You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. am i the only one bothered by these things?

User Info: boggieman

boggieman
4 weeks ago#21
SSJKaioShin posted...
Spider-Man has always told corny jokes from his inception. Their not supposed to be funny it's a way to keep him calm by constantly talking and a way to through his opponents off balance. What could they have done to make him seem smarter to you? He invented all of his gadgets, his suit is the most advanced Spider suit outside of the Stark made MCU suit that I've ever seen, and they actually devote time showing him in the lab being a valuable asset to Octavius.

I think Peter in this game was the best I've ever seen Peter portrayed in any media. If you want to see a dumb, corny, Spider-Man watch the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

again when everything he says is stupid , untrue and irrational that makes him stupid i'm sorry not matter how long of a backstory you right saying he did this and that its not gonna take away the impression you get when you hear him talk; how they could of made him look smarter? by not making him saying stupid untrue irrational things and not making him look like an idiot every time he spoke. i dare you to quote one thing that it isn't science related that was not stupid.

boggieman
4 weeks ago#22
TheAntiZealot posted...
CSCA33 posted...
You said he didn’t come across as a genius; what I put forth were things from the game that make him come across as a genius in his own right, so unless you were just trying to be sarcastic...

I tried, and obviously failed, to draw a distinction between what is said about a given character versus what is performed on screen, by that same character.

For example, in some movies a character trains on screen, like Batmam Begins. Whereas in other movies, the character trains off screen and the audience is given a line such as "I have climbed mountains and learned from the monks, now I can defeat you."

It would be like the difference between Goku training in the gravity chamber across 10 episodes versus it occuring in a single line given by Krillin.

My point was that I agreed with TC in suggesting that Peter Parker, in this game, performed no genius-level feats. He merely was ascribed a laundry list of accomplishments. Granted: this game is more expositional, in that regard, than most because of the Doc Ock lab and the childish mini-games.

An example of a character that sometimes displays their genius on screen might be Sherlock Holmes or L from Kira. We are given a puzzle that even we cannot solve easily and the character manages to show us how it is done.

being smart is a quality its not an action , so making training an example isn't accurate,
lets take for example strong, what if you've been told batman is very strong and that he defeated lot of very strong villains then you see him get beat by every f***ing person he meet , is that gonna make you think he is strong? or does it gonna come as confusing.

User Info: SSJKaioShin

SSJKaioShin
3 weeks ago#23
boggieman posted...
SSJKaioShin posted...
Spider-Man has always told corny jokes from his inception. Their not supposed to be funny it's a way to keep him calm by constantly talking and a way to through his opponents off balance. What could they have done to make him seem smarter to you? He invented all of his gadgets, his suit is the most advanced Spider suit outside of the Stark made MCU suit that I've ever seen, and they actually devote time showing him in the lab being a valuable asset to Octavius.

I think Peter in this game was the best I've ever seen Peter portrayed in any media. If you want to see a dumb, corny, Spider-Man watch the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

again when everything he says is stupid , untrue and irrational that makes him stupid i'm sorry not matter how long of a backstory you right saying he did this and that its not gonna take away the impression you get when you hear him talk; how they could of made him look smarter? by not making him saying stupid untrue irrational things and not making him look like an idiot every time he spoke. i dare you to quote one thing that it isn't science related that was not stupid.

Smart people don’t always talk smart. I could probably post literally hundreds of comic pages of Spider-Man making the same or worse corny jokes in the comics. To use your Batman example from an earlier post Peter was only outsmarted like 3 times in the whole game? Both Felicia and her dad played him and Sable slipped a tracking device on him and both of those are from DLCs. I can’t think of a time when Peter got outsmarted in the main game.

I feel like you don’t get Spider-Man like I said earlier he’s not trying to make good jokes he’s just talking to talk. How he is in this game is how he’s supposed to be.
Never argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

boggieman
3 weeks ago#24
SSJKaioShin posted...
boggieman posted...
SSJKaioShin posted...

Smart people don’t always talk smart. I could probably post literally hundreds of comic pages of Spider-Man making the same or worse corny jokes in the comics. To use your Batman example from an earlier post Peter was only outsmarted like 3 times in the whole game? Both Felicia and her dad played him and Sable slipped a tracking device on him and both of those are from DLCs. I can’t think of a time when Peter got outsmarted in the main game.

I feel like you don’t get Spider-Man like I said earlier he’s not trying to make good jokes he’s just talking to talk. How he is in this game is how he’s supposed to be.

i don't know what you mean by talk smart , i simply mean not say stupid irrational things , i don't know why is that so hard to make a character say , and no smart people rarely say stupid irrational things at least not today; all i said here was that bothered me that everything he says is either stupid irrrational or simply not true i said nothing about him always saying smart things nor did i say the jokes were bad , when i said i expect him to make smart joke, i mean that "its a joke" is not an excuse to make say something stupid, and in the game he was outsmarted by doctor octavious and felecia.
now with that out of the way please show me couple things that spiderman said that was stupid or irrational either in the spectacular spiderman, 1995 animated series, spiderman home comming , the toby triology or even the comics that were made before the creation of miles morales ,
just at the top of my head i can think of smart thing spiderman said for example a villain(forgot his name) said to him "come here and fight like a man"(reffering to spiderman hanging in the roof" , and spiderman said "why don't you come here and fight me like a spider" , or when he goes to criminals suprises them and says "who am I" , because everytime they see him they say "Spiderman", I grew up with spiderman being very smart , and it bothered me how dumbed down his character was in the games , i prefer a spiderman that gets his gadget from tony yet doesn't say stupid s*** than a spiderman that makes his gadget yet everything non science related he says is stupid irrational or not true

User Info: CSCA33

CSCA33
3 weeks ago#25
He didn’t say anything stupid or irrational in your example though, and I pointed out how your example was wrong. Watch the video of the fight if you don’t remember and it is Shocker who destroys the pillars, hence the pun. You’re argument is with the quality of the pun, not that it doesn’t make sense.

boggieman
3 weeks ago#26
CSCA33 posted...
He didn’t say anything stupid or irrational in your example though, and I pointed out how your example was wrong. Watch the video of the fight if you don’t remember and it is Shocker who destroys the pillars, hence the pun. You’re argument is with the quality of the pun, not that it doesn’t make sense.

its stupid to for spiderman to say drugs deals are one of his most disliked activities , selling deals between criminals hurts no one , and responded that spiderman went out of his way to drop in on him , it was spiderman not shocker , so problem with pun being not accurate not being good or not , make the shocker hit the bases of the pillars then make the pun and i'll have no problem, i played the game 9 time i remembered very well ,
when spiderman saved miles he told him leave the fighting to the pros , that's stupid he was defending him self , he said "we can't have people stealing garbage" as if they close up the place to protect the garbage it self , after he defeats king ben everything that's not science related is stupid and irrational.
please next time don't say something i already answered to before so we can save time.

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
3 weeks ago#27
boggieman posted...
you are ignoring the main point , are you telling me if everytime you speak to someone they say something that isn't true, irrational and not smart they're not supposed to come across as stupid?
and no if spiderman was letting the shocker hit the pillars it would be vallied, but he went out of his way to drop it on him , he did it not shocker ,
just compare how miles talks to how spiderman talks , every conversation between the two spiderman is just mumbling and don't know what to say,
and the guy was saying, it was told that he is smart not shown , this is imaginary story not a real one , telling me he did this and that and giving me stupid puzzles doesn't show me how smart he is , i need to see it , show don't tell.

I guess, then, that I would have to disagree.

I mean, you're correct in saying that I missed your main point.

I don't feel that anything Peter said was stupid or irrational enough to come across as though he were not a genius.
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65

User Info: TheFitnessGuru

TheFitnessGuru
3 weeks ago#28
TheAntiZealot posted...
<blocquote>

I don't feel that anything Peter said was stupid or irrational enough to come across as though he were not a genius.

I have to agree with you. I don't understand these seemingly sophisticated criticisms of esoteric things like Pete/Spidey not seeming smart enough. I have been reading Spider-Man comics since I was a kid, and nobody complained about stuff like this. Its bizarrely picky, in fact, when you criticize comic book characters, created by comic writers and artists, for not being scientific or smart enough.

While I definitely disagree with some storyline choices INSOMNIAC went with, Spidey/Pete, in this game, is about as smart as he has been in all his comic books. His jokes are not meant to be Robin Williams quality. He is a smart as, wise-cracking teen and older adult, depending on the era.

Moreover, its absurd to be this critical of him seeming smart. Its a comic book, for God's Sake, not Shakespeare. Does this guy think that Stan Lee and Steve Ditko hired NASA end Cal Tech physicists and chemists to concoct theories and science to back up all of Pete's ideas and gadgets?

lol Its a freaking comic book.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

boggieman
3 weeks ago#29
TheFitnessGuru posted...
TheAntiZealot posted...
<blocquote>

I have to agree with you. I don't understand these seemingly sophisticated criticisms of esoteric things like Pete/Spidey not seeming smart enough. I have been reading Spider-Man comics since I was a kid, and nobody complained about stuff like this. Its bizarrely picky, in fact, when you criticize comic book characters, created by comic writers and artists, for not being scientific or smart enough.

While I definitely disagree with some storyline choices INSOMNIAC went with, Spidey/Pete, in this game, is about as smart as he has been in all his comic books. His jokes are not meant to be Robin Williams quality. He is a smart as, wise-cracking teen and older adult, depending on the era.

Moreover, its absurd to be this critical of him seeming smart. Its a comic book, for God's Sake, not Shakespeare. Does this guy think that Stan Lee and Steve Ditko hired NASA end Cal Tech physicists and chemists to concoct theories and science to back up all of Pete's ideas and gadgets?

lol Its a freaking comic book.

oh what's that ? you don't like the fact that a smart character is saying too many stupid , irrational untrue things? geese what is this sophisticated criticisms of esoteric things , its a comic character its not shakespare its okay if its so dumb and idiotic in 99% of anything that comes out of his mouth .
i guess people who made the lines for spiderman in this game share your iq .
This is one of the dumbest threads I’ve ever read. It’s very stupid for such small things to bother you so.
The sun doesn't give its light to the moon assuming the moon is going to owe it one - Linkin Park
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. am i the only one bothered by these things?