You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. I love this game, but Combat sucks, and other things are questionable.

User Info: xXDa-KidXx

xXDa-KidXx
1 month ago#1
While it is tactical for the most part, it honestly relies too much on gadgets. The same combos, literally.. same animations. Honestly would have preferred something more akin to Spider-Man 2 or Spider-Man WoS combat. It was stylish, gave way more options to dispatch bad guys, and was really exciting unlocking a new combo.

Here we got this kinda Arkham Style, but while Arkham was basically one button to attack, it did something that made things seem less repetitive. Batman had a ton of different attack animations. Doing one of the same string combos on an enemy didn't mean it would look the same on another. Punches, kicks, flips, throws. Here? Spider-Man does the same... boring... kicks... EVERY time.

Also I know this is nitpicking, but Spider-Man relies waaay too much on webbing fighting, he also kicks too much. Like he only punches in a few animations which is weird.

Another thing, charge jumping in this game sucks. You have to be on the ground to do it, you have to be standing still at first to even use is, and any other animations cancels it. And why did they have it be a requirement to use the swing/run/parkour button?
DeviantArt: http://dakidgaming.deviantart.com/
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DaKidWiiTrailers [Nintendo Focused]
(message deleted)

User Info: thedoctor2014

thedoctor2014
1 month ago#3
Bump.

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
1 month ago#4
xXDa-KidXx posted...
Another thing, charge jumping in this game sucks.

I use it frequently. Although, it was one of the last skills I purchased before the disarm tree.

You have to be on the ground to do it, you have to be standing still at first to even use is, and any other animations cancels it.

You do not have to stand still to use it.

I charge while running and simultaneously (within 0.10 seconds) let go of the control stick and followed by the jump button for a vertical jump.

I also will charge while standing and simultaneously (within 0.10 seconds) select a direction on the control stick and followed by the jump button for a horizontal launch jump.

And why did they have it be a requirement to use the swing/run/parkour button?

Fair question.

While it is tactical for the most part, it honestly relies too much on gadgets.

I haven't used gadgets in many hours. I barely even use webshooters, anymore. It's been so long, I'm starting to feel guilty about it. Like, maybe I should go press that gadget wheel button or webshoot every once in a while.

After reading your post, however, I am starting to feel a little bit better about it. Some of my gadgetless combat guilt is subsiding. So, for that, I do thank you.

The same combos, literally..

There are no combos, in this game. So, I'm not sure how you can do a "same combo." I guess, if you really were committed, you could press square four times for that one combo. And, I guess, if you press square four times in the air then you have two combos in the game.

The only thing that I find to be repetitive is the Finishers. But, we are all different people with different perceptions.

same animations.

I agree on the topic of Finishers. Outside of that, I can't grasp how this is different from 100% of all video games.

Honestly, Finishers wouldn't bother me if one or both of two changes occurred:

1. Allow camera rotation during the Finisher.

2. Do not employ slow-motion during the Finisher.
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65

TheAntiZealot
1 month ago#5
Also, charge jumping is easy because a 1 second charge counts as a full charge.
TAZ

User Info: WhillB

WhillB
1 month ago#6
I agree, that the combat in this game is VERY basic.

One of the biggest offenders, to me, was that Spidy can only "hop" about three feet off the ground, without using the Charge Jump (and the Charge Jump is very clunky in combat).

I also don't like how Stealth is broken, automatically, after Wave One, of any instance.

Every single fight situation, from random street thugs, to more advanced military type enemies, was the exact same, over n over throughout the game.

It's just group chaos every time.

I would really liked to have seen more variety (in many ways). The Batman games certainly felt better, combat wise.
Bing, Bang, Boom... Squish?

User Info: spidey_fan

spidey_fan
1 month ago#7
Gee, the whole hopping 3 feet of the ground is about just right to line up a swing kick into a goon. Without charge jumping then sprint jumping & point launching is enough to clear gaps in this game.

As for combat, repeated animations for combat maneuvers meant that I know exactly which sort of animation will come out. In Batman I believe some striking animations are slower than others, which can result in either you hitting an attacking enemy or getting attacked yourself mid-striking.
With great power comes great responsibility. Too bad I am 100% powerless, and there's nothing I can do about it.

TheAntiZealot
1 month ago#8
WhillB posted...
I also don't like how Stealth is broken, automatically, after Wave One, of any instance.

I generally agree with this. There are several improvements that could be made to stealth.

But it is not as bad or unworkable as I originally suspected before I learned it a bit better.

spidey_fan posted...
Gee, the whole hopping 3 feet of the ground is about just right to line up a swing kick into a goon. Without charge jumping then sprint jumping & point launching is enough to clear gaps in this game.

Moving around erratically and violently in combat is one of the more intuitive and functional aspects of Marvel's Spider-Man.

Especially in bases, it is easy and fun to constantly fly around and pick off enemies while giving them no chance for retaliation or counter play.
TAZ
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Wicked_T_Wraith

Wicked_T_Wraith
1 month ago#9
The game's combat isn't Arkham style.

With that said, Spider-Man's combat > Arkham's combat.
The Official Robin of the I2 Boards
The Official Ermac of the MK11 Boards

User Info: spidey_fan

spidey_fan
1 month ago#10
TheAntiZealot posted...
WhillB posted...

I generally agree with this. There are several improvements that could be made to stealth.

But it is not as bad or unworkable as I originally suspected before I learned it a bit better.

spidey_fan posted...

Moving around erratically and violently in combat is one of the more intuitive and functional aspects of Marvel's Spider-Man.

Especially in bases, it is easy and fun to constantly fly around and pick off enemies while giving them no chance for retaliation or counter play.

I usually rely on web zipping, swinging, air dodging & the bread & butter web striking to get the job done. Charge jumping while useful to gain momentum isn't strictly required to achieve maniac−on−crack movement in this game. The small hop is about just right to chain a swing kick in combos onto grounded enemies to isolate one of them to wallop further with air attacks.

(It isnt enough to jump the noob bridge on Officer Davis' level though. You have to sprint like he did.)
With great power comes great responsibility. Too bad I am 100% powerless, and there's nothing I can do about it.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. I love this game, but Combat sucks, and other things are questionable.