Recent purchase

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. RPG Maker Fes
  3. Recent purchase

User Info: Poof2daddy

Poof2daddy
9 months ago#1
I purchased this game a few days ago and will get it next week. Any thoughts about the game? Just a quick summary of how it is and what you recommend working on.
Eagles and Mariners all the way, everything i post is IMO

User Info: ShotoJunkie

ShotoJunkie
9 months ago#2
Get ready for a sharp learning curve. This game is really cool but you're gonna have to learn how to do everything. Get the free DLC right away- it's good.
A lot of it is trial and error- if at first you don't succeed, try again, and again....
You cannot change how much EXP your characters level up by, so I coordinated all the combat from there.
You will have fun once you get going on that first map!
Good luck!

User Info: Lord_Ball

Lord_Ball
9 months ago#3
It's a fairly powerful tool set, but one thing to consider before you start making you're first game is the limitations, such as you cannot run multiple events at the same time.

Also I would start with something on a smaller scale to "get your feet wet" before taking on the grand adventure you want to make. That way you can learn the tricks you need to make it as best as possible.

Balancing things is probably one of the hardest things to get right, as it's easy to get caught in forcing players to grind heavily or having the enemies pose absolutely no threat, this is especially true early on.
Fes Creator ID: 31967

User Info: Knavish

Knavish
9 months ago#4
Just like the PC versions of RPG Maker, as soon as you launch into FES there is no tutorials. Your main goal, once you load it up, is to experiment - 'get your feet wet', as Lord_Ball said.

There are limitations, for example item and map limits (64 and 99 respectively) but you can get around these with a bit of careful thinking.

ShotoJunkie mentions that you cannot change the amount of experience that your characters level up by. This is not entirely true - yes, you can't set a strict number but you can choose growth speeds which affect the experience levels. For example, a character with a slow growth speed will need a lot more experience to level up, while a fast growth speed will mean you will level up much quicker.

Also, the game only comes with the Fantasy theme. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing (there's a lot to choose from) if the game you wanted to make is a horror or sci-fi game, you'll need to pay a little extra (the free DLC's ShotoJunkie mentions are Modern, Sci-Fi, and Sengoku (Japanese), and you can get more for each of those themes with a little bit of cash).

The most important thing to remember, at least in my mind, is to never give up. As with any game, you will fail, and fail often. But, the more you stride to fix and continue the project, the more you'll get into completing it the way you want it.

Have fun, good luck, and if you ever need help, there's multiple places to ask, including here.

User Info: ShotoJunkie

ShotoJunkie
9 months ago#5
Yeah, thanks for correcting me-
You can set growth levels- I just don't alter that! lol
Balancing enemy strength with party strength can be tough. but the rewarding feeling for getting it just right is worth it.

User Info: Poof2daddy

Poof2daddy
9 months ago#6
Thanks for the support I will find the motivation to make a gamer. Once I'm invested I tend to commmit. I hope I can keep it up and thanks again guys I appreciate the feedback.
Eagles and Mariners all the way, everything i post is IMO

User Info: mirage_004

mirage_004
9 months ago#7
ShotoJunkie posted...
Get ready for a sharp learning curve. This game is really cool but you're gonna have to learn how to do everything. Get the free DLC right away- it's good.
A lot of it is trial and error- if at first you don't succeed, try again, and again....
You cannot change how much EXP your characters level up by, so I coordinated all the combat from there.
You will have fun once you get going on that first map!
Good luck!

What is the DLC?

I bought this game back in June when it came out but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've only played RPG Maker "1" on PS1 and a little RPG Maker "2" on PS2.
Need a new signature here.

User Info: poetik26

poetik26
9 months ago#8
dlc is for non-fantasy sets mostly.

free: scifi, modern, sengoku era. and more characters.

paid: free ones at night, horror, and a few for unique stuff like Disgaea chars.
rpgmakerfes - Poetik (Blades of Destiny, Seven Remain)
  1. Boards
  2. RPG Maker Fes
  3. Recent purchase

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived