• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong 64
  3. Worst Control and Camera

User Info: Manic_Prime

Manic_Prime
3 years ago#1
This game has, without a doubt, the worst controls and camera system in any platformer I've played. Not only does the camera fight you every step of the way from having a view of where you're going (which is a definite disadvantage for those annoyingly narrow and time sensitive platforms) the characters control like they;re drunk out of their minds and simply CANNOT move in a straight line, particularly on those annoyingly narrow and time sensitive platforms.

And no, it's not because I'm bad at the game or any other BS, when I push the stick forward to make the Kongs walk in a straight line and they lope from side to side and fall off narrow ledges because the camera absolutely REFUSES to let you center everything, it's just poor game design.

In general areas, where precision isn't absolutely necessary, it's not a bad game at all. It's just too bad Rare had to screw up two of the most important elements of the game.

User Info: kikoken

kikoken
3 years ago#2
This is why they went back 2d lol
You cannot measure a person's strength by their honor...

Manic_Prime
3 years ago#3
Well, it's not all down to 3D vs. 2D, it's poor design. If you're going to include narrow winding paths where falling off either forces you to begin again (sends you plummeting to certain death) or fall into something which will cause you to lose health, logic says you don't program characters to move like they are perpetually drunk and can't walk in a straight line. It doesn't help that the camera will force you into inane angle which, in turn, change the orientation of the controls. There's no two ways about it, very poor design.

I am certainly not looking to go for 101% the game, or even complete the bloody thing. All I'm really interested in is unlocking the original Donkey Kong, though Rare managed to make even that a tedious chore.

User Info: Superlnfinity45

Superlnfinity45
3 years ago#4
Not at all, totally nonsense. The camera in this game is great and it's a joy to control. I suggest you run along OP if you don't like this game and try to find a game that you do like. Nobody here wants you to play a game you don't want to play and you have no legitimate reason for being on this board if you don't want to play the game, it's that simple.
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin

Manic_Prime
3 years ago#5
No, the camera is not "great" and it is most certainly not a "joy" to control. But, hey, we can agree to disagree on that. Perhaps I should clarify that the version I am playing is the Wii U Virtual Player version* and the C buttons are all mapped to a single stick, though that has absolutely nothing to do with tag barrels blocking your view in tight spaces when trying to jump onto a moving platform, nor does it have anything to do with the characters continuing to move forward for a step or two after landing when jumping onto platforms.

For example, when Chunky is on the rotating platform in Frantic Factory, why does the camera revolve around him instead of staying the perspective when you jumped onto the platform while pressing the button to put the camera behind him only does so momentarily? Heaven knows there are far too many areas were the camera forces itself into absurd positions while you are moving which changes the controls for that new perspective.

Furthermore, I suggest you actually read my previous post where you will see that my interest is in unlocking the original Donkey Kong game. I'm not sure if you're aware, but Donkey Kong 64 is currently the only way to play it on Virtual Console. The NES Donkey Kong game, which is available on Virtual Console, is not an exact port of the original arcade game, the game included in Donkey Kong 64 is.

I may not have any interest in finishing the game, but consider this... if I didn't want to actually play the game, would I bother spending several hours at a time PLAYING the game? Just because I think the camera and control are terrible does not being I think the game, as a whole, is garbage. I am simply not going to bother finishing the optional activities which, due to said controls and/or camera are the most frustrating. Your trolling, on the other hand, has no legitimate reason on this board or, for that matter, in this topic.

*I have owned the Nintendo 64 game since release, but I would rather not mess with switching out cables and plugs just for a single game, regardless of whether the controls may be marginally better on the native controller.

User Info: Superlnfinity45

Superlnfinity45
3 years ago#6
Nope, you're wrong in all ways.

I'd explain why but since you're being so rude and trolling for a response I think I won't. Look at how over the top and hyperbolic your posts are, what's the point in writing stuff like that? Of course the camera systems of early 3D games aren't ideal.
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin

User Info: Rachenar

Rachenar
3 years ago#7
I kind of get where you're coming from. Case in point, the 3rd boss battle. It's a super platform-heavy fight where you're supposed to jump & hover to platforms that have a poundable switch. But you have to jump to the correct colored platform, except you can't move the camera so you're blindly jumping and hovering all over the place. The stiff controls and wonky camera definitely cost me more lives than I'd like, and I'm only at the 4th level. The game does move smoother after a little practice, however, but expect plenty of cheap fails along the way.
Sadly, lack of inspiration accounts for 99% of all uninspired sigs.

Manic_Prime
3 years ago#8
Indeed.

With the Tiny Kong battle, it can be a bit annoying because not only do you have to do the jump and and hover stuff (which I ultimately just said "forget it" on the stupid ones in Frantic Factory) but you have the jack in the box right on your tail so you really have no time to set up a good jump which results in falling down and having to start the chain over again.

Granted, it could be due to an imperfect conversion to Virtual Console combined with the pro controller having to compromise a bit with N64 controls.

While not a control critique, I've played through enough of DK64 to be really sick of the constant use of belching, which seems to be common in the Rare games I've played, along with the cacophony of farting present in Conker's Bad Fur Day.

User Info: HHH is the game

HHH is the game
3 years ago#9
Yeah the controls are awful. Freaky Factory was hell in the generator room thing and I just did that Chunky Kong part today also! Yes that was horrible.

Honestly the game is great as long as it doesnt have platforming, but the platforming sections are terrible. That whole room with the Chunky Kong revolving platform you have to do so much stuff with all the Kongs, and none of it was fun.
Shelton undoubtedly wants Cena's championship belt. And Cena undoubtedly wants Shelton's black heritage.- looseiver

User Info: GothamsSavior

GothamsSavior
3 years ago#10
I'm okay with the controls. The camera is damned awful, though.
"The Savior Gotham deserves, with Balls of Steel!"~WiiIsTheChamp
People tell me I'm sweet and nice. Apparently nobody I know reads Batman. ^_~
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong 64
  3. Worst Control and Camera
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers