• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. Why do NPCs randomly die in Windhelm?

User Info: Twiztid3477

Twiztid3477
3 days ago#1
I've had Arivanya, Hillevi Cruel Sea and Angrenor Once Honored randomly die (not at the same time of course) when i travel to or away from Windhelm. I know this because i get a letter of inheritance, and i usually reload a save when this happens. Any one else have this problem? This does not happen to me for any of the other holds.

edit: Hmm...I remember when i fast traveled to Windhelm one time it teleported me and my horse up in the air over the bridge and we took a little fall damage. I wonder if that is what is going on with the NPC deaths...i have seen that happen with Mammoths falling to their death out in the wild. I do have the cheat room installed so maybe i can set them to essential.
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: masterpug53

masterpug53
3 days ago#2
On rare occasions, NPCs in walled cities spawn earlier than the ground beneath them when loading the cell, causing them to clip through the ground and plummet to their deaths in the void below - happens in both Oldrim and SSE. This seems to be exacerbated when loading the cell from a far away point. Take Nilsine Shatter-Shield for instance, who in my experience is the most likely NPC to die this way - if you happen to be exiting any building in the Gray Quarter during the roughly 12-3pm window she walks the manor district (on the far opposite end of town), there's a high chance she'll clip through the ground upon loading the cell and die (now that mods and no-clipping is available, I've been able to go down below the ground myself and find her corpse when this happens, though casting a Detect Dead spell can give you the same confirmation).

Windhelm's probably the worst offender of this, though Solitude and Whiterun have claimed a few casualties this way in my time. Markarth occasionally kills a guard this way, but it and Riften are compact enough horizontally that I don't think I've ever lost a named NPC this way in these towns.
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.

Twiztid3477
2 days ago#3
Interesting. Now that you mention it i remember Beirand straight up disappeared in Solitude on one of my other characters. I always have mods installed that disable random dragon, vampire (before beth removed them), and hearthfire attacks so i knew they didn't die from creatures. Would making NPCs essential fix this problem you think? They would teleport out of the void and back to the city after a while yes?

User Info: ssn560

ssn560
2 days ago#4
Vampire attacks?

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
2 days ago#5
Get Arthmoors courier service. It places that service in front of the honeybrew meadery. talk to the courier and select the option that you will pick up packages in person.

This might not prevent the npc from dying, but you will never get the notice, and once you never knew it happened you will never care about it ever again.

Yes this also prevents you getting the message from the Jarl of Falkreath at lvl 8+ and prevents you getting the invitation to "grant" opening of the museum in Dawnstar....or the creepy messages from your personal stalker.
Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

Twiztid3477
2 days ago#6
Nah i would rather know if they die from stuff like this so i can reload. I don't like the cities being too empty from dead NPCs. This the main problem i have with the stupid random dragon/vampire/hearthfire creature attacks mechanic.Those attacks can keep happening but if creatures kill townsfolk they are gone forever.

ssn560 posted...
Vampire attacks?

You don't remember the random vampire attacks that came with Dawnguard? It usually happened when you fast traveled somewhere and it happened to be night when you arrive. The attacks could happen across town too so you would sometimes not know it was going on. I hear Beth removed it though thankfully. Probably because so many people were complaining about dead merchants. Any mechanic with infinitely spawning enemy attacks against a finite number of non replaceable NPCs is a problem imo.
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: masterpug53

masterpug53
2 days ago#7
Twiztid3477 posted...
Interesting. Now that you mention it i remember Beirand straight up disappeared in Solitude on one of my other characters. I always have mods installed that disable random dragon, vampire (before beth removed them), and hearthfire attacks so i knew they didn't die from creatures. Would making NPCs essential fix this problem you think? They would teleport out of the void and back to the city after a while yes?

Yes, making them essential would fix the problem - they die from fall damage when they clip through the 'normal' ground and hit the unused ground texture beneath (you can see it yourself if you no-clip through the ground). Villagers tend to not be a very high level, so it doesn't take a lot of fall distance to kill them. On the other hand, if this happens and they're essential, they'll do the kneeling animation and then be stuck down there for a little while, but they'll resume their normal schedule when you leave the city and come back. I think Cheat Room lets you make NPCs essential, but I personally use the following mod because it gives me greater control over adding / removing essential and protected statuses: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim/mod-detail/3224824

And you are correct, the random vampire attacks in the five walled cities were disabled with the first Creation Club update (hence why the Vampires Suck mod was taken off of Beth.net, since it was no longer necessary). Supposedly you can still get vamp attacks in the smaller un-walled cities up until you complete the Dawnguard questline, but as of yet I haven't seen one (though I do tend to go through the DG questline pretty quickly).
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.
(edited 2 days ago)

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
2 days ago#8
masterpug53 posted...
she walks the manor district
Yeah, the ground in front of Giordano's place is a death trap for NPCs. They only fall like fifteen feet, but for most level NPCs that's more than enough to kill them.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
1 day ago#9
Maybe the "Run for your lives" mod might be something for vampires or dragons.

Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

Twiztid3477
1 day ago#10
I think i will stick with the cheat room on this character since i have already used the essential spell on most NPCs in Windhelm. I will try that other mod when i start a new character.

Spacefrisian posted...
Maybe the "Run for your lives" mod might be something for vampires or dragons.

If it does what it sounds like it could be helpful, but i would prefer to disable those attacks entirely just in case. At least we have mods to address this now though. I remember when i played this on the 360 i used to dread walking out of the Dawnstar Jarls house because a random dragon attack might happen, or walk out of Arcadias store in Whiterun to find Adrianne Avenicci and/or Belethor slain by vampires. Needless to say i reloaded saves often back then.
(edited 1 day ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. Why do NPCs randomly die in Windhelm?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A