You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. Question about Miles from an old school Spiderman fan...

User Info: moonlithunter

moonlithunter
3 months ago#1
So I quit reading Spiderman back in the 90's...basically right after Venom and Spiderman finished teaming up to take down the newest villain of the time- Carnage.

Needless to say Miles Morales is a brand new concept to me although I still haven't encountered him in game yet...but reading on another thread that he "replaces" spiderman has me wondering...

Is his story a GOOD one?
Does Miles ever get racially profiled by the police? Did he know someone like Kalief Browder or lose a friend to a cop who thought his badge was a license to kill?

So comic book readers...is Miles Morales story told well or not?
Every problem society suffers can be linked to the fact our politicians serve the corporate benefactors that finance their campaigns rather than the people.

User Info: Wicked_T_Wraith

Wicked_T_Wraith
3 months ago#2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6RWSiR88s
The Official Robin of the I2 Boards
The Official Ermac of the MK11 Boards

User Info: themultininja

themultininja
3 months ago#3
In the ultimate universe he was ok, but when they moved him to the 616 he didn't really have anything to do.
"What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"

User Info: WhillB

WhillB
3 months ago#4
Did you mean to ask if his race is the main point of his story?

You could of just said that.
Bing, Bang, Boom... Squish?

User Info: moonlithunter

moonlithunter
3 months ago#5
WhillB posted...
Did you mean to ask if his race is the main point of his story?

You could of just said that.

No. I asked what I asked, but you're obviously not in the mood to answer a simple question.

I think the best way to write the story would be to tell the story of a kid adjusting to life with new super powers.
That being said, I don't see how one could write the story of a young black man living in urban America and NOT touch upon the issues people tend to struggle with every day as a result of being a black man in America.

IF the writers avoid that subject then Miles Morales would be less believable than Tinker Bell...hence, my question.
Every problem society suffers can be linked to the fact our politicians serve the corporate benefactors that finance their campaigns rather than the people.

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
3 months ago#6
To be honest, TC, I recommend ignoring all of these opinions and details until after being the main storyline.

I'd rather hear your fresh opinion than dilute your perspective with my own or anyone else's.

But since you asked, I am not a comic book reader so I will find a link to one which seems to answer your specific questions.

...Here you go:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/191635-marvels-spider-man/77213649/914890443
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: zetsuhimoze

zetsuhimoze
3 months ago#7
Miles wasn't too bad in the ultimate universe, but no his race didn't play any part other than being a biracial super hero. The link antizealot posted is probably the best take on Miles. Miles 616 counterpart though was a more interesting character
Psn zetsu_himoze FC:1934-0869-8118 IGN: Stephen tsv:0420
Trade list: http://tinyurl.com/kdzjofd (ignore original 3ds was stolen)
(message deleted)

User Info: Jutopero

Jutopero
2 months ago#9
moonlithunter posted...
So I quit reading Spiderman back in the 90's...basically right after Venom and Spiderman finished teaming up to take down the newest villain of the time- Carnage.

Needless to say Miles Morales is a brand new concept to me although I still haven't encountered him in game yet...but reading on another thread that he "replaces" spiderman has me wondering...

Is his story a GOOD one?
Does Miles ever get racially profiled by the police? Did he know someone like Kalief Browder or lose a friend to a cop who thought his badge was a license to kill?

So comic book readers...is Miles Morales story told well or not?

No, it's not. He goes against Ultimate Universe lore throughout most of his origin. And it is not like a writter contradicting something the guy who had the run 5 writers before him wrote, like his own author contradicts himself.

Imagine Peter Parker, however his parents are alive so he lives with them, they are the ones trying to teach Peter about being responsible. Then imagine Uncle Ben as a d list criminal, who steals stuff from Alchemax. He ends up taking a Spider home and it bites Miles.

Miles gets spider powers but Peter's still around so he does f*** all. Then Peter dies, Miles decides to step up to the challenge, and is Spidey for a while. Then his uncle reveals he knows Miles is spider-man and blackmails Miles. Miles in the end fights him back.

That's basically the origin of Miles. Imagine Peter Parker but with living parents. Miles has the sense of morality Peter had after the spider bit him but before Ben died, so he won't use his powers for crime, but won't bother in helping others either. Then Peter dies, and his death is what motivates Miles into using his powers to help others. However Miles instead of having Uncle Ben as his uncle he has someone like Norman Osborn (A criminal that just wants to make profit out of the situation to the point of becoming a supervillain).

Actually that would be so cool for like another universe. Having Norman Osborn as Peter's uncle. I would love to read that kind of comic.

Edit: I just saw someone sent a link to one of my posts and it feels so great to know you guys found my posts useful.

That link explains the story behind the character, like why was he made, this one up here goes through his actual story in the comics in a lazy and not really complete way, but yep.
Currently playing: Nino Kuni 2, Nioh and Bloodborne.
FFXV's board is that magical place where you hate someone in a topic and love him on another.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Drkr_Zen

Drkr_Zen
2 months ago#10
On his own, he's a poor character that doesn't have a strong presence. He's more of an add-on character to Parker, I feel, in that he's only as strong as the Parker whose wing he's under. That's why he was such a great character in Spider-Verse... because Peter B. Parker was a great Parker.

I'd say check out that movie, as it does a slight origin story for Miles, to understand him better if you have zero knowledge of him otherwise. Plus, its an awesome movie.
GOAT: Secret of Mana, Monster Hunter World, Bloodborne, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls, BioShock Infinite, FFIX, MGS3: Snake Eater, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Okami
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. Question about Miles from an old school Spiderman fan...