• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. seriously, the combat in this game might be the best I've ever played

User Info: Carmelo

Carmelo
3 months ago#1
It’s so skill-based and incredibly well done. I’m level 38 just crushing Sable bases but I don’t feel like i’m OP; I just feel like I’ve internalized the skill system and am able to use my abilities to their maximum effects. I don’t even use gadgets; just the skills and normal moves list and regular web shooters are enough to overcome the enemies. Shields? yank them away or use bunker buster. Web resistant enemies? Use web swing kick and combo them in the air. Rocket guys? Perfect dodge them and do an instant takedown. I haven’t seen a game like this that truly rewards you for learning it’s system and fighting like spider-man in such a long time. That’s just my rant

User Info: Wicked_T_Wraith

Wicked_T_Wraith
3 months ago#2
The combat in this game is very well designed.
The Official Robin of the I2 Boards
The Official Ermac of the MK11 Boards

User Info: KANE_79

KANE_79
3 months ago#3
It's definitely excellent.
Watch Out for Fireballs! A retro and non-current games podcast.
http://www.watchoutforfireballs.com

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
3 months ago#4
The combat is why it's the best Spider-Man game.

The webswinging and story and 3d world just cement it as utterly wonderful and fun.
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65

User Info: Carmelo

Carmelo
3 months ago#5
I really like how the combat system has you actually fighting like spider man. Not just tanking enemies and beating them up, but constantly dodging around, webbing people up, using the environment to throw objects, etc. It really feels like the comic books come to life
I concur.
Cover your knees up if you're gonna be walkin' around everywhere.

User Info: T_Info

T_Info
3 months ago#7
The combat is good but I do think it’s susceptible to certain routines, which makes it a bit repetitive from mid game on (I’m level 42 and nearing the end of the game).

As an example, I tend to approach most group fights the same way now:
1. Toss out a couple gadgets for crowd control purposes
2. “Perfect dodge” any incoming attacks (I put it in quotes because the window for perfect dodging is pretty generous with the upgrade)
3. Isolate individual enemies and launch them in the air, then finish them

I still think this is above average for an action game, and I do like how you can sort of customize your fighting style with your suit power and suit mods.

I’m also not trying to say I’m anything special at the game. I’m playing on the standard difficulty and it’s a reasonable challenge.

But there’s been enough repetition and routine at this point to make me feel a bit less enamored with the combat after the 15-hour mark or so.

User Info: milkmanv1

milkmanv1
3 months ago#8
Agreed with everything in here, and I bet a couple of things get nerfed in the sequel. But I never tired of the combat, it was a lot of fun and felt a real sense of getting better the more I played to where I was a fully confident Spidey doing flawless battles and thwipping with ease as opposed to rookie Spidey at the start dying in simple muggings and slamming into buildings in traversal
Jesus this, Moses that
Abraham hit me with a wiffle ball bat
When I found myself falling into routines, I made the conscious decision to stop doing that and trained myself to always be running through all my possible moves and attacks in my head, and mixing things up constantly. I strive to always be trying out new combo ideas like (web up enemy) + (air launch) + (dodge to wall) + (off the wall attack) to try to knock them into an object they'll stick to. I also find a lot of fun with Threat Sensors where I'll try to use my window of slowed time to pull off simple trick shots. Like if I have a guy juggled into the air when I perfect dodge a gunshot, I try to manual aim an Impact web at the shooter and still have time to web up the airborne guy and yank him down before he returns to Earth on his own. Once I got to the point where I wasn't worried about surviving a fight, it opened up the possibilities to just have pure fun making the mooks look dumb.
Cover your knees up if you're gonna be walkin' around everywhere.

User Info: milkmanv1

milkmanv1
3 months ago#10
Plus experimenting may help you find something fun to use. I didn't really use my spider drone and decoys until very late in the game and I wish I used them earlier
Jesus this, Moses that
Abraham hit me with a wiffle ball bat
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. seriously, the combat in this game might be the best I've ever played
  • Topic Archived