• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. God of War
  3. Well it won GOTY. Guess I gotta play it *spoilers*

User Info: egpNoodlez

egpNoodlez
3 months ago#1
Background, not a previous God of War fan. I know bits of lore and thought the first game was pretty good in story execution from what I heard. The combat I was never big into because I preferred the pace of games like DMC or NG.

Coming into this game I was already impressed with the issue 0 comic because it started addressing my exact problems I had with Kratos, that from GoW2 onwards his only personality, at least that I saw from promotional material, was raging like an endless tantrum and killing things brutally, only stopping to tap some ass. Right off the bat, he's struggling with his anger and that's already got me invested because I want to see whether or not he breaks from this.

Starting the game proper, that intro is masterfully crafted. I knew it would have small deviations from the initial E3 reveal, instantly I was impressed with the combat because the E3 reveal made that look kind of clumsy and slow. Playing for myself, it feels very good, controls are tight and there is a good number of methods of cancelling certain moves. The first boss fight, man that is really well done. The way the scene builds, the back-and-forth, invoking Kratos' Spartan Rage, altogether it was an incredible intro.

Playing through the game, really surprised how well paced things are. The side quests are fun to go through and because of just a bit of dialogue, I don't have too much of that feeling that I'm ignoring the main quest for these side quests, "obtaining resources" to help them on their journey works as an excuse. Also I do like Kratos' reactions to a lot of these side quests, especially some of his reasoning for taking on certain quests.

In terms of the acting I'm finding it top notch. The scene where Kratos' is travelling slowly to his house to dig up the past. You can feel the tension, feel the anger he is trying to suppress, and the struggle to keep himself collected while knowing he needs to act now, but is prevented from doing so because of this damn long boat ride. Another scene that really stands out to me is the scene in Alfheim after Kratos' comes back from the light.

Having the game treated as "one continuous camera shot" is a design choice I really dig, really lends a more cinematic feel to the whole experience.

Currently I'm in the process of accessing Tyr's Vault the second time after the initial, ahem, distraction. I've taken down four Valkyries now and they have been great challenges, looking forward to the final one as I heard she has the abilities of the other eight combined which sounds...great! XD

So yeah, what the hell was I thinking leaving this game so late to play? Very impressed with this game, while I had MonHun World as my GOTY I'm rapidly changing to GoW purely for the fantastic experience Cory Barlog and his team have crafted, everything is so polished. I've had very few clipping issues, seen very little late texture loading, and have been stuck in ever since I downloaded it after TGAs.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/egpNoodlez/BBE_40.jpg
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/egpNoodlez.png

User Info: coolblackknight

coolblackknight
3 months ago#2
Somewhere an angel got his wings.

Good post, the thrills will keep coming for you... And so will the Queen of the Valks. :-)

"Handle yo Scandal !!!"

User Info: chang3ling

chang3ling
3 months ago#3
While I agree with your sentiments, I think playing a game just because it won some silly award is pretty ridiculous.
~The trance is the motion

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
3 months ago#4
chang3ling posted...
While I agree with your sentiments, I think playing a game just because it won some silly award is pretty ridiculous.

+1
Do you like polls?? We have new ones every day: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1475-always-making-polls
*Currently seeking poll makers and topic bumpers*

egpNoodlez
3 months ago#5
chang3ling posted...

Absolutely. It's just a clickbait topic title...I may be a little not-busy at work XD

User Info: kollisionn777

kollisionn777
3 months ago#6
Aren't there numerous goty awards? Come to think of it, what is the "Oscars" of game awards?
Mother**** Tito!

User Info: Jonbodhi

Jonbodhi
3 months ago#7
I knew I wanted to play it during the first preview. Atreus has shot a deer and Kratos insists he finish it off. He helps the kid through it and at the end, it’s obvious he’s deeply affected by it. Kratos reaches a hand out to comfort him....but he just can’t do it!

That scene said to me: ‘this is going to be a character, not a rage machine!’ I played GoW 1-3 and they were fun, but I was done with Kratos after that. Now I want more.
Slavery was legal. Apartheid was legal. The Holocaust was legal. Colonialism was legal
Legality is a matter of power, not justice

egpNoodlez
3 months ago#8
Jonbodhi posted...
I knew I wanted to play it during the first preview. Atreus has shot a deer and Kratos insists he finish it off. He helps the kid through it and at the end, it’s obvious he’s deeply affected by it. Kratos reaches a hand out to comfort him....but he just can’t do it!

That scene said to me: ‘this is going to be a character, not a rage machine!’ I played GoW 1-3 and they were fun, but I was done with Kratos after that. Now I want more.

Kratos and Artreus' relationship is very interesting throughout the game, especially as more revelations occur and changes things for both characters. Seeing a vulnerable side to Kratos is so rare but it's so powerful when it happens. Watching Artreus' growth from the boy who could barely kill a deer, to a warrior worthy of standing by Kratos' side is very heartwarming, truly the most powerful father/son duo next to, well Kratos and Lloyd XD

User Info: shyloy

shyloy
2 months ago#9
Lord_Wombat posted...
chang3ling posted...

+1

egpNoodlez posted...
Background, not a previous God of War fan. I know bits of lore and thought the first game was pretty good in story execution from what I heard. The combat I was never big into because I preferred the pace of games like DMC or NG.

Coming into this game I was already impressed with the issue 0 comic because it started addressing my exact problems I had with Kratos, that from GoW2 onwards his only personality, at least that I saw from promotional material, was raging like an endless tantrum and killing things brutally, only stopping to tap some ass. Right off the bat, he's struggling with his anger and that's already got me invested because I want to see whether or not he breaks from this.

Starting the game proper, that intro is masterfully crafted. I knew it would have small deviations from the initial E3 reveal, instantly I was impressed with the combat because the E3 reveal made that look kind of clumsy and slow. Playing for myself, it feels very good, controls are tight and there is a good number of methods of cancelling certain moves. The first boss fight, man that is really well done. The way the scene builds, the back-and-forth, invoking Kratos' Spartan Rage, altogether it was an incredible intro.

Playing through the game, really surprised how well paced things are. The side quests are fun to go through and because of just a bit of dialogue, I don't have too much of that feeling that I'm ignoring the main quest for these side quests, "obtaining resources" to help them on their journey works as an excuse. Also I do like Kratos' reactions to a lot of these side quests, especially some of his reasoning for taking on certain quests.

In terms of the acting I'm finding it top notch. The scene where Kratos' is travelling slowly to his house to dig up the past. You can feel the tension, feel the anger he is trying to suppress, and the struggle to keep himself collected while knowing he needs to act now, but is prevented from doing so because of this damn long boat ride. Another scene that really stands out to me is the scene in Alfheim after Kratos' comes back from the light.

Having the game treated as "one continuous camera shot" is a design choice I really dig, really lends a more cinematic feel to the whole experience.

Currently I'm in the process of accessing Tyr's Vault the second time after the initial, ahem, distraction. I've taken down four Valkyries now and they have been great challenges, looking forward to the final one as I heard she has the abilities of the other eight combined which sounds...great! XD

So yeah, what the hell was I thinking leaving this game so late to play? Very impressed with this game, while I had MonHun hanging to GoW purely for the fantastic experience Cory Barlog and his team d very few clipping issues, seen very little late texture loading, and have been stuck in ever since I downloaded it after TGAs.

I agree with everything yoi said. keep playing the game gets even more amazing

egpNoodlez posted...
chang3ling posted...

Absolutely. It's just a clickbait topic title...I may be a little not-busy at work XD

I agree you should play what you like but theres huge discussions as to what game should have won goty like this
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/200179-red-dead-redemption-2/77281518?page=41#411

Is this silly to you?
"Legendary guardian ? I was just a boy. A boy about your age actually. I wanted to change the world too.But I changed nothing. That is my story" Auron

egpNoodlez
2 months ago#10
shyloy posted...
I agree with everything yoi said. keep playing the game gets even more amazing

I should mention at this point, I've 100%'d and platinumed. Absolutely loved it from start to finish, there are so many moments that pull you in and make you feel the moment you're playing, that ludonarrative consistency!

For example, when Artreus finally finds out he is a God and starts acting like a total dick, then Baldur kidnaps him and you cut the dragon's wing as you fall off. That run into the transport room, sprinting past a bewildered Brok, the whole time my heart is racing like "s*** I need to get this Baldur guy and rescue my BOY".

Then on the other side you have the ending when you finally scatter Faye's ashes, the revelations before that were already mind blowing, but then to be met with the calmness of the end of the journey, the gentle returning of Faye's ashes to her homeland, there's a great combination of melancholy and triumph at a job well done and a road well travelled.

If I have time I want to replay on Give Me God Of War difficulty. I played normal and it was good until I got Kratos to about level 6 or 7, from there I bodied pretty much everything with no challenge which was a shame, Sidrun took me two tries (only died first time because I kept trying Blades of Chaos but couldn't switch back to Leaviathan Axe in time to throw anti-air her area attack). I first fought Valkyries at level 4 or 5 and that was a great challenge, half an hour of learning each one, that is when I definitely got gud at the combat.
  1. Boards
  2. God of War
  3. Well it won GOTY. Guess I gotta play it *spoilers*
  • Topic Archived