• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Exactly why this game is so much easier than vanilla

User Info: ninakoru

ninakoru
2 weeks ago#1
I breezed through the game, and wondered, like many of us why a more restricted system felt so much easier than the PS2 vanilla experience of the game. Googled it but didn't find anything clear enough, so I got through the numbers to get a more concrete idea of what's happening.

Spells and abilities: In vanilla everyone could eventually learn every spell and ability and you could get the most defining ones fairly soon from shops, with the job system you are much more restricted but is not a big issue, if you have at least one white mage, one black mage and one time mage you are fully covered, and now half of the weapons can hurt flying enemies so telekinesiss is not an issue.

Monster stats: Mostly unchanged since vanilla, outside some optional content of the game: Some hunting marks, a few espers, a few enemies in (optional) Zertinan Caverns. Outside the Archaeoaevis and maybe Ixion and Disma, which are way harder. all other changes are more like balance changes.

Character stats: Checking all the character native stats (HP; MP, Str, M.Pwr, Vit and Speed), are mostly the same, a 5% more growth magic power and a 5% less growth in HP: negligible.

Weapons: Weapon damage overall is not a big concern, damage output from weapons is more consistent, Greatswords stay the same, slight nerf to One-handed swords mid-game, everything else got slightly buffed, Daggers and Ninja swords really buffed: and needed due to the very low ATK paired with a low damage formula. This is fine as you are stuck with a few weapon types due to the job system.

The most defining factors that kill difficulty came from armor and license augments:

HP: In vanilla you got a +1000 HP from licenses, and they were spread around the big license board. In the zodiac system, HP boosts will range from 1000 HP to 3000 HP and are way easier to get, you could get 2.5k-3k HP toons at lvl 20 without extra grinding, on the original you would get about 1k HP at that point.

Battle and Magic lores: In the original, you get +5 Strength and Magic Power to all characters and that's it, with the zodiac system you get 12-16 Str/M.Pwr to each class efficient at magic/physical. That's about 20-25% more damage during the game, which pairs up really well with the more consistent damage from weapons.

Armor: They buffed up armor really hard, on the first third part of the game stays the same, but from that point (conveniently as is the point the game start to scale in difficulty) you get progressive buffs to defense and magic defense, due to how the defense is subtracted to enemy attack value before any multiplication, I think this one is the main factor that enables ROLFstomping most of the game. On the original only heavy armor allowed to tank a bit, both mystic and light were fairly weak defense-wise, and the other way around with magic defense: only mystic head stand out for good magic defense. You could mix any types of armor but you would trade magic/physical specialization for defenses. With the job system changes, you get a mystic armor that has the same level of physical defense of the vanilla heavy armor.

Two jobs: Previous comparisons mostly from International version vs Vanilla, but with the zodiac age and the two job system, things got even crazier, you can boost any role even further or cover weaknesses: White/Black mages with 3 swiftness and 3k HP? no prob, slap in a monk.
I am the name for the dead beings - St. Eva

User Info: Karifean

Karifean
2 weeks ago#2
That's pretty interesting, thanks for taking the time to do this ^^ didn't realize armor got buffed so heavily.

User Info: bomebohm

bomebohm
2 weeks ago#3
Besides what you said, don't forget about removing 9999 damage too. In IZJS and TZA, you can even deal 100,000 damage in some situation.

ninakoru
2 weeks ago#4
Yeah, fotgot to mention the removal of the damage cap. However is more of a post-endgame thing.

User Info: PsymunGundam

PsymunGundam
2 weeks ago#5
Another thing is the fact that all gambits are unlocked after Barheim Passage, rather than over the course of the game. In particular, all the Foe: [element]-weak gambits were only available after Treaty-Blade (or you need to find them as rare items in chests), and I remember having a hard time using any spells in the original.

User Info: WeWerePirates

WeWerePirates
2 weeks ago#6
As other have mentioned damage cap is a massive change to weapon damage. Also effect queue has gone in practise in TZA

ninakoru posted...

Character stats: Checking all the character native stats (HP; MP, Str, M.Pwr, Vit and Speed), are mostly the same, a 5% more growth magic power and a 5% less growth in HP: negligible.

Base Magick has a pretty hefty buff. 7-9 points at level 99. Making 99 Mag much more atianable, along with lifting the damage cap and the how scaling with Magick works is a pretty big deal.

ninakoru
2 weeks ago#7
As I said before, all my point is more focused on game progression, not endgame. In endgame they cared about giving some challenge with the buffs to some late optional hunts, bosses and espers, but the normal game is left largely untouched.

You will get to normal endgame (Bahamut enabled) with about lvl 50, and something between lvl 70 to 80 with all of the post-game content cleared, all the items and all the stuff.

You get from 12-16 Mag from board lores.
You get 16 to 20 Mag from the four most powerful parts of mystic gear.
You also get 6-8 extra Mag from an endgame Rod/Staff.
Al lvl 50, you get 41 average magic from chars, 5 more with TZA attribute update.

All thing in, is from 75 -> 80 to 85 -> 90 Mag total the difference of those stats (Lvl 50). Mag is another multiplier, like level, the spell power is the one that works against Magic Def with a sustraction formula.

I insist is not that big of a deal: not that you will ROLFstomp enemies with that increase alone. You also begin to overflow the old 9999 cap at endgame - post-endgame, starting with weak element damage of big spells and greatswords.

User Info: WeWerePirates

WeWerePirates
2 weeks ago#8
Hitting 99 Mag in mid-game really isn't that hard now. In contrast in vanilla you needed a high Mag character at level 99 with best equipment and accessory or weapon on anyone other than Ashe. That is a pretty big change when taken along with the effect queue being gone and damage cap being lifted (you can break 9999 fairly early on spells by stacking enough bonuses).

This is actually a pretty well trod topic on this board...
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: serpentaurus

serpentaurus
1 week ago#9
Autosave ruin the game for me
Now playing: Overwatch, MK11, CTR:NF, DQ11

User Info: Hinnyuu

Hinnyuu
1 week ago#10
serpentaurus posted...
Autosave ruin the game for me
You know you can just... not use it, right?
If you never load an autosave file and only load from cystals, it's literally as though autosave didn't exist.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  3. Exactly why this game is so much easier than vanilla
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A