You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. I thought I would like this game a lot more than I am, anyone else let down?

User Info: XSilverPhoenixX

XSilverPhoenixX
4 weeks ago#1
Let me start off by saying I see the effort put into the game, and for the most part it looks good. (Well except for the fug faces that plague the game.) I only have a PS4 not Pro btw.

The biggest issue I have with not enjoying the game is how much work it feels like. I am trying to mix in the side quests/district tasks with proceeding with the story. I'm almost 50% through the campaign.

The game is so redundant and frustrating at times that I understand why a lot of people get pissed playing it. The constant chase this thing down before it escapes, blows up, damages this or that is so damn awful it ruins the game for me. There is just so many times it's the same situation I hate it. Cars, bombs, pigeons, helicopter in the story, Research Labs tasks on a time limit, menial filler s*** that feels excessive like fetch quests in an RPG.

I'd gladly take a longer story with more interesting aspects and creative diversions than most of what they shoved in to give more play time. I know there is a lot of annoyance with the Demon gang and typical enemy fodder, and that just adds more frustration into the mix. XP gain seems really slow with needing to battle as much as possible to get that little bit extra.

The most important thing that isn't horrible but still isn't great is the web swinging. Sometimes I think it's glitched where there is no web swinging coming out at all no matter how many times you press R2 and release, and then you get hung up on buildings and fire escapes. Swinging is slow af unless you have buildings everywhere with a valley to swing through cleanly. The R3 hold to dive rapidly still doesn't feel like it's actually giving you much speed when you swing out of it.

I know they're trying to add realism to the game in how you make your way through it, but it would have just been better to use sky sticking with fluid movement so everything doesn't become an obstacle in your way. It would make all of the chase or you fail segments less of a pain in the ass. I know the DLC chapters make all of this worse with more crap tasks and even more forced difficulty so I may hold off and hope they actually reduce the price (probably not by much).

What is your objective take on the game if you're playing it currently or recently? That menu music gives me deja vu of Resident Evil 4 and 5 music with menus and end of chapter music.

User Info: c0sa n0stra

c0sa n0stra
4 weeks ago#2
Most of those objectives are fun to do because the traversal is fun, but you don't enjoy the core of the game, which is the swinging and other movement, so you're not going to enjoy any part of it.

XSilverPhoenixX
4 weeks ago#3
When everything is faster than you I wouldn't call it fun. It makes Spider-Man feel slow and weak. He should be a lot faster at running, wall-climbing, and swinging. Oddly he runs faster on walls than he does on the ground.

User Info: Wicked_T_Wraith

Wicked_T_Wraith
4 weeks ago#4
Traversal is not only on of the best aspects of the game, it's also rather easy to get used to.

Are you making use of the Zip To Point Launch?
The Official Robin of the I2 Boards
The Official Ermac of the MK11 Boards

c0sa n0stra
4 weeks ago#5
XSilverPhoenixX posted...
When everything is faster than you I wouldn't call it fun. It makes Spider-Man feel slow and weak. He should be a lot faster at running, wall-climbing, and swinging. Oddly he runs faster on walls than he does on the ground.

See? You don't find it fun, I did, because I enjoyed traversal a lot. Especially with point launches as they really build up your speed. If you don't enjoy the core mechanics you're not going to enjoy the rest of the game, just return it.

XSilverPhoenixX
4 weeks ago#6
Wicked_T_Wraith posted...
Traversal is not only on of the best aspects of the game, it's also rather easy to get used to.

Are you making use of the Zip To Point Launch?

As much as I can, but even with web zipping and trying to get to a point launch icon it doesn't always activate. Even on the top of rooftops I've had it not appear.
There are few places on the map where there is nothing to swing from. If you're trying to always be up high, you'll have problems with speedy swinging if you aren't utilizing web zips and point launches.

Try staying closer to street level, and time the release of your web line so instead of gaining altitude(releasing later), you gain forward momentum(release earlier).

It's almost dizzying how fast it seems you're going when you're right above the street with a good web swing rhythm going.
Cover your knees up if you're gonna be walkin' around everywhere.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Oh, and if you still feel like your're too slow, if you unlock the Spider-man 2099 Black suit, it comes with a suit power called Low Gravity that has a passive secondary effect that increases your traversal speed by quite a bit. There's also a suit mod that will increase traversal a little, but you have to be level 50 to unlock it. You can get the 2099 suit much earlier. You aren't locked into using that suit to get the buff, either. You can use any suit in combination with any suit power.
Cover your knees up if you're gonna be walkin' around everywhere.

XSilverPhoenixX
4 weeks ago#9
thekosmicfool part 2 posted...
Oh, and if you still feel like your're too slow, if you unlock the Spider-man 2099 Black suit, it comes with a suit power called Low Gravity that has a passive secondary effect that increases your traversal speed by quite a bit. There's also a suit mod that will increase traversal a little, but you have to be level 50 to unlock it. You can get the 2099 suit much earlier. You aren't locked into using that suit to get the buff, either. You can use any suit in combination with any suit power.

I saw someone mention the 2099 suit with the low gravity ability when referencing the Far From Home trailer and how there is no suit with webwings in the game. They should have put it on the Stark Suit from Homecoming.

I don't know how the heck I'm going to reach level 50 without replaying through the entire game unless XP values increase through the story. I'm only level 23 and midway through. 2099 is the quicker solution for now.

c0sa n0stra
4 weeks ago#10
I had no problems getting to level 50, but I did all the side content and platted the game.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. I thought I would like this game a lot more than I am, anyone else let down?