You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM 2
  3. Does this game favor RNG over Tactics?

User Info: HongyokLives

HongyokLives
3 months ago#1
I get the feeling from the stuff I read that this game is too easy or too hard.... Which is it?

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
3 months ago#2
It's as easy or as hard as you make it. Your first couple playthrough may be brutal, but after that you'll have the knowledge to stomp alien ass, and they'll go much smoother.

RNG will definitely kick you in the teeth many times (such as whiffing 90+% shots at point blank range), but this is rare enough that I can't say the game favors RNG, as solid tactics will see you through almost every engagement in relatively good shape.

Basically, I'd say 95% tactics, 5% RNG. It'll definitely frustrate you sometimes, but that's part of the games charm, and as I said it's very infrequent.
"In the end we're all dicks".-ReiderAsmadi
Candy, tastes like chicken if chicken was a candy -Toki Wartooth

User Info: josifrees

josifrees
3 months ago#3
If you are playing extremely carefully/ smart you can minimize the RNG elements. It isn’t any different than any other game that has percentage based hit rates. You are going to miss 95% hit rates sometimes.

Any person saying this is primarily RNG isn’t being careful or moving intelligently
Quit Crying

User Info: Fizzle_Pork

Fizzle_Pork
3 months ago#4
You can still certainly minimize the impact of the RNG with solid tactics. But the damage/hit systems are still RNG based. So, even with perfect tactics you'll have times where the game just f***s you over multiple times in a row.

As far as it being too easy or too hard: I'd say that heavily depends on how well you perform in the first few months. If you keep getting damaged units that need to recover then you'll be forced to keep using rookies against ever increasing enemies which increases the chances of more units being injured due to lack of options. But, if you do well in the first few months it gets easier as you go on since you're building up stronger units faster. I'd compare it to a snowball rolling down hill and getting larger: the question is if that snowball is heading for you or the aliens.

User Info: HongyokLives

HongyokLives
3 months ago#5
Thanks, I guess I just lost faith in the game in the first few missions when I was 3 feet from the alien and I was getting 45% shot hit chance, kind of makes no sense and made me think that planning and positioning can't mean very much if at point blank im likely to miss the alien....

User Info: BauerKillz

BauerKillz
3 months ago#6
HongyokLives posted...
Thanks, I guess I just lost faith in the game in the first few missions when I was 3 feet from the alien and I was getting 45% shot hit chance, kind of makes no sense and made me think that planning and positioning can't mean very much if at point blank im likely to miss the alien....

Dude you aren't kidding. I uninstalled the game last night due to me being like 5 feet away from the last enemy with an advanced gatling gun and only a 22 percent chance to hit. It made absolutely zero sense and happens all the time to all of my characters, not to mention the countless misses at 95% chance to hit and above (I actually believe the percentages aren't accurate).

The game is infuriating beyond belief for many reasons and the RNG garbage is one of them. It has certainly wiped my squad many times in the past despite excellent to flawless tactics being utilized.

As an alternative, check out Invisible Inc sometime. Great strategy game similar to Xcom but without the insane myriad of needless frustration.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: scarface_jr

scarface_jr
3 months ago#7
BauerKillz posted...
HongyokLives posted...

Dude you aren't kidding. I uninstalled the game last night due to me being like 5 feet away from the last enemy with an advanced gatling gun and only a 22 percent chance to hit. It made absolutely zero sense and happens all the time to all of my characters, not to mention the countless misses at 95% chance to hit and above (I actually believe the percentages aren't accurate).

The game is infuriating beyond belief for many reasons and the RNG garbage is one of them. It has certainly wiped my squad many times in the past despite excellent to flawless tactics being utilized.

As an alternative, check out Invisible Inc sometime. Great strategy game similar to Xcom but without the insane myriad of needless frustration.

In my experience if you dont give them a scope and a hit chip they, grenaders don't hit 80% of their shots. Even with it they will still miss 97% shots -.-. I only have one on the squad due too it. I mainly have him too set up my snipers
PSN:ItsJustJoker GT:The Suprise Van Don't Stop Bolieving http://i.imgur.com/Dvt6NvW.jpg.

User Info: Nynz

Nynz
3 months ago#8
BauerKillz posted...
HongyokLives posted...

This is less "RNG Garbage" and more bad positioning or not undestanding the benefits / defenses each enemy has. You can open the aim tree on PS4 with L3 and it will show you how the aim is being calculated. Flanking an enemy will remove the benefits of their cover, conferring an extra 20 or 40% chance to hit. Some weapons also get bonuses based on distance, Bullpup and shotgun (and many other weapons) are more accurate up close, whereas sniper rifles are less accurate up close, and suffer a small penalty to aim through squadsight. Also add scopes to your weapons and try to get the interchangeable weapon mods breakthrough (or order) so you can swap them around to your active team.

That said, you can still feel the sting of RNG on even a 90%+ shot, or feel lady luck's guiding hand on a 20% shot. As others have stated if you play smart the game will be less rng and more good tactical decisions.
Arrogance destroys the footholds of victory. - Byakuya Kuchiki
PSN: Nynzy

User Info: Breastmilkn_Dip

Breastmilkn_Dip
3 months ago#9
BauerKillz posted...
HongyokLives posted...

If you ever change your mind and do an Ironman run, then find that your ace Sharpshooter with 121 Aim stat still manages to miss a 100% shot of an Elite Trooper in half-cover, you will then come to realise that XCOM 2 is the greatest, ultimate test of the robustness of the DS4 controller!

The Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts series are examples of what happens when potty training is given videogame form.

User Info: Breastmilkn_Dip

Breastmilkn_Dip
3 months ago#10
Or not. S'up to you.

(See if I care.)

The Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts series are examples of what happens when potty training is given videogame form.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM 2
  3. Does this game favor RNG over Tactics?