• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Steep
  3. Thank you PS+

User Info: PsychoD_Boy

PsychoD_Boy
9 months ago#1
Because if I would have actually paid for this game I would’ve been pissed. Which is a shame because I’ve had my eye on it since launch and really wanted to like it.

The speed is waaaaay to much and makes any fine turning impossible. I get it. You’re going down a snow covered mountain. Neat. But don’t throw races into the game that require you to ride with precision at full speed through trees. Sure you can try to slow down but if you do your screwed on time.

The trick controls are an unresponsive mess. Half the time it doesn’t even acknowledge your input and you end up just flying lazily through the air. Not good when you’re doing a challenge that requires a certain score before the finish line in an area that has limited things to ramp off of. I get that you have to start the movement right at the jump or nothing really happens. And up to a certain point I had zero issues with that but the game suddenly started disregarding all input on launch.

The camera is absolute garbage. The camera aims downhill but sometimes you really need it to go in the direction you’re facing. Example. You hit a small jump and you randomly get thrown off to the left or right of where you should actually land. Kinda need to be able to see where you’re going right? Nope downhill it is!

The g force. Cool idea but badly done. Small jumps giving massive depletion or large jumps giving next to nothing is a constant. Couple this with the game showing you a line to hit for jumps to help you with a challenge and you’ll be failing in no time. This added to everything else I’ve mentioned means lots of restarts.

All in all I’m really glad I didn’t pick this up when I initially wanted to. If you have fun with the game good for you but I can’t stand it.
The secret ingredient is phone.
(edited 9 months ago)

User Info: You_Need_A_Life

You_Need_A_Life
9 months ago#2
Agreed about the camera. It’s annoying, and having to hold L1 to manually look around is dumb.

Everything else is just you blowing things way out of proportion.

If you want a similar game but with less arcade-like gameplay, you could give Infinite Air a try, if you haven’t. It’s pretty realistic and has solid mechanics.
For any whom this post happens to offend, I can get you a great deal on a spine.

PsychoD_Boy
9 months ago#3
You_Need_A_Life posted...
Agreed about the camera. It’s annoying, and having to hold L1 to manually look around is dumb.

Everything else is just you blowing things way out of proportion.

If you want a similar game but with less arcade-like gameplay, you could give Infinite Air a try, if you haven’t. It’s pretty realistic and has solid mechanics.

Yeah I was thoroughly bothered when I wrote it so blowing it out of proportion is possible. :p

And I have not heard of Infinite Air. I’ll look into it. Thanks.

PsychoD_Boy
9 months ago#4
Bought Infinite Air since it was $7. It’s ok but there are a few issues I have with it. I don’t want to write an essay like my angry one above so I’ll just short list it.

Actually learning what you’re doing

Dislikes
Trick scoring system
Trick recognition

Hopefully the developers have plans on refining their work and make a sequel. Had a solid Skate vibe to it and I loved Skate.

User Info: You_Need_A_Life

You_Need_A_Life
9 months ago#5
If Steep had Infinite Air’s gameplay mehanics, it’d be a winner.

Infinite Air’s mountain creator is definitely amazing though. You could practically recreate all of Steep and its events if you wanted to. The single player kinda sucked, and felt more like a training mode, but the gameplay itself is really good. Takes a lot of time to master though, but well worth it.
For any whom this post happens to offend, I can get you a great deal on a spine.

User Info: Solioxrz362

Solioxrz362
6 months ago#6
Actually, I agree with just about everything you said in the original post. This game gives you no control at any speed past medium, and some of the race challenges are impossible because you can't fine tune your maneuvering past trees and bumps at the speed the timer is asking for. Camera sucks too. G-Force numbers are entirely inconsistent and the hit detection is trash.

You had everything pretty spot on, I don't think you were blowing ANYTHING out of proportion
Got a brand new blues that I can't explain

PsychoD_Boy
6 months ago#7
Some of the races are clearly meant for you to go flat out but I’ve adopted a Rally stance on most of them. Go as fast as possible but still maintain the highest level of control. Doing so I’ve gold medaled all but 2 races in the game and all of the DLC races. I can only get silver on Lumberjack because of the start of the race being tree plinko and I can’t even finish the bobsled track race. I always bork up a specific turn or if I get passed that part I end up over steering up and over a wall.

My main gripe with the game now is player collision in multiplayer lobbies. Bumping into a player in a trick contest can either kill your speed and bork you (halfpipe challenge), give you so much G-force damage that any bump wrecks you instantly (even the impact of a small jump) or just wreck you out instantly causing you to lose your multiplier and not be able to score enough. The issue can be gotten around by letting all of the other players start the competition first and give them a 30 second head start to space everybody out.

Races are a different story. You absolutely have to go as soon as the event starts and I’ve seen people intentionally ram others so they can get ahead. A bump at the start of a race not only puts your G-force at a 1 hit KO level but also either drops your speed to a crawl or MAKES YOU RIDE BACKWARDS INSTANTLY.

User Info: Solioxrz362

Solioxrz362
6 months ago#8
I got gold on Lumberjack! It's a lot of luck and praying lol

Even after the highly luck-based start to it, it's still pretty luck based once you're out of the trees. You still have to maintain a good speed, but there's a million little bumps and hills in the snow after the start that'll make you lose all control. It's terrible
Got a brand new blues that I can't explain

PsychoD_Boy
6 months ago#9
I don’t doubt it’s doable but I don’t care for the frustration in the mean time so it’s no big deal to me. I just log in and ride around and have fun.

Don’t know if you’ve attempted Vallec Village yet but word of advice. The last checkpoint before the finish line is in a bad spot. If you go to the right of the tree you’ll be shot off of a bump thanks to your speed and you’ll get a couple seconds added to your time. If you try hugging the tree you’ll wreck because the tree doesn’t work like a normal tree. Normally you can go through branches and be fine but the tree in question for some reason has all parts of it set as an instant bail.

Riding towards the tree there is a tiny TINY portion of the checkpoint to the left of the tree. That’s your target. It may take a few attempts to hit it just right but in the 100+ attempts I made on the race that tiny portion is the only way I’ve been able to hit the checkpoint and get gold.

User Info: Ite

Ite
6 months ago#10
Thank you PS+ for letting me play the game enjoy it and buy all the DLCs.
  1. Boards
  2. Steep
  3. Thank you PS+
  • Post New Message