that 100% block debuffs are better unless there is an orb condition that requires it. His EX, as mentioned, is super loose as it's an 8-Hit AoE that only happens one time. That means that you're basically guaranteed to hit cap, but that's all it will ever do. It comes with another set of solid party auras but in GL he is even worse than in JP because Balthier and Serah make his auras look like hot garbage by comparison. As in, he gives +10% overflow and +10% BRV DMG (in addition to his Atk/MBrv being lower, though that's from his S1 stuffs). That's it. For an aura-bot you could shove it into the "JP Serah" levels of unacceptable and in so many ways renders him usable only to the most hardcore of players post his event. His LD actually isn't too shabby at first glance: it's a 70% HP heal + 3x3-hit AoE + party battery attack that also buffs his S2 buff and the follow-ups. The problem is that it doesn't just buff his S2 buff, it *uses* his S2 buff. That means that where characters like Gladio or Squall get to be substantially powered up by a unique buff to their LD the difference between Mog having an LD versus none ends up being super subdued. Yeah his follow-ups get +1 hit, increased potency, etc. but is that really going to end up being *that* big in using him? The improved rate for Confuse means that you're much better off running him in non-debuff fights a bit better, but in so many ways it doesn't help the feeling that you're really just running Mog because you like the character and not because he is actually all that great in a fight where they aren't just spamming debuffs and cannot run a superior option on that front for some reason. And the fact that his LD is all "behind the scenes" really doesn't help the impression that it isn't just a heavy damage nuke + heal rather than something character defining.

In so many ways there are no unusable characters so if you want to use Mog you definitely can pull it off, but there is a reason that Mog just stopped being used after a single event as far as the JP meta was concerned: you can do better. They may have captured an excellent flavor with Mog, but that is just about it as far as Mog is concerned. Pull because of your love of Mog, not because you want to use him.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: Krio Lv3

Krio Lv3
2 weeks ago#5
Mainly because of what Ellis said, I'm geming her LD to hope for BT along the way, but solely because I have every other LD, I'll likely use Mogs Banner to pity BT, depending.
DFFOO: Kamuie! Friend Code: 206397272

User Info: Solarwind

Solarwind
2 weeks ago#6
Krio Lv3 posted...
Mainly because of what Ellis said, I'm geming her LD to hope for BT along the way, but solely because I have every other LD, I'll likely use Mogs Banner to pity BT, depending.
Personally I will go to pity on the initial LD banner. Might wait until near the end of the cycle to finish it out on the off chance that there is a free pull on any of the banners, plus daily single tickets. If I get the LD super early I will just token at cycle end. Deuce and Mog just do not hold any appeal for me.
...and his music was electric.
DFFOO ID: 454285321

User Info: Krio Lv3

Krio Lv3
2 weeks ago#7
Solarwind posted...
Personally I will go to pity on the initial LD banner. Might wait until near the end of the cycle to finish it out on the off chance that there is a free pull on any of the banners, plus daily single tickets. If I get the LD super early I will just token at cycle end. Deuce and Mog just do not hold any appeal for me.

I didn't even catch Deuce being there wow lol. I remember the initial hype for her back when Ace Ex came out and she was such a let down...
DFFOO: Kamuie! Friend Code: 206397272

User Info: p3pdrake

p3pdrake
2 weeks ago#8
Mog is (un)fortunately gonna be one of my easiest skips after they buffed Serah. Ive been needing to skip banners, and Wakka, Mog and Deuce seem to be the perfect banners to skip
DFFOO [GL]: 111555884 (Kuja support)

User Info: AuraBurqa

AuraBurqa
2 weeks ago#9
Unfortunately, Mog kind of falls into the category of "better call than a party member". You can bring him to a battle where the enemies debuff you and can use his call (twice) for cleanse if you are using a party without debuff cleanse/immunity. That's mostly it.
Opera Omnia ID [Aura]: 967686279 (60/60 G.Leo | MLB 15/35/EX/EX+)
[JP] Opera Omnia ID: 298249489 (70/70 Amidatelion | MLB 15/35/EX/LD/EX+)

User Info: unknownrpg

unknownrpg
2 weeks ago#10
Mog meta ez pity igor
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A