You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. My thoughts on Letter From a Friend
PersonFriend194 3 months ago#1
He could've had the Greybeards write it for him and get a courier to send it to you. I know people probably aren't gonna see this, but I'm gonna say my thoughts about the letter. So, I think Paarthurnax sends the letter. Think about it. He's in connection with the greybeards, who call you to their temple and eventually send you up to him. Not to mention, he would probably know where all the word walls were because he probably knew about their creation, maybe even helped. Then finally, the 'Not everyone is anxious for the return of the Dragonborn.' could mean that the dragons don't want your return. He could have had the Greybeards write the letter for him and get a courier to bring it to you.
ssn560 3 months ago#2
Hermaeus Mora, you don't have to think about it too much.

You can eliminate about all other possibilities by letters coming after death or before you meet people. Also, they always know where you are and what you are doing. HM wants you as his champion, and he is keeping close tabs.
(message deleted)
Red_Baron07 3 months ago#4
Or, and hear me out, its the devs lazy way of notifying you of a companion death and they didn't want to waste time or resources going any deeper than a random courier notice.
Complacency kills. Get off your ass, get the job done and quit complaining. Do PT. Nuff said.
0UT0FTH3G4M3R 3 months ago#5
I also think its Hermaeus Mora, because it's triggered by you using a shout. And it doesn't matter where you are when you use the shout: Tamriel, Soul Cairn, Apocrypha, etc.

I don't think that any living being, including Paarthrnax, could know if you are using a shout in the soul cairn or apocrypha. Only a daedric prince or an aedric entity could do that. Old Herma Mora seems to have more involvement with the dragonborn than any other daedric or aedric entity, so it makes the most sense.
The petty squabbles of lesser men and the common rabble are of no greater concern to my grand design.
agentspoon 3 months ago#6
0UT0FTH3G4M3R posted...
aedric entity

You realise that all Dragons come from Akatosh right? And when the DB or Dragons use Shouts they are speaking stuff into reality?

We already know from Paarthurnax that just speaking a Dragons name means they hear it, no matter where they are which is what allows you to summon Odahviing.

My point is that Dragons are Aedric beings and Shouts transcend the rules due to them being reality warping meaning it's more likely that it's Paathurnax who hears "a new Voice".
What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!
Olld-Onne 3 months ago#7
The problem with the other areas is most are DLC and did not exist before. The letter itself sounds nothing like Hermaeus either even if he was trying to be blunt and to the point. It almost certainly Delphine who sending them.

How she knows you shouted in the Soul Cairn is any ones guess but do remember she outright says she be keeping tabs on you from Helgen and in order to get shouts you usually have to kill a dragon at a dragon mound to get it, so two for one. I doubt Hermaeus ever calls anything his friend not even to dupe them into his clutches.

The wording also fits her fake servitude speeches that cover up her intense hatred of anything winged and the fact she not clear what following means. After all the Courier can show up in weird places so it likely just an oversight that the letter can include almost any area in game as long as you meet the requirement of shouting and have not currently got a letter word waiting for pick up.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
(edited 3 months ago)
agentspoon 3 months ago#8
Durnehviir hears your Voice in a different dimension, and he's bound to the Soul Cairn. You speak his name, and he is compelled to obey even despite the Ideal Masters making it impossible for him to leave. The Thu'um trumps the Ideal Masters magics.
What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!
Nepharen 3 months ago#9
Talos or kynareth. We’ve seen avatars of the divines interact with the player in morrowind and Karita is theorized to be an avatar of kynareth based on when she shows up, which tablet she’s in front of, and the books she carries. It doesn’t seem a stretch that “Karita” could be our friend in the letters
Olld-Onne 3 months ago#10
Nepharen posted...
Talos or kynareth. We’ve seen avatars of the divines interact with the player in morrowind and Karita is theorized to be an avatar of kynareth based on when she shows up, which tablet she’s in front of, and the books she carries. It doesn’t seem a stretch that “Karita” could be our friend in the letters
It would be more funny if the OTHER karita was the one sending the letters. The courier is actually singing when he talks, at least according to her instruction anyway. XD
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. My thoughts on Letter From a Friend