You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. Silver DLC bad writing(spoilers)

User Info: Wicked_T_Wraith

Wicked_T_Wraith
3 months ago#21
Pig143 posted...
Subjective, for example this person even made a thread about it
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/191635-marvels-spider-man/77338869
Showing some people weren't swayed till the ending

You're right about it being subjective, but in the thread you linked, the majority of posters didn't state anything along the lines of what you've said. Only the topic creator and one other person within.

Hell, the topic creator even retracts their initial statement of the story being "s***ty":

Evieholly13 posted...
I mean s***ty may not have been the right word
The Official Robin of the I2 Boards
The Official Ermac of the MK11 Boards

User Info: Pig143

Pig143
3 months ago#22
Wicked_T_Wraith posted...
in the thread you linked, the majority of posters didn't state anything along the lines of what you've said. Only the topic creator and one other person within.

Hell, the topic creator even retracts their initial statement of the story being "s***ty"

Retracting "s***ty" to "average at best" isn't much of a retractment and it still supports my claim that the story didn't have any impact
So basically they swayed the simple minded who still didn't care for the story with a cheap trick

Also considering that thread at the moment only has 29 post and multiple one are from the same people those two aren't that much less
Hackers win at games but they still lose at life, i used to hate them but then i realized they have to cheat so now i just feel sorry for them.

Wicked_T_Wraith
3 months ago#23
Pig143 posted...
Retracting "s***ty" to "average at best" isn't much of a retractment and it still supports my claim that the story didn't have any impact

No, it doesn't.

And it's a retractment, regardless of the degree.

Pig143 posted...
So basically they swayed the simple minded who still didn't care for the story with a cheap trick

That's a nice way of insulting the same two people you insisted validated your opinion.

Pig143 posted...
Also considering that thread at the moment only has 29 post and multiple one are from the same people those two aren't that much less

So why use that thread as an example to try and further your argument if it wasn't even a notable sample size?

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
3 months ago#24
I'm surprised that you didn't mention JJJ.

The truth is that the quality of the script and dialogue took a hit in the DLC.

Regardless, I enjoyed the main storyline thoroughly, all the way up until the credits.

To be fair, I don't play video games for the story. So, this one came as a pleasant, but unnecessary surprise.
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65
(edited 3 months ago)

Pig143
2 months ago#25
Pig143 posted...

No, it doesn't.
And it's a retractment, regardless of the degree.

That's a nice way of insulting the same two people you insisted validated your opinion.

So why use that thread as an example to try and further your argument if it wasn't even a notable sample size?

Yes it does, average at best. in other words, no real impact.

When people are easily manipulated am i suppose to praise them
My point is not everyone liked the story and some were swayed by the cheap tactic ending

i used the thread to show that some people saw the story as not good aside from the ending
Also those "two people" weren't that outnumbered in that thread like you make them out to be
TheAntiZealot posted...
I'm surprised that you didn't mention JJJ.

in my opinion JJJ is one of the things they did well, but to be fair the guy writes himself despite the fact it's getting old for some
Hackers win at games but they still lose at life, i used to hate them but then i realized they have to cheat so now i just feel sorry for them.

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
2 months ago#26
Pig143 posted...
in my opinion JJJ is one of the things they did well, but to be fair the guy writes himself despite the fact it's getting old for some

Well, I thought he was fantastic in the main campaign because I could almost halfway agree with him. And in several instances my only response was "well... he's not wrong!"

But in the DLC, he's drinking, having panic attacks, needing a binky, arguing with his psychiatrist... you can't really side with him, at all.
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65

Wicked_T_Wraith
2 months ago#27
Pig143 posted...
Yes it does, average at best. in other words, no real impact.

Average at best does not mean the story as a whole leaves no impact.

Pig143 posted...
When people are easily manipulated am i suppose to praise them
My point is not everyone liked the story and some were swayed by the cheap tactic ending

It's not a matter of giving praise; you're criticizing people who see the ending in a way you don't. And, clearly, not a lot of people agree with you.

If Insomniac really wanted to play it safe, nobody close to Peter would have died.

Pig143 posted...
i used the thread to show that some people saw the story as not good aside from the ending
Also those "two people" weren't that outnumbered in that thread like you make them out to be

Yet it still wasn't a good sample size, considering there were at least 12 or more different posters, and most of them said nothing that aligned with your opinion. That made for a terrible example for you to use, and goes against the argument you are trying to debate.

Pig143
2 months ago#28
Average at best does not mean the story as a whole leaves no impact.

It's not a matter of giving praise; you're criticizing people who see the ending in a way you don't. And, clearly, not a lot of people agree with you.

If Insomniac really wanted to play it safe, nobody close to Peter would have died.

Yet it still wasn't a good sample size, considering there were at least 12 or more different posters, and most of them said nothing that aligned with your opinion. That made for a terrible example for you to use, and goes against the argument you are trying to debate.

Average at best means no real impact.

Yep, definitely criticizing people. Most do and on a regular basis

They realized they made no impact and had to kill someone off
Which was the safest kill choice possible aside from random NPC

The point wasn't people agreeing with me, it's just to show some weren't swayed till the ending

Wicked_T_Wraith
2 months ago#29
Pig143 posted...
Average at best means no real impact.

A story that leaves "no real impact" is a bad story.

Average at best =/= bad.

Pig143 posted...
Yep, definitely criticizing people. Most do and on a regular basis

Calling others "simple-minded" for being "swayed by the ending" is rather unnecessary criticism.

Pig143 posted...
They realized they made no impact and had to kill someone off

Miles's father dies at the end of Act 1.

Pig143 posted...
Which was the safest kill choice possible aside from random NPC

She was not a safe choice considering if they handled her death terribly, it would have damaged the ending upon closing out the story.

Pig143 posted...
The point wasn't people agreeing with me, it's just to show some weren't swayed till the ending

Does not change the fact that it wasn't a great thread for you to make your point due to the overall lack of that kind of feedback present in the topic. Unless you're making the more general argument that anyone who thought that the ending was good are the "simple-minded who were swayed", in which case...no.

Pig143
2 months ago#30
A story that leaves "no real impact" is a bad story.

Average at best =/= bad.

Calling others "simple-minded" for being "swayed by the ending" is rather unnecessary criticism.

Miles's father dies at the end of Act 1.

She was not a safe choice considering if they handled her death terribly, it would have damaged the ending upon closing out the story.

Does not change the fact that it wasn't a great thread for you to make your point due to the overall lack of that kind of feedback present in the topic. Unless you're making the more general argument that anyone who thought that the ending was good are the "simple-minded who were swayed", in which case...no.

Not true, stories can leave no impact without being bad. Even good stories only usually leave an impact but don't always

Most opinions in terms of criticism could and/or are considered unnecessary

Miles father isn't an established character, basically one step above nameless random.
The people who are familiar with him already experienced his death, much like the parents of Bruce Wayne

it's kind of hard to mess up killing a character off, it takes a special kind of incompetence

it actually was, it showcased how wishy washy people can be and how some are easily manipulated by the death of a character
  1. Boards
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. Silver DLC bad writing(spoilers)