You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM 2
  3. Could use a little beginner help, please?

User Info: Garetjax333

Garetjax333
2 months ago#1
I’m loving this game so far. It’s been so long since I played the first so maybe I’m forgetting a few things:
1. Every time I’m scanning an area for a few days or waiting on a drop, I get an “emergency” mission that interrupts it. Can I ignore any of these so I can finish what I was doing? If not, how can I get anything done?
2. What can I do when a character dies? It takes time to train them so I don’t want to lose them. I remember something about picking up another soldier’s body. Does that stop me from losing them?
3. Should I try to proceed with the main story (make contact with India for me at this point) or make contact with other areas to gain influence?

Thanks for any advice?
The good ol' days never existed. It's the coverage of negative news that increased significantly. www.goodnewsnetwork.org
FFRK ID# GfRd Shadow Shuriken Storm

User Info: Matty0289

Matty0289
2 months ago#2
You've probably found out the answer to some of these by now; but just incase not.

#1-You CAN Ignore these alerts, and Skip it, so you can finish Scanning something that has about less than a day remaining. However; if you don't do them within a very short deadline- you'll lose Contacts with the Region that said mission was in. So you'll have to pay Intel/Supplies to Contact/Radio Tower that area again. Unless it's a Guerilla Ops. In which case you CAN skip all 3 of these, but you'll end up facing 3 Dark Events at once instead of the remaining 2 that you didn't go for.

#2- When a character dies. There's really not much TO do. If they die, they die. You can reload your auto-saved game & re-try your move again when that soldier was still alive & continue on like nothing happened, or accept the loss and train more guys.
That's why it's not a good idea to place all your eggs in 1 basket. You need to be training new guys into specific Roles using the GTS, and trying to use everyone somewhat balanced, so you'll always have back-ups incase you lose a guy.

You can pick up a dead soldiers body & Evac with it so you can retain their equipment. Although, during missions where the mission ends after all Advent is dead & your Main Objective is complete, you still retain dead soldiers' equipment regardless of Evac'ing with their corpse or not. However, if it's a Forced-Evac mission, you might lose out on equipment if you don't bring along their corpse? I'm not 100% sure.

Alternatively; if a mission starts going badly, and you're concerned about losing a specific Soldier, just evac him before he dies. You can also buy the Upgrade at the GTS, that gives your soldiers more of a chance at "Bleeding Out" rather than flat out Dying, upon taking fatal damage. Requires a soldier to have the Ranking of "Major", however.

#3- You really can do as your please. I usually don't focus too heavily on the Story-Missions until I have Communications with a good amount of places, so I have a steady source of Supplies-Income. I'll usually do the Blacksite & Skulljack an Advent Officer around the time when I have 8-10 bars of the Avatar Progress filled up, since they each remove 1 Avatar Bar. But after those, I don't focus on those missions until usually after getting Plasma Weapons & Armor.
Many humans possess little or no sense of obligation at all. And many are entirely willing to trample their fellow man for personal gain.
-Wolf

Garetjax333
2 months ago#3
Matty0289 posted...
You've probably found out the answer to some of these by now; but just incase not.

#1-You CAN Ignore these alerts, and Skip it, so you can finish Scanning something that has about less than a day remaining. However; if you don't do them within a very short deadline- you'll lose Contacts with the Region that said mission was in. So you'll have to pay Intel/Supplies to Contact/Radio Tower that area again. Unless it's a Guerilla Ops. In which case you CAN skip all 3 of these, but you'll end up facing 3 Dark Events at once instead of the remaining 2 that you didn't go for.

#2- When a character dies. There's really not much TO do. If they die, they die. You can reload your auto-saved game & re-try your move again when that soldier was still alive & continue on like nothing happened, or accept the loss and train more guys.
That's why it's not a good idea to place all your eggs in 1 basket. You need to be training new guys into specific Roles using the GTS, and trying to use everyone somewhat balanced, so you'll always have back-ups incase you lose a guy.

You can pick up a dead soldiers body & Evac with it so you can retain their equipment. Although, during missions where the mission ends after all Advent is dead & your Main Objective is complete, you still retain dead soldiers' equipment regardless of Evac'ing with their corpse or not. However, if it's a Forced-Evac mission, you might lose out on equipment if you don't bring along their corpse? I'm not 100% sure.

Alternatively; if a mission starts going badly, and you're concerned about losing a specific Soldier, just evac him before he dies. You can also buy the Upgrade at the GTS, that gives your soldiers more of a chance at "Bleeding Out" rather than flat out Dying, upon taking fatal damage. Requires a soldier to have the Ranking of "Major", however.

#3- You really can do as your please. I usually don't focus too heavily on the Story-Missions until I have Communications with a good amount of places, so I have a steady source of Supplies-Income. I'll usually do the Blacksite & Skulljack an Advent Officer around the time when I have 8-10 bars of the Avatar Progress filled up, since they each remove 1 Avatar Bar. But after those, I don't focus on those missions until usually after getting Plasma Weapons & Armor.

Thanks a ton! I’m restarting my game and going to use your suggestions. It was getting annoying to have to do those emergency missions while my supplies dwindled to nothing.
The good ol' days never existed. It's the coverage of negative news that increased significantly. www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Matty0289
2 months ago#4
Garetjax333 posted...
Thanks a ton! I’m restarting my game and going to use your suggestions. It was getting annoying to have to do those emergency missions while my supplies dwindled to nothing.

Like I said though, it's a VERY short time period to finish scanning something & do the mission. Like, MAYBE half-a-day. So if you're starting to scan something & get an alert for a mission. And you decide to skip it, you'll get a warning. Then if you're lucky- you can finish scanning ( if it's less than half a day remaining, MAYBE?). But then you'll have to go to the mission asap or else it'll expire & you'll take the punishment. It's annoying at times, but I usually just do the mission when it pops up so I don't miss it. Since it usually requires me more than 1 day to finish scanning something anyways. You really don't want to lose contacts with regions you've already established contact with. That means you'd have essentially wasted resources.
Many humans possess little or no sense of obligation at all. And many are entirely willing to trample their fellow man for personal gain.
-Wolf

Garetjax333
2 months ago#5
Matty0289 posted...
Garetjax333 posted...

Like I said though, it's a VERY short time period to finish scanning something & do the mission. Like, MAYBE half-a-day. So if you're starting to scan something & get an alert for a mission. And you decide to skip it, you'll get a warning. Then if you're lucky- you can finish scanning ( if it's less than half a day remaining, MAYBE?). But then you'll have to go to the mission asap or else it'll expire & you'll take the punishment. It's annoying at times, but I usually just do the mission when it pops up so I don't miss it. Since it usually requires me more than 1 day to finish scanning something anyways. You really don't want to lose contacts with regions you've already established contact with. That means you'd have essentially wasted resources.

Hmmm. I guess I’ll just get better at juggling them. I just didn’t want to miss out on a supply cache because I had an emergency mission.

Matty0289
2 months ago#6
Supply/Intel/Soldier/Alloy/Etc. Caches' last a few days. So you really don't have to worry about juggling things much. Just go for what you need, or will need most in the next week or so. Occasionally things might expire if you're trying to make contact, scan this area for supplies, scan this area for intel, and other things all at once. But as long as you're prioritizing things you need most, you should be okay. Just always be doing something constructive in the world map & try to avoid "Scanning at HQ" unless you absolutely need to. Because of this: I typically make my Medical Facility *forget names* & GTS as my first 2 Facilities. That way I don't need to change my "Scanning Bonus" to "Heal Faster". Why would I wanna Scan at HQ to heal faster, if I can scan elsewhere- because I have a Medical Facility which heals faster? :-)

You might need to check out the Black Market for Engineers in the early/mid-game occasionally, if your game is un-kind to you and don't give you any missions to unlock them. On my most recent playthrough, I was getting NO Engineers at all, so I was forced to buy at least 1 or 2 from the Black Market just to have more than 1 or 2.
-Wolf
(edited 2 months ago)

Garetjax333
2 months ago#7
Matty0289 posted...
Supply/Intel/Soldier/Alloy/Etc. Caches' last a few days. So you really don't have to worry about juggling things much. Just go for what you need, or will need most in the next week or so. Occasionally things might expire if you're trying to make contact, scan this area for supplies, scan this area for intel, and other things all at once. But as long as you're prioritizing things you need most, you should be okay. Just always be doing something constructive in the world map & try to avoid "Scanning at HQ" unless you absolutely need to. Because of this: I typically make my Medical Facility *forget names* & GTS as my first 2 Facilities. That way I don't need to change my "Scanning Bonus" to "Heal Faster". Why would I wanna Scan at HQ to heal faster, if I can scan elsewhere- because I have a Medical Facility which heals faster? :-)

You might need to check out the Black Market for Engineers in the early/mid-game occasionally, if your game is un-kind to you and don't give you any missions to unlock them. On my most recent playthrough, I was getting NO Engineers at all, so I was forced to buy at least 1 or 2 from the Black Market just to have more than 1 or 2.

You rock! Thanks a million for all the help. My new game is going much more smoothly.

User Info: Breastmilkn_Dip

Breastmilkn_Dip
2 months ago#8
The game becomes unstable the further in you go. There are infuriating bugs, glitches and showstopping crashes galore awaiting you, depending on the length you want to take things to. I'd advise saving often and having a duplicate of your manual save.

Oscar See Through Red Eye
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM 2
  3. Could use a little beginner help, please?