• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. God of War
  3. Doing my first playthrough. Give me some tips!

User Info: lww99

lww99
1 month ago#1
Just finished “The Stranger”
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/nhottbarbwire/owningroad_zps2333f502.gif

User Info: SBK91

SBK91
1 month ago#2
-Knock everything over cliffs/toss into water/lava that you can. Knocking enemies into walls inflicts a big chunk of stun, and attacking from behind massively increases stun inflicted (while allowing attacks that normally wouldn't inflict stun to do so).
-Runics and Cleave will still stagger (and ringout) higher level enemies.
-Most of your direct damage will come from Runics, Rage and Boy's elemental arrows. The rest of your moveset is for stun or to support those (running out the time as they regenerate).
-Ignoring Runics, the overall movesets for the Axe and Blades are pretty ass. The Axe is only good for Cleave, hitting an enemy from behind with the held light input (easily the fastest stun builder in the game), chipping from a distance with ranged attacks, and chipping away at single enemies once you've run out of Runics/Rage (not recommended unless you have nothing better to do). The Blades are only really good for their pause strings (by far the most damaging normals in the game) and Elemental Surge (best way to kill groups of trash via direct damage when paired with Lightning arrows).
-Unarmed is ironically amazing. Stun is generally more effective than direct damage against mobs (that aren't higher leveled than you) when you don't have resources to burn and the only normal that matches unarmed for stun generation is the Axe's held light input. Unarmed's heavy pause string is arguably the best string in the game for its combination of damage, stun damage, range, knockback (knocking things into walls/over cliffs), invincibility on the lunging portion and chaining into anything. In particular, unarmed's running heavy into the heavy pause string gives you a very mobile knockback tool. Other highlights of unarmed include the evade input, gong smash and shield sweep.
-Level is the most important stat by far and your first priority, followed by Runic. Tyr's set is the best for most of the game owed to having three slots on all the pieces.
-Recommend maxing Hel's Touch and Ivaldi's Anvil soon as you get them. They are both among the better Runics in their respective categories, especially Hel's Touch, which is good for creating openings for other Runics (like Glaive Storm).
-The best Summons are the wolves and crows by far.
-Max Boy's skills immediately, his elemental arrows are both extremely potent.
-On GMGOW, using Cleave on wolves and tatzelwurms when they're at half health or less is an instant kill.
-For Rage, the best attack to use against large enemies is the rock toss (high damage, range, partially invincible). The uncharged L1 is the most Rage efficient attack otherwise (very good for Travelers), while the charged heavy input is good for groups.
-The best talismans in New Game are the Amulet of Kvasir, Talisman of Unbound Potential, Talisman of Eternal Fury (for building Rage outside combat between fights), Charm of Infinite Storms and Shattered Gauntlet of the Ages.
-Mashing light attacks with the Axe while Blessing of the Frost is active is one of the highest DPS sources in the game and stunlocks a lot of enemies, including troll bosses.
-The easiest way of dealing with the hammer wielding draugr is to hit them in the back with the Axe's held light input until they're stunned, grab them then toss them over a cliff/into a hazard. Hel's Touch->held light input easily achieves this, or just run behind them after a swing.
-For tatzelwurms later on, shoot them with Lightning arrows until they're shocked, then run behind them and use the Axe's held light input. They should be stunned instantly, grab them for an instant kill.

User Info: _Random___Name_

_Random___Name_
1 month ago#3
First tip is you are still very early. Depending on your difficulty level, you are still quite a few hard battles away from your first shop. But when you do get to shops, upgrade Atreus first. His arrows are always free damage and he is always clutch in battle.

On any difficulty, the early going is rough. Don't get discouraged about the early difficulty because the battle system really opens up later. Talismans, enchantments, and runics change everything about how the battle system feels later on. So if you encounter trouble, stick with it.

Executioners cleave is really powerful ability, you should buy it and learn to set up enemies for it. It is available to buy for 500XP and its available immediately. No axe upgrade required. Its the first ability I buy in a regular NG on GMGOW. It does a ton of damage and its the first ability that reminded me of earlier games because if you land it on an enemy, you get invincibility frames. You can get hit in the slow windup which is a tradeoff, but once it lands, the resulting animation is all i-frames.

Upgrading your armor is nice and upgrading the early armors will get you some okay boosts, but the first real bump up in power is buying the Tyr's Armor set which has good stats and is the first armor set that when upgraded, gives you 3 enchantment slots. Some side quests will give you an Offering to Tyr material which you should go straight to a shop and exchange it immediately for some great mid tier armor which will basically tie you over to end game. The game does not make it much of a highlight of just how substantial Offering to Tyr's Materials are and I glossed over Tyr's armor set on my first playthrough because of it. As a side note, it becomes very obvious when the game opens up for side questing, obviously you should do it ASAP.

Edit: In my defense, I'm a slow at typing and my redundant advice was without knowledge of the above post already being posted. Yeah, I'm that slow.

lww99
1 month ago#4
Damn, I don’t recognize half of that stuff.

Boah just got his bow recently.

Unarmed combat is pretty damn strong

User Info: chang3ling

chang3ling
1 month ago#5
lww99 posted...
Damn, I don’t recognize half of that stuff.

He gave you a lot of advanced combat tips, so I'm not surprised you haven't seen most of it yet.

lww99 posted...
Unarmed combat is pretty damn strong

Unarmed combat is the best way to build Stun on an enemy; depending on your difficulty level Unarmed may be your best bet for a while. On Normal and lower you don't need to worry about Stun etc. really.
~The trance is the motion

lww99
1 month ago#6
I’m playing on normal currently. I didn’t want an excessive challenge.

User Info: coolblackknight

coolblackknight
1 month ago#7
Keep going... You're gonna be fine.

"Handle yo Scandal !!!"

User Info: Anti-245

Anti-245
1 month ago#8
Amp up before you reach Alfheim.
Life in the DoB.

lww99
1 month ago#9
This game is beautiful

lww99
1 month ago#10
AND Kratos, would you just pat/comfort your son already?!
  1. Boards
  2. God of War
  3. Doing my first playthrough. Give me some tips!
  • Topic Archived