• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. God of War
  3. What are your biggest gripes?

User Info: SBK91

SBK91
1 month ago#51
chang3ling posted...
I don't know what "Let's Play" is.

You can't be serious.

I don't know what you call that.

Confirmation bias.

Looking it up, the old games all have very good reviews.

They didn't have idiots calling them the greatest games of all time.

User Info: JCuster

JCuster
1 month ago#52
Camera, Camera, Camera. I don't mind the story, or QTEs being reduced, but the combat camera blows. I like to keep all of my enemies where I can see them in other hack/slash titles. Waiting to see an arrow on Kratos's butt or Mimir constantly yelling at me to watch out gets old. Not to mention the "early game hell" trope is in full effect here. Granted, I started on a higher difficulty, and for what it's worth I have 3 more valkyries to kill, but I didn't expect the soulsdark formula coupled with a shoddy camera with this one...
Only if you say the word "Monkey."

User Info: chang3ling

chang3ling
1 month ago#53
SBK91 posted...
chang3ling posted...
I don't know what "Let's Play" is.

You can't be serious.

Ok? You have no idea what my media intake is. I don't touch youtube or twitter, and I barely touch facebook. I mostly play single-player games. My only source of news is NPR. NPR isn't exactly known for video game things.
You just lost any credibility you had. You aren't conversing or arguing; you assume you're right and your worldview is the same everyone else has. You know A, so everyone knows A, and if they have a different opinion they're wrong.

SBK91 posted...
Looking it up, the old games all have very good reviews.

They didn't have idiots calling them the greatest games of all time.

Maybe they should have.
~The trance is the motion

SBK91
1 month ago#54
chang3ling posted...
You just lost any credibility you had.

Yes, you not knowing what one of my examples was referencing completely invalidates everything else I've said.

You aren't conversing or arguing

I'm pretty sure 'appealing to popularity isn't an argument' is an argument.

You know A, so everyone knows A

Yes, how presumptuous of me to assume someone who takes the time to argue about a video game in a niche genre on an internet forum would know about a common piece of internet culture.

and if they have a different opinion they're wrong.

Do you have something else to offer besides well poisoning?

Maybe they should have.

Why? Don't think those shills were shilling hard enough?

User Info: chang3ling

chang3ling
1 month ago#55
SBK91 posted...
Yes, you not knowing what one of my examples was referencing completely invalidates everything else I've said.

It's pieces of the puzzle. You bring it up as a salient part of the argument as though everyone partakes. Not believing that some people could have come across this game in a completely different fashion than you've worked out for yourself.
And not believing that some people could have enjoyed this game without someone telling them to.

You're a bitter person who can't change. I've seen dozens of posts from you that are about the same as you've said in this conversation. You hold old God of War to a standard and can't enjoy the change. Go play something else.
~The trance is the motion

User Info: SlaveofHelios

SlaveofHelios
1 month ago#56
Probably my biggest gripe is they added in a ton of RPG elements, but they don't actually help with role playing.

You can make a defense build, sure, and then you can still die in one hit because Level is by far the most important stat. Then you can switch to a Runic/Cooldown, but you'll still have great attack and defense because your level went up and the runic armor you get for free in chests has better defense than anything you buy.

There's a hundred thousand s***ty little equips with minuscule effects like "+2 Defense" (out of what, like 200?) or "Low Chance for a Rage burst when you hit an enemy with the axe recall" that only serve to fill the map with junk.

The level system outweighs everything except the difficulty setting, and everything else is just so much fluff you can tweak endlessly but not really see much effect because everything except Level is so granular.

And none of it has as much of a 'roleplaying' feeling as, say, using Apollo's Bow with the Apollo costume in GoW3.

User Info: Muflaggin

Muflaggin
1 month ago#57
SBK91 posted...
Muflaggin posted...
this game still s***s on the original trilogy.

Correct, it is a stain on the legacy of the series (bastardized into a s***ty Souls Action RPG *with the RPG part being horrific*).

NOTE: How many Lv 1 runs have you done again? Surely you'd be willing to delve deeper into a game you claim to like, right?

And somehow that "bastardized" game still s***s on the originals. Next.
LightSnake: "Sigh....I might've been wrong about a lot this time."
Terra-enforcer: "You were right. I was wrong. I'm a filthy welcher."

User Info: Muflaggin

Muflaggin
1 month ago#58
JCuster posted...
Camera, Camera, Camera. I don't mind the story, or QTEs being reduced, but the combat camera blows. I like to keep all of my enemies where I can see them in other hack/slash titles. Waiting to see an arrow on Kratos's butt or Mimir constantly yelling at me to watch out gets old. Not to mention the "early game hell" trope is in full effect here. Granted, I started on a higher difficulty, and for what it's worth I have 3 more valkyries to kill, but I didn't expect the soulsdark formula coupled with a shoddy camera with this one...

Nope. Camera is great and adds tension.
LightSnake: "Sigh....I might've been wrong about a lot this time."
Terra-enforcer: "You were right. I was wrong. I'm a filthy welcher."

User Info: FreeMan5407

FreeMan5407
1 month ago#59
SlaveofHelios posted...
Probably my biggest gripe is they added in a ton of RPG elements, but they don't actually help with role playing.

You can make a defense build, sure, and then you can still die in one hit because Level is by far the most important stat. Then you can switch to a Runic/Cooldown, but you'll still have great attack and defense because your level went up and the runic armor you get for free in chests has better defense than anything you buy.

There's a hundred thousand s***ty little equips with minuscule effects like "+2 Defense" (out of what, like 200?) or "Low Chance for a Rage burst when you hit an enemy with the axe recall" that only serve to fill the map with junk.

The level system outweighs everything except the difficulty setting, and everything else is just so much fluff you can tweak endlessly but not really see much effect because everything except Level is so granular.

And none of it has as much of a 'roleplaying' feeling as, say, using Apollo's Bow with the Apollo costume in GoW3.

That could be true , although i agree the leveling system is mess up , however you can reach level 10 with any high tier armor and each armor is specific for certain stats

Definetely need revamp , or perhaps a combat style switch like a tank , agile etc.. probably those options will be better
The Witcher 3 , Bloodborne and God of War are the best games of this gen

SBK91
1 month ago#60
chang3ling posted...
It's pieces of the puzzle.

Considering common knowledge to be...common?

Not believing that some people could have come across this game in a completely different fashion than you've worked out for yourself.

You think I believe everyone approaches it from an efficiency mindset?

And not believing that some people could have enjoyed this game without someone telling them to.

Where did I say that? Marketing feeding confirmation bias isn't needed, but it certainly helps and spreads the word.

You're a bitter person who can't change.

Because I don't buy others liking a video game as proof it's good?

You hold old God of War to a standard

Yes, how awful to hold a game up to the standards of its predecessor.

and can't enjoy the change.

Because it sucked. It isn't just a change of identity but the new one being flatout bad (unlike RE4, which was also a break with its own series but was fantastic).

SlaveofHelios posted...

Simply awful. Calling it amateur hour would be far too generous for the clowns of the dev team. Who the f*** thought it was a good idea to tie hit properties to level? Aren't we at a big enough disadvantage against higher level foes already? They managed to go even beyond standard JRPG tripe in making statuses useless. Why is our capacity to mix and match functional abilities so f***ing limited? Why are stats so piss weak in general? There's only three damage formulas far as I can tell (STR scaling, Runic scaling and DoTs) and I'm not even sure there's that many. Why? Where's the abilities to work around having low stats (for challenge runs/minmaxing)? Or the ones which suck at base, but scale better to compensate? HP% based damage? Then there is the disaster that is Luck (as you touched upon with so many of the bonuses amounting to s*** while having stupid proc conditions). How about some enemy weaknesses? Zelda, DMC1/3, KH, Bloodborne and classic RE all do them well for an actiony combat system, what's nu GoW's excuse?

Well said.

Muflaggin posted...
And somehow that "bastardized" game still s***s on the originals.

By tainting their legacy, yes, we've been over this. Also, why do you continue to duck the Lv 1 question? Have you not done one?
  1. Boards
  2. God of War
  3. What are your biggest gripes?
  • Topic Archived