So is Classic Sonic NOT the same from Sonic Generations.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sonic Forces
  3. So is Classic Sonic NOT the same from Sonic Generations.

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
3 months ago#31
It was a younger Sonic, but after seeing how garbage Sonic Boom and Lost World was, he travelled to an alternate dimension to escape ever being seen in another Sonic 3D game again.

Poor sod still got dragged back in anyway.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: Kingdom080500

Kingdom080500
3 months ago#32
KamenRiderGekko posted...
Or you all are just forgetting that the word "dimension" is a measurement of things and "dimension of time" is a thing.

It's Sonic from the past again.

So everyone's just going to ignore this post that actually makes sense? ookay..
"A delayed game will eventually be good, while a rushed game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto.

User Info: Cherrys2000

Cherrys2000
3 months ago#33
Kingdom080500 posted...
Or you all are just forgetting that the word "dimension" is a measurement of things and "dimension of time" is a thing.

Well, since space is also a dimension, I guess Classic Sonic could also just be a guy that looks like Sonic and lives on the east side, and the Phantom Ruby's powers are just equivalent to a bus trip.

User Info: Totoro

Totoro
3 months ago#34
I like the alt Sonic theory better because look at how Classic Sonic looks compared to Modern Sonic.
I love My Neighbor Totoro, Okami, and Sonic.
Official Motobug of the Greenhill zone.

User Info: RubyRaze

RubyRaze
3 months ago#35
Brettsky128 posted...
Remember: everything is canon.

When everything is canon, nothing is.
A thing is here.
http://www.youtube.com/c/RubyElaree722

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
3 months ago#36
Kingdom080500 posted...

That's not how anyone uses the word 'dimension' in that context.
Gregg rulz OK

User Info: Alphrin

Alphrin
3 months ago#37
Secuperp posted...
Alphrin posted...
Cherrys2000 posted...
Hypnofeet posted...
AssasinStar00 posted...
Hypnofeet posted...
DiogenesKC posted...
same guy. sonic team retconned it so classic sonic is from another dimension. it's dumb.

Source?

Watch the cutscenes between the two games and see for yourself (sigh)

Um... That's not how it works. Classic Sonic from Generations is Sonic from the Past. Classic Sonic from Forces is Sonic from a different dimension. It still doesn't make sense without clarity.

It's a retcon. There's nothing else to it.

Contradiction =/= retcon

I hate how writers nowadays can blatantly contradict themselves and people just say "it's a retcon", like that justifies it somehow. That doesn't even make any sense! Retcons are supposed to be new revelations that change how we interpret old facts, not new facts that completely contradict old facts! Gah!

Retcons come in many forms. The one you cited is one of them. There is also the form of retcons that introduces new information, which contradicts, thus voids, old information. For instance, the Draenei in World of Warcraft Burning Crusade. Something like in WC3 it said the Draenei corrupted Sargeras, but then they retconned it to be the other way around, Sargeras/Dreadlords corrupted the Draenei.

Ben 10 being retconned by the next series.

However, it must be usually stated or clearly shown as such, often by pushing the story in a direction, contradicting yourself does not a retcon make, as you say.

But yes, retcons are annoying, for the most part.

I don't accept contradictions as anything other than lazy writing. The term "retcon" comes from the words "retroactive continuity", the key word being "continuity". These contradictions are better described as "retroactive discontinuity", because they are discontinuous with previous parts of the story.

Like, take Star Wars, for example. It retcons Vader's identity in ESB, thus rendering void Obi Wan's statement in ANH that he killed Anakin. But then RotJ explains that Obi Wan was bending the truth to hide Vader's true identity from Luke. The continuity between ANH, ESB, and RotJ remains intact.

Yet imagine if instead everyone in RotJ acted like Obi Wan had never said that Vader killed Anakin. That would contradict what we saw in ANH. It would be discontinuous with the events of ANH.

User Info: Chaos-15

Chaos-15
3 months ago#38
Still a retcon. Just a s***ty nonsensical one.
Accept Madoka as your new God.

User Info: Gamechamp3k

Gamechamp3k
3 months ago#39
It's a retcon, and I feel it's very much a good decision: Classic Sonic being Sonic's past self only makes sense from the perspective of the audience: it's literally Sonic's past self from our real world where Sonic is just a character whose identity can be altered on a whim. But in-universe, they don't have the same body shape, and both, while not explicitly aged in-game, are meant to be teenage-ish. That Classic Sonic "grows up" to gain the ability to talk and rewrite his skeletal structure all the while not even actually aging doesn't make much sense. It's even more jarring for Eggman, who's already a fully grown adult and thus the aging excuse can't even be argued for. It didn't matter for Generations, since that was a random what-if anniversary special not meant to fit into canon, but they threw the idea of Generations being a one-off out the window when making Forces.

The world of the Classic Sonic games also doesn't fit with the world seen in most modern games, having Sonic dwell on an island with lots of normal animal critters, whereas in the modern games he's generally in some kind of modern metropolis.
http://i.imgur.com/ES0IWHz.jpg
Kuro-channnnnnn... <3

User Info: edward18

edward18
3 months ago#40
Considering the cities displayed in the original games.

It was just an art change, nothing more.
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
  1. Boards
  2. Sonic Forces
  3. So is Classic Sonic NOT the same from Sonic Generations.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived