• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. Civil war poll (not which side do you like best)

User Info: Ritalinfiend

Ritalinfiend
2 months ago#1
Which civil war faction makes the most sense with the overall story? (Not which one do you like)

Not talking about which faction do you like. I hate the Stormcloaks. They are basically written like white nationalists, but the Dark Brotherhood questline and some other side quests don’t make much sense if done as a Empire supporter. Plus it really feels weird escaping with Hadvaar in the beginning of the game. Which side makes more sense to you just in terms of story writing?
"Candy. Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy."

User Info: SkoomaDealer

SkoomaDealer
2 months ago#2
You can support the Empire but dislike the boot licker Emperor. As a Dragon Born it was inevitable that the Emperor was in for early retirement.

User Info: Nepharen

Nepharen
2 months ago#3
What always made the most sense to me was neutrality...

Straight up joining the stormcloaks straight out of helgen seems like it’d be the answer but if this is the first thing you do then the first time you meet Baalgruf is as a stormcloak messenger when he then asks for your help with the dragons. Following up on this then asking for his answer to whether or not he’ll join Ulfric, he literally sides against the guy who killed the dragon terrorizing his people and is surprised that you’re with the stormcloaks taking his city.

It also doesn’t make sense to join the imperials right out the gate seeing how they treated you in helgen but at least Baalgruf doesn’t have the same absent mindedness if you continue with the civil war.

Seems like you were meant to start the civil war but stop once you hit dragonborn status. Then try for a truce with season unending either before or after the battle of whiterun depending on which side you chose. Before if stormcloaks, after if empire. This opens up extra dialogue with ulfric and gives you a taste of the civil war but the realization that there are more pressing matters to attend to and a method to “end” the questline on a point that doesn’t leave a bunch of holes.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#4
I was going to say neither but someone has ninjaed that lol. It does not matter at all. The next instalment will tell you what happened in the end but not how it got there or the details of the parties involved. Ulfric will probably be dead either way though if that letter is anything to go by.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
(edited 2 months ago)

Ritalinfiend
2 months ago#5
Olld-Onne posted...
I was going to say neither but someone has ninjaed that lol. It does not matter at all. The next instalment will tell you what happened in the end but not how it got there or the details of the parties involved. Ulfric will probably be dead either way though if that letter is anything to go by.

What letter?

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
2 months ago#6
Nepharen posted...
What always made the most sense to me was neutrality...

Straight up joining the stormcloaks straight out of helgen seems like it’d be the answer but if this is the first thing you do then the first time you meet Baalgruf is as a stormcloak messenger when he then asks for your help with the dragons. Following up on this then asking for his answer to whether or not he’ll join Ulfric, he literally sides against the guy who killed the dragon terrorizing his people and is surprised that you’re with the stormcloaks taking his city.

It also doesn’t make sense to join the imperials right out the gate seeing how they treated you in helgen but at least Baalgruf doesn’t have the same absent mindedness if you continue with the civil war.

Seems like you were meant to start the civil war but stop once you hit dragonborn status. Then try for a truce with season unending either before or after the battle of whiterun depending on which side you chose. Before if stormcloaks, after if empire. This opens up extra dialogue with ulfric and gives you a taste of the civil war but the realization that there are more pressing matters to attend to and a method to “end” the questline on a point that doesn’t leave a bunch of holes.

Emil story writting in a nutshell. Something happens, but it doesnt matter cause it has already been decided.
Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x8sRkr4Bso
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

Ritalinfiend
2 months ago#8
Olld-Onne posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x8sRkr4Bso

Nice! Thanks for that.

User Info: Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian
2 months ago#9
It should be obvious who wins after the Dragonborn finds certain documents in a certain embasy during the main quest.....Well any sane thinking Dragonborn or Dragonborn with evil intentions.
Sanctus Dominus Infernus ad Astra
Regus Kobalus....cast unholy fire

User Info: ssn560

ssn560
2 months ago#10
I chose the 'cloaks because it didn't make any sense to me to throw in with the side that just tried to kill me. Why should you fight a dragon for the great privilege of getting to be executed if they win? Yes it would be noble of them to stay and protect the citizens, but they do go a long way to try to kill the player during the escape while you are unarmed and helpless.

Besides, the likely canon is what happened in the main quest.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. Civil war poll (not which side do you like best)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers