You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. What causes the 0 kb bug, the update or the Anniversary Edition?
TreeWolf 4 months ago#1
Or both?

I went back to my current game after a few months layoff and I haven't had any problems yet but...

I haven't gotten the Anniversary Edition yet and I won't if this is the problem. The update was forced on me as well as the cc content I didn't want in my game anymore. I paid real money for the cc I did want to keep and now it appears part of the problem is running mods with the cc items.

I like my mods and my cc. If the update is the problem or part of the problem this game is dead to me.
"By Grabthar's Hammer, you shall be avenged!" -Tev'meck- of the N.S.E.A. Protector.
c_s_tadsen 4 months ago#2
No one seems to actually know 100% for sure what causes the glitch. It existed before the recent update by a long while, that's for sure, lol. However, if player reports are to be believed, it also exists in older versions of the game without any CC content being downloaded.

In general, though, you're better off installing the update than not.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"
TreeWolf 4 months ago#3
Yeah, thanks...I've read that mixing mods and cc make it more likely. I'm using both now with a game I've had going off and on for a few months now and there hasn't been any problems. I'll just hope my luck lasts.
"By Grabthar's Hammer, you shall be avenged!" -Tev'meck- of the N.S.E.A. Protector.
(edited 4 months ago)
c_s_tadsen 4 months ago#4
It's really hard to pin down exactly what the cause is. About all that can be said for certain is that large amounts of mods and/or CC content increase the chance of it happening, and it's most likely a flaw in the game engine (since Fallout 4 has the exact same issue, and all they really share AFAIK is the core game engine.)

If you do encounter the glitch, there's only one thing I've seen that works to get around it... And it's both a long shot, and a one-off; if you don't do it immediately then you miss even the small chance of saving your file. I've personally used this successfully once out of three encounters with the glitch, so there's definitely some luck involved.

Immediately dashboard out of the game and restart the console. Don't even close the pop-up box, just force-close the game and do a full system restart to clear the console's cache. Occasionally- not always, just occasionally- this can keep your file from being corrupted so that it always has the glitch. This gives you a chance to turn off a few mods before loading back in, to hopefully keep it from happening again.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"
Sera67 4 months ago#5
The cause is pretty much unknown, hence why its never been fixed. Seen alot of posts across reddit and here, and Beth's Forums

USB back ups and other can help. (always good idea in general to do every week)

Have yet to have it happen... *knocks on wood*

Choco Cookies!
DuranDD 4 months ago#6
I just don’t understand how Playstation allows such a game that crashes and has tons of bugs and glitches on their platform. I got AE in hopes that the game is more stable. I had an amazing experience the first 20 hours in. Then it suddenly started crashing a LOT. I reinstalled the game but it didn’t help. I feel sad because…

Even tough I only experienced like 10% of the game. I think it is one of the best games I have played. But the crashing is simply unacceptable. I really don’t get why game platforms such as Playstation and Xbox would tolerate this for so many years. Also the news that TESVI is Xbox exclusive is so disappointing. However I do hope that Xbox players will get a stable game. If you ask me: stability should be one of the biggest priorities.

If not then this is good bye to an amazing but terrible unstable game series.
Adam_Ocelot 4 months ago#7
DuranDD posted...
I just don’t understand how Playstation allows such a game that crashes and has tons of bugs and glitches on their platform.

Two reasons I think, 1) the 0kb bug was not present at launch, the damage (sales) had already been done, and 2) it really does only affect PlayStation users, which leads me to believe that it is not a (Bethesda games) specific problem. If Sony were to make a stink about it (a la Cyberpunk), it would probably reflect pretty poorly on Sony as well if it is in fact an issue that is at least partially a hardware/software issue.

If you ask me: stability should be one of the biggest priorities.

Agreed completely, especially after the updates to F04 pretty much breaking Boston and this CC issue.
If only eye
could see
(edited 4 months ago)
GrimKusanagi 3 months ago#8
I got this on Fallout 4 about a week ago and I dodged it by immediately switching to a save from a different character and deleting the corrupt character.
GT: GrimKusanagi / Current Playing: Dragons Dogma: DA
Pawn: Shadow / Mage
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  3. What causes the 0 kb bug, the update or the Anniversary Edition?