You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. DLC is making me hate the entire game real fast. (Spoilers, obviously)

User Info: ChibiSoma

ChibiSoma
1 month ago#1
I wasn't just super hyped for the base game itself. Story beats come and go, seemingly at random, nothing has enough natural set-up time to feel good. The only part I enjoyed was the end. Whether that's because I actually liked the voice acting or whether it just meant I was left with trophy clean-up, I'm not sure. I got the Platinum before moving on to the DLC, and I'm kind of glad I did, because as tedious as that crap was, at least it didn't make me want to tear my hair out.

The Heist had a few stupid moments, namely Screwball's challenges and the chaingun dudes. I still don't know of a good way to deal with them aside from 'pop into air with gadget, combo, repeat.' And that's not very fun or interesting.

But holy f***, the second DLC. I'm at the trophy clean-up phase of this now and I just want to hit everyone at Insomniac with a sack of dimes. Where do I even get started?

Yuri's turn to Wraith was nearly instant and entirely f***ing off-screen. You can pull the One Bad Day trope all you want, but the DLCs are so short that Insomniac didn't feel the need to at least stretch Yuri's turn over all of them. Instead, she starts out traumatized (but not at any events in the base game or first DLC of course) and then is just psychotic and evil by the end when she pops Hammerhead in the dome. You need time to set this s*** up, and apparently Insomniac didn't get the f***ing memo, so it just comes off as mild character assassination. Her turn to Wraith was far too quick to be believable. And if you don't know about Wraith, it's ALL out of f***ing left-field and OOC for her.

Miles received a similar downgrade for some god damn reason. In the base game, he was fairly level-headed, especially in stressful situations. He was able to sneak past the demons, he was able to sneak by Rhino. Here he jumps off a f***ing bridge and breaks a toe because HURR DURR WANNA SHOT WEB SPOODERMUN! f***'s sakes, Insomniac. I get that he's eager, but f***ing HAVE MILES SIDE QUESTS THEN! Have Peter teach him over the course of the 3 DLCs! And then by the end of the 3rd DLC you could've had Miles show up in-costume and you get to kick Hammerhead's ass with him or something, I dunno!

Screwball's challenges are even more infuriating with the introduction of the stealth missions. Let's make you have to go fast, hit all the Photo Bomb spots, AND avoid quick-moving f***ing instant fail spots. Great. Y'know, for a game that was generally given thumbs-up for accessibility options, s*** like this proves that you'd need an able-bodied buddy to be your wingman for some parts. I'd imagine L1+R1 for throwing isn't a picnic, either. I've given up wholesale on these. I'll just load up whoever the Batman Arkham Videos equivalent for Spider-Man is and follow strats from here on. I'm beyond done with her, and I hear it only gets worse in Sable's DLC.

I haven't done any of Hammerhead's bases yet, but I've also heard those are nightmares. Not surprising given Insomniac's idea of difficulty is just 'throw every annoying enemy in at once.' Rad. Can't wait to have to down multiple chaingunners at once and being stunlocked to death. Again.

It really feels like the DLC was written by different people than the base game. No one's behaving like themselves anymore. Everything is just 'like the base game, only way more annoying' which isn't fun. There is absolutely no way I'm gonna go back after (if) I ever 100% the 2 remaining DLCs to do NG+ on Ultimate. I'd have less annoyances, but I'm so pissed off at this garbage that I'm just ready to be done.

Hey. Don't get into achievement/trophy hunting, kids. I have some weird compulsion to do this s*** and it sucks. If I don't get it all done, it'll bug me until I go back to it. That's no way to play.

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
1 month ago#2
As I've said before, I don't do trophies and achievements. Beyond that, I don't do collectibles, either.

Here's what gets me to do those things (both of which I have done in this game): Ease, fun, in-game reward that I won't go without. No ease or no fun? No way it's getting done. If there's some upgrade I want, I'll do it.

Anyway,

I have given Miles a lot of flak. And it is mostly because of the spider bite (painful suspension of disbelief) and the DLC.

I also hated the changes to J.J.J. in the DLC. In the main game, he was fun, funny, and often accurate. Surprisingly accurate. His criticisms of Spider-Man were typically valid and reasonable. In the DLC, however, not a single one of his complaints made any sense. And he often was simply annoying. Screaming, crying, raging, about nonsense. He lost his maturity.

I agree about the plot. It was a few steps down from the main game in terms of pacing, suspense, coherence, and relevance.

I don't know much about Yuri. And I have no idea qho Wraith is. But yes, the path she took was neither pleasant nor entirely justified.

I liked the Black Cat chase, but Black Cat's whole plot role was iffy even in the main story.

I won't talk about the last DLC but I can't wait to see your updated post commentary on it!
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65

User Info: CSCA33

CSCA33
1 month ago#3
TheAntiZealot posted...
J.J.J. ... In the main game, he was fun, funny, and often accurate. Surprisingly accurate. His criticisms of Spider-Man were typically valid and reasonable.

I suppose that goes to show how well they did with making him a caricature of right wing radio.

User Info: CRK44

CRK44
1 month ago#4
CSCA33 posted...
TheAntiZealot posted...
J.J.J. ... In the main game, he was fun, funny, and often accurate. Surprisingly accurate. His criticisms of Spider-Man were typically valid and reasonable.

I suppose that goes to show how well they did with making him a caricature of right wing radio.

Probably a good litmus test for sanity in general. You're granted the truth of what happens by playing the game but you still somehow agree with some angry ex-journalist making off the cuff commentary from his apartment.

User Info: rexcrk

rexcrk
1 month ago#5
You don’t have to get all the trophies.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

User Info: khunki

khunki
1 month ago#6
The story and characterization in the main game is pretty bad too. I haven't played the DLC yet but from what I've heard it takes what was already bad to worse.
X
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. DLC is making me hate the entire game real fast. (Spoilers, obviously)