You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: parasiticleech

parasiticleech
4 weeks ago#1
I'm not finding anything new exciting me right now and am looking at older games that I missed. I would chosen sekiro but I don't like what I am hearing about it. I'm down to persona 5, Monster Hunter, Spiderman and Divinity 2. I like games that give loot (weapons, armor, whatever) and/or skill trees that drag me along through the game. I like a good challenge but the eventual satisfaction of becoming op. I'm not much for multiplayer. I love the Dark Souls series, rpgs, open world games (did not love Red Dead 2 though - too much horse riding). I certainly like a decent story but, to be frank, it does not matter that much to me. It's all about the combat and loot for me. Oh, and I like a game where a little research is beneficial- makes me feel like I am achieving something. Any help greatly appreciated.

User Info: IceCreamOnStero

IceCreamOnStero
4 weeks ago#2
Persona 5 is an RPG, so there's obviously loot.

Spidey doesn't have loot, but you do have multiple skill tress(though they are categorized into 3 bigger sections)

Monster Hunter is all about loot. You kill monster and use their material to build better gear and then use that gear to kill more monsters for more materials.

Don't know about Divinity 2.
"All true Fire Emblem fans hate Fire Emblem" - The Fir Coat
"Close your acount" - KinoTFS

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
4 weeks ago#3
Sounds like you won't enjoy Marvel's Spider-Man for the PS4 by Insomnia.

Just being honest, TC.
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: thegreatwumbo

thegreatwumbo
4 weeks ago#4
Ever tried immersive sim games? Dishonored 2, Prey, and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided are all really good ones. The latter two of which are really overlooked.
Some people move on, but not us...not us.

User Info: Jutopero

Jutopero
4 weeks ago#5
I'm currently looking forward to Sekiro the most, almost there on my way to platinum bloodborne, and I'm also halfway through a run of DS1. To me it seems like an easier bloodborne barely an rpg, meaning you cannot cheat your way through it actually making you need to git gud. From what I've seen good DS and BB players will find it easier than this games but the types of players who summonned and overlevelled their way through the game using broken equipment are screwed. If this is not the case actually tell me lol. Why your lack of interest on it??

From my pov, Spider-man's not for you, you want an rpg, probably one with multiple outcomes etc to make your decisions matter akd have you put some research and thought into what you do before doing it. As you're not about multiplayer I'd say its between Divinity 2 or Persona 5. (Don't know what Divinity 2 is about though).

Spider-man has great action combat, but it's not to deep, its quite easy and enemies movesets are quite repetetive as well as boss fights are made to look more flashy than have substance. Its a fun game, but not a complex one, you could pick it up halfway through the campaign after not playing it in 6 months and still do just fine, even on ultimate difficulty. This game is a game from the fans to the fans, with a bit of a sjw agenda in the way. They nailed Peter and most of the cast, only missconception I'd dare say was the main love interest, maybe Doc Ock a bit too, clearly being mostly influenced by Raimi's movie version. The dlc is a kick in the balls to the fans from Insomniac though. I must also say the sidequests in game and dlc are terrible too.

Persona 5 is claimed to be one of the best rpgs of this gen but its combat is turnbased, not sure if that's a turn off for you. (See what I did there??) Also something called Persona 5 S seems to be coming soon so you might be better off just waiting on it. This game from what I've heard is completely affected by your decisions so it might provide multiple fun blind runs with really different outcomes, I'm not sure how much this is actually true as I'm waiting on the Persona 5 S version myself.
Nomura you broke my heart, and not in a good way. Waiting for Square Enix to return to what it used to be...
LetsMakeSEGreatAgain

TheAntiZealot
4 weeks ago#6
@Jutopero

I played Demon Souls and I am currently playing Bloodbourne (albeit, very slowly) and I could see myself preferring Sekiro.

I love challenges. The atmosphere of Sekiro seems amazing.

I agree, I think that it would be easier than Bloodbourne because you can escape fights and because they tuned the game for no rpg/stat growth elements. Like Spider-Man, except without the total cheese enemies with perfectly programmed accuracy.

I would love some of the combat experts of From Software to direct the combat design of the next Spider-Man successor. That way Spider-Man's evasion and spider sense can be based on physics, rather than a button press dodge literally changing the computer enemy's programmed attack.

Heck, even Monster Hunter combat designers would have a positive impact.

That said, I do love fighting as Spider-Man, in this game. And I would wager to bet that this is the best Spider-Man combat in a video game, to date.
TAZ
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Jutopero

Jutopero
4 weeks ago#7
@TheAntiZealot
I really loved Bloodborne, to me its one of the games I would consider THE GAME of this generation (PS4, XONE). I was so happy when the news of PS5 being backwards compatible came out, because I knew I would replay this and so many ps4 games as soon as I had it. Besides its quite a bit of an incentive to take the exchange deal of a PS4 and a bit of cash for a PS5 multiple business did for the PS3, 2 and 1 respectively in my hometown. (And I really hope they do again for this one). Sekiro seems really cool, but I never used any exploits of the rpg aspects in bloodborne nor played online so I believe I experienced it how it should've been experienced. Problem with Sekiro having almost no rpg aspects means there's no replayabilty value as there are not very different combat styles approach to focus on. (I'm planning on doing an Arcane run, and a Bloodtinge run).

I totally agree on what you say about the difficulty, from what I've seen the fans finding Sekiro "impossible", were the ones who cheesed their way through bloodborne and DS exploiting certain rpg aspects. I'm really looking forward to Sekiro too.

On spider-man this game's combat is good (sufficient for a first installment in a saga) but for the next one I fully believe every aspect of the combat (stealth included) should be improved.

Peter's attack dodge being telegraphed were quite annoying indeed. Personally I believe they should've kept that for the lower difficulties and for the hardest ones have three types of dodge. Right now there's the dodge and the perfect dodge. I would reduce the time frame for the perfect dodge even more and added a clumsy dodge. If there's 1s to dodge and press CIRCLE between 0.4 and 0.6 Peter does the perfect dodge. If you press CIRCLE between 0.2 and 0.4 or 0.6 and 0.8 Peter does a normal dodge. However if you press it between 0 and 0.2 and 0.8 and 1.0 Peter does the clumsy dodge, so basically Peter dodges but stumbles after meaning he can be hit again. (This happens sometimes to him in the comics, he gets distracted and his footing goes wrong and simply stumbles).

On the wall combat should've been a thing like in the web of shadows videogame, hopefully that will be in the next game.

Also I believe the game would've beneficiated of having light and heavy attacks, one being squared and the other triangle, meanwhile multiple webbing and grabbing techniques could've been used by combining r1 with triangle, square, circle and x. (Using a system in which the command is activated when the button is released instead of when tapped, like running in bloodborne, so if you release r1 quickly you use your web gadget if you keep it pressed you access new moves for square, triangle and x (r1+circle could be a counter option instead of dodge which makes peter actually counter the enemy's attack but will only work if done on the perfect dodge timing, and if misspressed it will throw you off the timing for even a normal dodge)).

The game might even benefitiate of a lock on system, as multiple times I wasted gadgets by Peter using them on someone I wasn't aiming on.

Web crawling and swinging also needed quite a bit of work. I'm just a die hard fan of the R2 is right hand and L2 is left hand system, and wish we would've used that instead of using L2 for aiming, which I believe was kind of a useless system as you never really needed to aim in this game. The wall crawling was kind of dodgy when on odd formed structures and specially when stuck onto ceilings, that part really needs some more work.

All boss fights except for Tombstone (The only one enjoyable, as Fisk's is only fun on your first run of the game until you discover he's basically an enhanced big thug) need quite a bit of work. They were extremely easy and frankly unmemorable. They should make me fear the villain but I'm more scared of rhe 20 guys that will show up after I get one guy out of a car's trunk.

Still the game is quite fun, but has a simple combat system.
Nomura you broke my heart, and not in a good way. Waiting for Square Enix to return to what it used to be...
LetsMakeSEGreatAgain

TheAntiZealot
4 weeks ago#8
@Jutopero
Jutopero posted...
I really loved Bloodborne, to me its one of the games I would consider THE GAME of this generation (PS4, XONE).

What do you like about it?

Jutopero posted...
On the wall combat should've been a thing like in the web of shadows videogame, hopefully that will be in the next game.

This game severely lacks proper wall crawling for both traversal and combat.

Granted, wall running, cornering, and Off-the-Wall attacks are all great. But Spider-Man should be exceedingly comfortable using walls as props for all he does.

In regards to the dodge mechanic. I'm not sure that I like having a dedicated dodge button at all!

Your idea would be good for the existing mechanics but I would prefer a whole new mechanic.

Kind of like your "Hold R1" idea, I would like to see maybe a "hold Circle" and tap the 4 shoulder buttons for 4 different movement options that could be used for basic movement, offense, or defense. Basically, you get 5 total moves. Like you suggested, they work on release:

So you tap Circle for a basic acrobatic flair, which is what he does in the game. You hold Circle and press one of the shoulder buttons for 4 completely new moves that are static. Maybe two side dodges, a forward pounce, and a backward break-away maneuver. Now you can use them all equally for offense, traversal, or defense because the move isn't tied to any mechanic. It just gives him pure mobility.

Maybe you might be swinging Northbound, land on a roof, side dodge to the right (with Circle + R1) and immediately, seamlessly begin swinging Eastbound.

Enemies missed because you moved, not because you triggered some kind of program that causes them to miss.

Basically, like a fighting game: In a fighting game, you don't "perfect dodge;" you just happen to not be where the enemy is attacking.

Spider-Man should be untouchable, not only because he can dodge bullets but also because he's never around when you go to attack him.

And this game mostly let's you do that, but much like regular traversal, it is very webzip & point launch reliant.

And that's fine by me, I webzip and point launch and web strike my way around a Maggia base like a bouncing ping pong ball and I love it.

That's how it should be.
TAZ
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: chang3ling

chang3ling
4 weeks ago#9
thegreatwumbo posted...
Prey, and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided are all really good ones. The latter two of which are really overlooked.

Prey was fantastic. I didn't play the other.

IceCreamOnStero posted...
Don't know about Divinity 2.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is basically like playing visual D&D.
~The trance is the motion
I know I’m a little late but divinity 2 is the one you want it has everything you listed.
The sun doesn't give its light to the moon assuming the moon is going to owe it one - Linkin Park