• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Opera Omnia
  3. I know this had probably been asked before...

User Info: CaligulaOwnz

CaligulaOwnz
4 weeks ago#1
...but is there a "best character" overall?

How about Damage, support, etc... how about recommend by shard color?

Thanks again!

User Info: Shattered_Hope

Shattered_Hope
4 weeks ago#2
Faris is meta.

In all seriousness, it's constantly fluctuating as new characters, EX, awakenings and reworks come out. Some characters are better in certain scenarios, boosted aside.

We are currently in launch meta, where supports, batteries and Layle werk together to annihilate almost anything. Something being resistant to launch throws a hard wrench into this setup.

Others that will work nicely with Layle include Deuce for buffs, battery and dps; Cait for very similar reasons, and of course queen Baetrix.
The brightest light casts the longest shadow...

User Info: AuraBurqa

AuraBurqa
4 weeks ago#3
Right now the best in each category:

Support - Cait Sith & Deuce
Damage - Beatrix
Launcher - Layle

The meta revolves around those 4 right now, with Rem, Selphie and Setzer being high-tier as well.
Opera Omnia ID [Aura]: 967686279 (60/60 Y'shtola | MLB 15/35/EX)
[JP] Opera Omnia ID: 298249489 (70/70 Ultimecia | MLB 15/35/EX/EX+)

User Info: str0

str0
4 weeks ago#4
Right now he isn't particularly good but Cloud is a good investment. With his rework he becomes really good. He will also be one of the first to get an EX+, so he is always gonna be relevent.
3DS FC: 3926-4738-1568 | IGN: Frank
Shiny List: http://tinyurl.com/mkf3l7s

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
4 weeks ago#5
Layle is definitely the most defining character right now in terms of the overall meta. That said, Beatrix has consistently been in more top teams than any other character since her inception. Cait has mostly been the same, but with this most recent one being very anti-physical he has had to sit this one out.

AuraBurqa posted...
Rem

Have people actually been using her for high end stuffs? I mean, with her EX she definitely has the power to be used, but she uses up so many turns right now that I feel like it would be hard to really get a full scoring with her (beating the stage itself, however, would be completely trivial).

str0 posted...
Right now he isn't particularly good but Cloud is a good investment. With his rework he becomes really good. He will also be one of the first to get an EX+, so he is always gonna be relevent.

Not to be mean to you or anything but people need to stop pushing units that are "going to be good later." Literally only the meme units won't be and "investing" in this game is a terrible idea as whenever a unit becomes good in the future they come with a dramatically better banner alongside it (with the exception of Noctis). It's a *far* superior idea to just ignore units that will be good in the future until they actually *are* better. Kuja is the perfect example as he has done all of jack all outside of his first three/four weeks of getting put into the game and when he finally does get better in the near future it will be 100% off of his EX. And anyone who "invested" into him early on will basically be punished as all of their early investing will just translate into a ton of 15/35CP weapons that they no longer have any use in while trying for his EX (ignoring statistically unlikely early EX pulls).

"Investing" is a terrible idea. People need to stop recommending it.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: AuraBurqa

AuraBurqa
4 weeks ago#6
ellis123 posted...
Have people actually been using her for high end stuffs? I mean, with her EX she definitely has the power to be used, but she uses up so many turns right now that I feel like it would be hard to really get a full scoring with her (beating the stage itself, however, would be completely trivial).

I, and a lot of other people, have used her to complete Deuce's EX stage (including the 160k limited-time mission requirement). The turns thing is not much of any issue anymore with Rem thanks to her quick charging EX.
Opera Omnia ID [Aura]: 967686279 (60/60 Y'shtola | MLB 15/35/EX)
[JP] Opera Omnia ID: 298249489 (70/70 Ultimecia | MLB 15/35/EX/EX+)

User Info: Krentaris

Krentaris
4 weeks ago#7
I do somewhat agree with ellis' view. I view future investment as a 'bonus'. I pulled for Noctis because I saw he was fun to play with his turn stealing. I pulled WoL's EX incidentally while chasing for extra Cait Sith limit breaks. And, I pulled Cloud because he was the first EX weapon, was very powerful for quite some time and because I like FFVII.The fact that they become strong later on is just icing on the cake, and when they do they get a banner rerun anyway.

I'll aim for Kuja because I like him, and because he's useful for a while, and I'll do the same for Agrias. (For Kuja, I'll 100% be punished for MLBing him when I got his 35CP, but he was so good for me getting back into the game before Squall got awakened, I regret nothing) It's only the big ones like Quistis that I'll go all in for. Generally speaking, whenever units are buffed, their weapons are featured again on a better banner than they came on the first time. Whether it's that they get their EX for the first time, or whether it's because the banner has multiple EXs. There's always something better to aim for, so I would say either pull for favourites, or pull for what has the longest relevancy in the medium term.

Anyway, to answer the OP.

There is no single 'best character' because they do different things, and a character's usefulness can depend on the nature of the content. Although, there are generally best-in-class characters, and characters that fit into a wide variety of different lineups because they contribute so much. This also shifts a lot over time because of powercreep and reworks.

Right now I would say the overall best are:

Cait Sith - buffs, battery, party support, semi-DPS

Beatrix - DPS, aura buffs, situational battery

Layle - launching (great for score & dumps battery), turn delay, damage, spd debuff

Setzer - low ability uses but high utility: Freeze Joker prevents enemies from gaining any BRV for 2 turns which renders them essentially useless, great for preventing any hard hitting BRV/HP attacks

Deuce - buffs (especially for magic users), party aura, consistent battery, semi-DPS (strong dmg if 2 or more enemies present)

A bit lower down the list would be e.g. Rem, Selphie, Vaan and Kain with Celes, Faris etc as situational picks.

In the near future Agrias will be great for a short time as a DPS/utility/semi-support then decent for a while.

I'm not sure where Lightning EX, 60/60 Lilisette, Eiko or Tifa EX fit into the equation though. Quistis/Kuja will be the big ones then Rinoa will just destroy everything.
"Perfectionism becomes desirable when it stimulates the healthy pursuit of excellence."

User Info: Shattered_Hope

Shattered_Hope
4 weeks ago#8
ellis123 posted...
"Investing" is a terrible idea. People need to stop recommending it.

Eh, I appreciate people's recommendations on who to look for with upcoming content. As a lot of the rewards get harder to obtain, they also eventually become more essential as they will help create EX+, I'd like to know who I will get the most bang for my pulls with.

At the same time, there's no guarantee that the units that dominated jp meta won't get pushed back, like Layle and the resulting launch meta. Really hoping Quistis doesn't suffer a similar fate. Glasses waifu ftw, and her power is definitely an incentive.

I'm going to have a hard time following the exact ideal pulls, especially if lightning's costume releases with her ex, hoping to have at least 200 tix for her. I'll at least have enough to pity pull Quistis and Rinoa, but I'll prolly opt for Lenna and maybe Ashe over Kuja, Golbez and Vayne. Hopefully enough left over for Ultimicia.

Which makes me wonder, is it Ulti-mee-see-uh, or Ulti-mee-sh'uh?
The brightest light casts the longest shadow...

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
4 weeks ago#9
AuraBurqa posted...
ellis123 posted...

I, and a lot of other people, have used her to complete Deuce's EX stage (including the 160k limited-time mission requirement). The turns thing is not much of any issue anymore with Rem thanks to her quick charging EX.

I see. I haven't really been paying attention to the EX topic (I rarely do) so I hadn't realized that people had been running her there. I've definitely liked using her with her EX, but the only time I've really run her against anything "high end" was bugged knights. Where the score itself was utterly irrelevant and all that really mattered was the ability to never run out of skills and doing stuff in AoE (and her EX is definitely an utterly redonculous skill for both).

Krentaris posted...
I do somewhat agree with ellis' view. I view future investment as a 'bonus'. I pulled for Noctis because I saw he was fun to play with his turn stealing. I pulled WoL's EX incidentally while chasing for extra Cait Sith limit breaks. And, I pulled Cloud because he was the first EX weapon, was very powerful for quite some time and because I like FFVII.The fact that they become strong later on is just icing on the cake, and when they do they get a banner rerun anyway.

I'll aim for Kuja because I like him, and because he's useful for a while, and I'll do the same for Agrias. (For Kuja, I'll 100% be punished for MLBing him when I got his 35CP, but he was so good for me getting back into the game before Squall got awakened, I regret nothing) It's only the big ones like Quistis that I'll go all in for. Generally speaking, whenever units are buffed, their weapons are featured again on a better banner than they came on the first time. Whether it's that they get their EX for the first time, or whether it's because the banner has multiple EXs. There's always something better to aim for, so I would say either pull for favourites, or pull for what has the longest relevancy in the medium term.

Exactly. Pulling for a unit because you like them or because you plan on using them is perfectly fine, but if you're only pulling on them because they will eventually be good is just a recipe for disaster. The game gives you plenty of resources to pull so it's not a complete waste, but really you shouldn't just toss out all of your resources just because it's possible to make pulls later anyways. I feel that a lot of people will get tripped up on later banners because of these "investment" pulls and it will really be at its worst when we get multi-EX banners that include a "must have" new EX + an EX for a character that just got bumped into the meta through a rework. If you ran all your resources on the latter it'll be exceedingly awkward to keep getting it when you're only after the former in the same way that 15/35CP's will be for the super early investment pulls for various characters that weren't all that good until their EX.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: erson

erson
4 weeks ago#10
This question’s probably been asked before. Sorry very new to the game. But how to get past lv50?
ErSoN
"Never underestimate the power of the queen with lovely hair, my dear." - Ferdinand Lyle, Penny Dreadful
  1. Boards
  2. Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Opera Omnia
  3. I know this had probably been asked before...
  • Topic Archived