You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. am i the only one bothered by these things?

User Info: boggieman

boggieman
1 month ago#1
Hi so i'm a big fan of spiderman mainly because he is very smart and makes smart jokes
so it really bothers me how he is portrayed in the game as not very smart , specially his so called jokes or the line he says that are bit stupid like when he says "you brought this on you shocker..litrally" that wasn't true spiderman was the one who made it fall on him , or where he says "i guess we don't want people stealing grabage" or where he says "drugs are my most disliked activities" i mean i know drugs deals are not the nicest but spiderman saves people he is not a police officer ,
and i was just wondering if i'm the only one bothered by these

User Info: thegreatwumbo

thegreatwumbo
1 month ago#2
I don't know what you mean about him not being that smart. He is portrayed as a genius in this game who can quickly build high tech suits and knows how to isolate chemicals.

As for the jokes, Spider-Man has made corny jokes since his creation.
Some people move on, but not us...not us.

boggieman
1 month ago#3
thegreatwumbo posted...
I don't know what you mean about him not being that smart. He is portrayed as a genius in this game who can quickly build high tech suits and knows how to isolate chemicals.

he is protrayed as nerdy not smart , corny is not the problem , the problem they are either no true or irrational

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
1 month ago#4
boggieman posted...
he is protrayed as nerdy not smart , corny is not the problem , the problem they are either no true or irrational

The problem lies in the fact that nearly everyone involved in character creation, plot direction, and quality testing are not aware of the full scope of scientific reality.

(And, frankly, neither is most of popular science... but that's another story.)

Neither are they particularly clever, witty, or quick.

They probably don't score significantly above average on IQ tests (which tests processing power against a clock).

So, any version of a genius that they represent, is going to necessarily be substandard for a genius. They tend to use magical thinking and so do their genius characters.

Anyway, yes. Peter destroyed the chandelier (is that what it was?) to stop Shocker and blamed it on Shocker.

I don't remember why he mentions people stealing garbage.

An informed person would have no ability to hate 90% of drugs (but could hate a person's chosen actions for using the drug; e.g. date rape.)

Additionally, they would have a difficult time lumping all drugs together into the generic, broad term "drugs." Well informed medical doctors know that some legal drugs are far more addictive and lethal than some illegal drugs, for example. So it makes more sense to name the drug.

You're right: he doesn't come across as a genius. He's just labeled as one several times and given credit for inventions. That's about the extent of his intellectual portrayal.
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65
(edited 1 month ago)

boggieman
1 month ago#5
TheAntiZealot posted...
boggieman posted...

The problem lies in the fact that nearly everyone involved in character creation, plot direction, and quality testing are not aware of the full scope of scientific reality.

(And, frankly, neither is most of popular science... but that's another story.)

Neither are they particularly clever, witty, or quick.

They probably don't score significantly above average on IQ tests (which tests processing power against a clock).

So, any version of a genius that they represent, is going to necessarily be substandard for a genius. They tend to use magical thinking and so do their genius characters.

Anyway, yes. Peter destroyed the chandelier (is that what it was?) to stop Shocker and blamed it on Shocker.

I don't remember why he mentions people stealing garbage.

An informed person would have no ability to hate 90% of drugs (but could hate a person's chosen actions for using the drug; e.g. date rape.)

Additionally, they would have a difficult time lumping all drugs together into the generic, broad term "drugs." Well informed medical doctors know that some legal drugs are far more addictive and lethal than some illegal drugs, for example. So it makes more sense to name the drug.

You're right: he doesn't come across as a genius. He's just labeled as one several times and given credit for inventions. That's about the extent of his intellectual portrayal.

they should add heart reaction to gamefaqs

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
4 weeks ago#6
@boggieman
boggieman posted...
they should add heart reaction to gamefaqs

?

Are you referring to emojis/emoticons? 🤔
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Gilgamesh2010

Gilgamesh2010
4 weeks ago#7
The autism in this thread hurts me.

User Info: Wicked_T_Wraith

Wicked_T_Wraith
4 weeks ago#8
thegreatwumbo posted...
PSN: Wicked_T_Wraith
XBL: Wicked T Wraith

User Info: Carmelo

Carmelo
4 weeks ago#9
boggieman posted...
thegreatwumbo posted...

the dude is an invaluable assistant to Otto Octavius, a guy who created mechanical tentacles you control with your mind. And don’t forget Oscorp tried to recruit him. He’s the classic genius nerd.

User Info: CSCA33

CSCA33
4 weeks ago#10
TheAntiZealot posted...

Nonsense.

I guess we can forget all about Peter’s web fluid, shooters, and gadgets he designed and created himself (including his enhanced mask shown in the opening sequence.) He also solved numerous problems, spanning a range of issues, that involved Doc’s work on a whim. Just because he isn’t a Mr. Miyagi, Einstein, and Don Juan all rolled into one doesn’t mean he wasn’t a genius in his own right.

Regarding the line about Shocker, wouldn’t think I’d have to spell out the obvious. During the fight he destroys the support pillars while trying to hit Spider-Man, hence the line about him literally bringing it upon himself.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. am i the only one bothered by these things?