• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. Light armor or alteration for vampire lord build?

User Info: KestrelFive

KestrelFive
1 month ago#1
Hey all, I’m playing thru vanilla Skyrim again in a way I have never played before: an illusion-focused vampire lord, with a bit of nightblade thrown in.

Main skills are: Illusion, Conjuration, Sneak, One handed, archery (plus Resto for the necromage perk). Playstyle is mostly using illusion to pacify/frenzy and invisibility, with sneak for helping remain on the fringes and shadow warrior to manage flow of combat. I’ll use Harkon’s sword for stealth melee kills and a bound bow for ranged combat/dragons (since destruction isn’t great in vanilla I usually save Destro for modded builds.) I will also use the Dragonborn DLC to rearrange points into enchanting and/or smithing when I need them, but otherwise those points will reside in other skill trees.

Question: I am planning to play on adept or higher difficulty and will probably use the vampire royal armor set for aesthetics/RP. Am I better off investing in a alteration or putting some points into light armor?
I used to have a signature like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

User Info: BOINK1

BOINK1
1 month ago#2
Do both - I would

plus you have Illusion tree you can get quiet casting

which is great to use to get your stone or iron skin spell on

then go into combat without alerting anyone to your presence

User Info: ErikoChristy

ErikoChristy
1 month ago#3
Destruction isn't great in vanilla? Personally, I find the Adept Destruction spells more useful than Expert and Master Destruction. To answer your question, I'll put more points towards light armor first, especially when playing on a higher difficulty. What's your standing stone?
Skyrim tips, tricks, secrets, and more at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/skyrim/
Youtube@Amelia Chaveliar

User Info: KestrelFive

KestrelFive
1 month ago#4
Thanks, I ended up re-starting my build to fracture more destruction magic (has more of a vampire feel than archery). I will try to do both, in the sense that I’ll wear light armor but maybe invest some minimum perks into alteration.

I have a secondary question now: how do I get my character to not feel SO WEAK? I have been struggling with quests and dungeons, (I have never struggled with a Skyrim character before, this is my first illusion mage type build) and even on Adept and Apprentice, I was getting wrecked by some high level Necromancers who rapid fire Ice Spike into my face. My character is essentially a modified version of “The Count” by FudgeMuppet, but with destruction instead of speech.

My current setup is as follows: https://skyrimcalculator.com/491222
I’m currently running approximately 330 magicka/200 health/130 stamina

The goal is to get all 5 ranks of arms man up to savage strike, specialize in fire or ice for Destro, go up either the necromancy or at atromancy line in conjuration, and finally get some points into smithing/enchanting and/or perhaps light armor. I definitely focused on the more spammy support skills first (stealth, illusion, and conjuration) at the expense of destruction and one handed. That said, illusion, stealth, and conjuration feature prominently in this build. I am using light armor vampire armor that has not yet been upgraded (smithing and enchanting are still on my to-do list). My next focus now that I have sneak and illusion where I want them is to boost up Destro and one handed. In the meantime however, my character feels incredibly weak. I never get a stealth killcam and more often than not, higher level vampires and the like will tank my stealth attack, turn around and flay me in 1-2 hits on Adept. Any advice for increasing my damage output and mitigating some of this weakness?
I used to have a signature like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

User Info: Tsukasa1891

Tsukasa1891
1 month ago#5
Impact will help as it stun locks enemies when you duel cast. Taking augmented flames will increase fire damage by 25/50%. Ice magic probably wont be to helpful as many things resist ice such as undead including vampires, nords are also the most common human enemy which also resist ice. Undead are also weak to fire, so a weapon with fire enchantment will help.

As for resisting damage, the lord stone gives you 50 armor ratting and 25% resistance to all magic. Doing the book of love quest in Riften will also give you another 15% magic resist. You get the quest from the dark elf monk. If you can resist the urge to kill the shop keeper at radiant raiment in Solitude, you can buy some really good enchanted jewelry with things like resist magic and fortify one handed.

User Info: dorkman

dorkman
1 month ago#6
Go untraditional and use Heavy Armor. Ebony Mail comes with a muffle enchantment. Combine that with skills in the sneak tree and your vampire blood that gives you 25% more sneak and you can just sit behind an opponent and watch then die from the poison effect from the ebony mail.
Switch Friend Code: SW-1913-5660-7511 Malsvir 3DS Friend Code: 1478-6242-6652 IGN: Malsvir

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
4 weeks ago#7
Just conjure stuff from as far away as possible and gank the enemy your summons is focusing on, over and over if you have to. Works a charm once you know what your doing. :)
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: Ritalinfiend

Ritalinfiend
3 days ago#8
KestrelFive posted...
Thanks, I ended up re-starting my build to fracture more destruction magic (has more of a vampire feel than archery). I will try to do both, in the sense that I’ll wear light armor but maybe invest some minimum perks into alteration.

I have a secondary question now: how do I get my character to not feel SO WEAK? I have been struggling with quests and dungeons, (I have never struggled with a Skyrim character before, this is my first illusion mage type build) and even on Adept and Apprentice, I was getting wrecked by some high level Necromancers who rapid fire Ice Spike into my face. My character is essentially a modified version of “The Count” by FudgeMuppet, but with destruction instead of speech.

My current setup is as follows: https://skyrimcalculator.com/491222
I’m currently running approximately 330 magicka/200 health/130 stamina

The goal is to get all 5 ranks of arms man up to savage strike, specialize in fire or ice for Destro, go up either the necromancy or at atromancy line in conjuration, and finally get some points into smithing/enchanting and/or perhaps light armor. I definitely focused on the more spammy support skills first (stealth, illusion, and conjuration) at the expense of destruction and one handed. That said, illusion, stealth, and conjuration feature prominently in this build. I am using light armor vampire armor that has not yet been upgraded (smithing and enchanting are still on my to-do list). My next focus now that I have sneak and illusion where I want them is to boost up Destro and one handed. In the meantime however, my character feels incredibly weak. I never get a stealth killcam and more often than not, higher level vampires and the like will tank my stealth attack, turn around and flay me in 1-2 hits on Adept. Any advice for increasing my damage output and mitigating some of this weakness?

When I’m playing a build that doesn’t use crafting, I keep my level low so that enemies don’t scale so high. Then you stay more powerful than your enemies. Right now I’m playing an Orc archer conjuror that only uses conjuration, archery, and light armor. I summon two Dremora lords and my bound bow and they usually slaughter everything before I can shoot anyone because enemy levels are so low.
"Candy. Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy."

User Info: ssn560

ssn560
3 days ago#9
Destruction is pretty weak in vanilla, so focus more on illusion. But don't even bother with the Master level Illusion spells unless you're going to lug around a bunch of really strong Fortify Illusion potions (& limit your leveling) as they seem to have been designed for Oblivion (where a maximum effective target level of 25 was actually "everyone regardless of their level") or use a mod that lets you raise their effective level (IIRC I have one installed that makes sets them to be affected by dual-casting as well as the usual perks).
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. Light armor or alteration for vampire lord build?
  • Post New Message